Men's Bball Recruiting News

UNTLifer

Posted by Cooley. Not sure what website he got this information from.

Response to my question about UNT recruiting

"They're trying hard with Collin County PG Isaac Hines, who was in this week on an unofficial visit. According to Bret Swanson of Swanny's Review in Illinois, the Mean Green hosted 6-6 Moberly (MO) PF/C Chris White last weekend. Other names are bound to surface, so stay tuned!"

Russ Blake

Cooley and Buford Julep are two of the most connected posters in basketball circles. Looks like some needed size, although I hope we find and sign someone about 4 inches taller.

Guest e-bone

Looks like some needed size, although I hope we find and sign someone about 4 inches taller.

So does every other college basketball team in the country.

This was posted by SUMG today.

I'm sure that Cooley has already revealed this guy's name.....but if not:

Berry Jordan 6'8", 220, PF, Kilgore Junior College.

(We're one of the schools that are in on him, according to The Insiders basketball recruiting service). Don't know if we have a shot at him or not (he may have committed elsewhere) but he is more highly rated that either Quincy Williams or Sturns.

Also, JJ offered (from what I read) a scholly to a high schooler from Baton Rouge, but I think the kid will seek higher profile schools to play for. His name is Tryus Thomas (Baton Rouge McKinley). He's 6'8, 175....but from what I read, this Ty Thomas can play.

Chris White is listed at 6'6 280. Seems like a stretch. Averaged 11 points and was not in the top 10 in the conference or top 2 rebounders on his team. His team also had 3 all conference players and he was not one of them. Maybe more to the story, but he does not seem to be a high level recruit.

Guest e-bone

DD should take at look at him for OL. Now if he was 7'2 I'd really be excited for him and basketball.

If he was 7'2" he would be going to Texas.

People must realize that we can't just go out and pick up a 7 footer.

If he was 7'2" he would be going to Texas.

People must realize that we can't just go out and pick up a 7 footer.

Not necessarily. You occasionally see a 7 footer end up at a less distinguished program. It's usually because they aren't exactly the most co-ordinated or refined player. They are projects.

Actually back in '96 or so I believe we landed a 7 footer. He only stayed a season though.

Guest e-bone

Not necessarily. You occasionally see a 7 footer end up at a less distinguished program. It's usually because they aren't exactly the most co-ordinated or refined player. They are projects.

Actually back in '96 or so I believe we landed a 7 footer. He only stayed a season though.

Exactly my point. 7 footers are rare, and the vast majority of the good ones go to top tier programs. And I'm tired of hearing people say "well we just need to go get a dominant big man" like it is an easy thing to do. People do the same thing with the Mavericks. They say the Mavs should go out and get someone who can compete with Shaq and Duncan. Well guys, there are two people that can compete with Shaq and Duncan, and that is Shaq and Duncan.

off my soapbox now

You're thinking of Sean "Big City" Riley who lasted three years, before transferring to Illinois State, when Jankovich was fired. Sean was a very bright kid, and planned on being a doctor. Can you imagine a doctor who's a 7-footer?

NT also had John Horrocks who was a 7-footer, and I believe another at one time. Usually they are projects when we get them.

NT also had John Horrocks who was a 7-footer, and I believe another at one time. Usually they are projects when we get them.

Doug Schindler from Pilot Point was another post, 6' 11" I believe, with some of the worst hands ever.

Texas Hoops lists no 7 footers in the class of 2004.

Just four players over 6'9 are mentioned in the Top 100. None over 6'9 are mentioned among Texas "top unsigned seniors" list or Texas "on the bubble" seniors list or the Texas "best of the rest" seniors list.

the players mentioned are:

1. 6-11 Marcus Aldridge (signed by Texas)

2. 6-10 Connor Atchley (Texas)

3. 6-10Trent Plaisted (Brigham Young)

4. 6-10 Carl Nelson (Texas A&M Corpus Christi)

Nelson is obviously a project. He was rated #83. Since Jank was fired, NT has never signed a player rated worse than #80.

There just aren't enough really big guys to go around.