Apogee Statues

UNTLifer

I love the Joe Greene statue that was unveiled last year.  What an awesome addition to Apogee and an honor to a man that truly deserves all UNT bestows upon him.  I was recently thinking about some other statues/busts/plaques that could be added to the stadium in the coming years.  I would love to see something honoring Abner Haynes and Leon King for breaking the color barrier and maybe a "Wall of Fame" honoring those that have had great careers.  I also think we are about to watch the senior year of a young man that will deserve a statue at some point in Mr. Mason Fine.  If that is done in the future, I hope his statue is on the side where the students enter and not too close to the one of Mr. Greene.  I wish this for two reasons, one, because he deserves his own place, and two, if placed by the one of Mr. Greene, I didn't want people thinking it was the kid from the Coke commercial.

• Haha 2

Abner Haynes has to be next; especially while he’s living.  

Abner Haynes Legacy

• Integrated a traditionally Texas Caucasian university along with Dr Leon King—10 years before SMU’s Jerry Levias & UH’s Warren McVae.

•  Look magazine All American when that publication was the premier All America team.

• An alum told me Lamar Hunt signed him to a Texans/later Chiefs contract in a Fouts Field end zone following his last game at NT.  Mr. Hunt also called Abner the first true superstar of the AFL. 

GMG!

The late Ron Shanklin called Abner “Father Time!”😆  

❇️ OLD STORY SOME OF YOU HAVE HEARD:      Back in the 80’s, Shank’ & Haynes came to FW on a recruiting trip for Corky Nelson. They dropped by my office & so the 3 of us would go eat lunch  at Dos Gringos.  Long story short...Abner told Ron & I about the time NT took a train down to Houston to play the UH Coogs. The hotel the team would stay in was conveniently near the train tracks.  It was the Jim Crowe era so Abner & Dr. King were told blacks were not welcome in the hotel so.....all the white NT players told hotel management if Haynes & King  weren’t allowed inside, they’d just as soon sleep on the train with them & so they did.  

GMG!

• Upvote 3

On 8/30/2019 at 1:46 PM, Talon90 said:

Does anybody know when or if our past championships will be displayed?  I didn't see anything last year.

_10_628_fouts_sunset_001_pressbox_cr.jpg

I believe that info is posted on some of the pillars around the concourse. There’s a lot of historical information posted on each of the pillars.