CUSA early scores-Thursday night games

Marty

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Non CUSA, but Cal looks mediocre against Cincy. Cincy up 17-14 in the 4th

Edit, I am dumb, this is UCLA and not Cal. Too many beers.

Also, too many bears!

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

SHIT. MY BAD. They all run together

Seriously!

UCLA Bruins

Cal Golden Bears

Cinci Bearcats!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

I’m sorry but didn’t wku do this last year too?  That is a really embarrassing loss for the conference. Get prairie view or Bethune cookman avoid south and North Dakota state and the south land which can field some decent programs: Sam Houston etc...

let’s get focused boys. The purple people eater are gonna pour into Denton itching for an upset.

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 4

Central Arkansas is a solid football program.  They nearly beat Tulsa last year. And are two seasons removed from a 10-2 year.

Tulane is on the rise, has been recruiting well and won their bowl game last year vs ULL.  They are going to surprise some people.

Im not dismissing our conference losses to them but it’s football.  It happens.  Had not been for a late gift fumble on their own 25 South Dakota State ($19 Million budget) would have beaten Minnesota ($102 Million budget) last night. 

Lets win this conference first before we trash it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Central Arkansas is a solid football program.  They nearly beat Tulsa last year. And are two seasons removed from a 10-2 year.

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Had not been for a late gift fumble on their own 25 South Dakota State ($19 Million budget) would have beaten Minnesota ($102 Million budget) last night. 

FCS teams win against FBS opponents about 10% of the time. Some years a little less. Some years a  little more. Just often enough to keep FCS teams dreams of an upset alive. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Marty said:

All final:

UAB 24 Alabama St 19

WKU 28 Central Arkansas 35

Charlotte 49 Gardner Webb 28

FIU 14 Tulane 42

I can't say I'm surprised by any of those scores, with the exception of that whooping Tulane put on FIU.   FIU is supposed to be a top 2 team in C-USA East!  That game should be competitive.

9 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

We can't throw stones (Portland St)

But we better win conference this year.

I have said that I'll take CUSA west over MWC. Nah I'm done.

Bring on the MWC we gotta get out of this.

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

MacLeod.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

You people seem more bummed about the strength of the conference and less excited that we may not blow 2 double digit halftime leads this season.

Nailed it.

The positive spin to last night is that we have fewer teams than we thought that might rise up and beat us.  The way to get to Boise's level is with 10-11 win seasons, not 8-9.  People seem to forget that they regularly (like every single season) had the weakest SOS in the country while they were on their big run and rise.  They were in the WAC, with only Fresno putting up a fight most years.  

Our schedule is absolutely perfect for where we are at.  We just need to go out and dominate it.  That will bring in more interest and more donors, which leads to bigger budgets, better facilities and better recruiting.  Jumping to the MWC or AAC now would land us squarely in the bottom half of the conference budget wise.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I just don't get the excitement around FIU's program.  FAU was all Lil' Briles and has come back down to earth.  Both of those schools sold their souls for coaches with checkered pasts, similar to Liberty, and will suffer the consequences.

We need to focus on us and us only.  We have the ability to have a very special year this year.  Same as last year when we quickly learned what happens when you lose focus and let up on your opponents.  I love the culture Littrell has established around our program.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Not a good look for the conference so far. Marshall NT  and then maybe LaTech, USM and FAU kind of need to keep the conference looking decent. I am fairly afraid of UTSA and UTEP also loosing to FCS this week.

UTEP plays a really bad Houston Baptist team and should win easily.  UIW and UTSA could be a close game. 

22 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

You people seem more bummed about the strength of the conference and less excited that we may not blow 2 double digit halftime leads this season.

8 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Nailed it.

The positive spin to last night is that we have fewer teams than we thought that might rise up and beat us.  The way to get to Boise's level is with 10-11 win seasons, not 8-9.  People seem to forget that they regularly (like every single season) had the weakest SOS in the country while they were on their big run and rise.  They were in the WAC, with only Fresno putting up a fight most years.  

Our schedule is absolutely perfect for where we are at.  We just need to go out and dominate it.  That will bring in more interest and more donors, which leads to bigger budgets, better facilities and better recruiting.  Jumping to the MWC or AAC now would land us squarely in the bottom half of the conference budget wise.  

I can get behind this logic

• Upvote 2

Look, I hope we win CUSA, but it’s now ranked lower than the SBC. It’s ok to admit that it isn’t great overall, even if it’s the best we have probably ever had. 

Winning the league only matters if you beat somebody decent OOC to get the attention of casual fans and the media. Not terribly different than our SBC days when we walloped the competition in conference play, but often looked overwhelmed outside of it when people were watching to see how we would match up.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, I hope we win CUSA, but it’s now ranked lower than the SBC. It’s ok to admit that it isn’t great overall, even if it’s the best we have probably ever had. 

Winning the league only matters if you beat somebody decent OOC to get the attention of casual fans and the media. Not terribly different than our SBC days when we walloped the competition in conference play, but often looked overwhelmed outside of it when people were watching to see how we would match up.

As others have said, let’s win the conference before we bitch how much better we are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1