Column: Why Khairi Muhammad shouldn’t be a team captain

Skipper

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Am i to assume that most who have responded to this article in the very negative see no problem with someone being a part of and/or finding it amusing to watch and video animal cruelty/abuse? This wasn't something that happened 5 or 6 years ago. It was just a few months ago. Cruelty to animals is on the checklist of behaviors of sociopaths.......and chronic child abusers.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the player who was flagged for spitting on an opponents player?

Wondered who would be the first to bring up this other weird overplayed story. 

Now NT has made a budding sociopath and child abuser captain of the football team. 

What a load, if you really believe that I question why you continue to support the team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Nice to see NT Daily hasn't changed a bit.  Not a bit of investigative journalism was done.  If he had, would've figured out that he was voted a captain his TEAMMATES.  To imply that the program would need an overhaul if Khairi wasn't punished is a joke.  This article is pure opinion and you would think the author/editor would know that.

• Upvote 5

I’ve never been on board with the “transparency” argument.  I think it comes from a person that feels entitled to know everything.

1) Yes, we want accountability, and

2) Yes, we want to protect those who can’t speak for themselves, but...

...no, there are still situations where things shouldn’t be public knowledge.

• Upvote 2

Can we really be surprised this article exists? There’s a prevalent belief in our society that athletes get special privileges and the fact that there was no discernible repercussions for what was a very public display of illegal activity plays right into that narrative. It’s a bit of a hot take because the author doesn’t know what happened behind closed doors, but neither do we. “I’m sure they handled it because they have ‘disciplined’ in their slogan” probably shouldn’t fly (we would be thrashing SMU if this story was about them). On that note, the “what these other teams are doing is worse, so we shouldn’t be worried about what our guy did” isn’t a great argument either. Yeah, I’m sure he has grown from his mistake (I know I’ve grown from mine) and is 100% deserving of the title of captain as I believe that this group of kids wouldn’t choose a sociopath to represent their team. That said, I think we can all agree that the optics are bad. 

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Can we really be surprised this article exists? There’s a prevalent belief in our society that athletes get special privileges and the fact that there was no discernible repercussions for what was a very public display of illegal activity plays right into that narrative. It’s a bit of a hot take because the author doesn’t know what happened behind closed doors, but neither do we. “I’m sure they handled it because they have ‘disciplined’ in their slogan” probably shouldn’t fly (we would be thrashing SMU if this story was about them). On that note, the “what these other teams are doing is worse, so we shouldn’t be worried about what our guy did” isn’t a great argument either. Yeah, I’m sure he has grown from his mistake (I know I’ve grown from mine) and is 100% deserving of the title of captain as I believe that this group of kids wouldn’t choose a sociopath to represent their team. That said, I think we can all agree that the optics are bad. 

You're wrong.  He's destined to be a sociopath and/or a child abuser....

5-52442-ron-burgundy-its-science-gif.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Enlighten me, what illegal activity?  There is nothing in that video that to my knowledge is illegal.   I don't think Texas even has laws pertaining to cruelty to wild animals, only pets and livestock. 

Not mine or most's cup of tea, but being videoed at an event that was certainly ill advised if not illegal; is hardly criminal.   

You are right, the optics are horrible, and I believe training dogs to kill is awful.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think Texas even has laws pertaining to cruelty to wild animals, only pets and livestock. 

As much as I think this story is overblown, in Texas, cruelty to a trapped wild animal is against the law from what I remember researching when this initially happened. That being said, I heard it happened in Oklahoma and I don't know what Oklahoma's laws are.  Additionally, there were a lot of armchair hunters that seemed to know a lot about "well that's not how you train dogs to hunt" but I think there could be a strong legal defense to saying that you were trying to teach the dogs to hunt.

In my opinion, it's all much ado about a damn raccoon.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Am i to assume that most who have responded to this article in the very negative see no problem with someone being a part of and/or finding it amusing to watch and video animal cruelty/abuse? This wasn't something that happened 5 or 6 years ago. It was just a few months ago. Cruelty to animals is on the checklist of behaviors of sociopaths.......and chronic child abusers.

Assume what you want, but I didn't see a video of Khairi snipping raccoon tendons with rusty scissors.  He just videoed dogs attacking a raccoon.

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the player who was flagged for spitting on an opponents player?

That's one player's word against Khairi's.  If I remember correctly, the ref wasn't even in place to see what happened and the replay didn't have an angle on it either.

But you're going to believe what you want and that's fine. Using armchair psychology to attack random people on the internet and tearing down a young man's reputation must be really fulfilling.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

Whenever a NT Daily writer has a lukewarm take, they always act like its some deep, hard edge Pulitzer content. It's painfully sophomoric and it would be funny if it didn't make UNT students and alumni look dumb as shit.

in fairness...I look back on my writing, creative or otherwise, from when I was 20-ish and cringe. it is very common to attempt a mature voice at that age and very rare to actually pull it off. also in fairness to the Daily, I do recall in the last 5 years or so our school paper actually did have a pretty solid writer...I want to say Scott something(?)

as to the topic at hand...I do agree with the general premise. be it a raccoon, a rat, a tick...anything...Khairi was a part of a public film portraying the cruel killing of an animal. if your 12 year old did that, you're probably investing heavily in therapy. 

I have the utmost faith that the situation was properly dealt with internally. We don't need the details to be made public as this guy writes...but we probably do need a better consideration of optics and at least the view of accountability. 

I think real leadership would've been going to Khairi...explaining that the team and the coaches still view him as a captain and leader, but that actions have consequences and the public title of captain would reflect poorly

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

27 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

A bunch of grown men getting triggered by an opinion piece in a student newspaper and we’re worried about millennials?

No, we're upset about the hit piece on by almost all accounts an upstanding young man that made a mistake.  We're outraged by the outrage culture, if you will.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think real leadership would've been going to Khairi...explaining that the team and the coaches still view him as a captain and leader, but that actions have consequences and the public title of captain would reflect poorly

Kinda like, "not the Assistant General Manager, but the Assistant to the General Manager."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

A bunch of grown men getting triggered by an opinion piece in a student newspaper and we’re worried about millennials?

😆 One of the funniest posts ever! 

Remember all of Mason Fine’s naysayers on this forum when Littrell recruited him?  I do & will say a bunch of us were not part of that group.  

Let SL & his coaches run this team & deal with such matters because that’s what they get paid to do—we’re to buy tickets, show up & root like a bat out of hell for Khairi & his teammates.  (Remember when we were all once 18-21 years old)? 😳

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Where are the quotes from Khari, his teammates, and/or the coaches explaining how he was chosen as captain and reflecting his side of the story. This is all one sided. For UNT that has such a good School of Journalism, this guy really needs to take some more classes on how to get both sides of the story. 

YOU ARE NOT SKIP BAYLESS.... 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Sports writers should be independent and honest. but this article reeks.

Right before the first game of the year, he chooses to bring an old much covered story.

Obviously, the team and coaches have a lot of confidence in Mohammed to name him captain.  I suspect they know a little more about his character than can be gleaned from the reported unfortunate incident. 

Not a sports article...an opinion piece.  But, a ridiculous hit piece against a fellow student.  Shameful in my opinion and the article reeks of bias and a lack of knowledge regarding how captains are selected, etc., etc.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

Not a sports article...an opinion piece.  But, a ridiculous hit piece against a fellow student.  Shameful in my opinion and the article reeks of bias and a lack of knowledge regarding how captains are selected, etc., etc.

The raccoon didn’t think it was a hit piece. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Enlighten me, what illegal activity?  There is nothing in that video that to my knowledge is illegal.   I don't think Texas even has laws pertaining to cruelty to wild animals, only pets and livestock. 

Not mine or most's cup of tea, but being videoed at an event that was certainly ill advised if not illegal; is hardly criminal.   

You are right, the optics are horrible, and I believe training dogs to kill is awful.  

Believe this happened in Oklahoma. However, Oklahoma has no state law against such activity.  I also believe that Kari simply filmed the activity of others.  While I question why he was even there in the first place, the hit piece by this opinion writer is ridiculous!

• Upvote 1