Clemens and Pettite give up a lot of fly balls, and those could turn into homers at Minute Maid. I do expect them to rack up some wins and provide experience, but secondary numbers could be average.

If Berkman can get back to his old form, their offense will be a major force. But we all know Bagwell and Biggio aren't getting younger and their numbers reflect that the last few seasons. Now that Ensberg has third all to himself, he could put up some good numbers.

As good as the Astros rotation is, I think the Cubs is better. Clement and Zambrano are often overlooked because of Prior, Maddux, and Wood, but they are very talented themselves. Also, Sammy had an "off" year and hit 40 homeruns, add Derek Lee and the Cubs lineup is not one to sleep on.

The good news for both teams is that they get to play the Brewers, Pirates, and Reds in the division. That means that the wild card is likely to come out of the Central, whoever loses out in the Cubs Astros race. The NL Central is 6 teams and half of them are weak. I wish the Rangers were in a division like that.

The Rangers have lost a couple of close games out in Oakland. Very frustrating. Two losses by a combined 3 runs. Jeff Nelson flat out lost the game after a great performance by Kenny Rogers the other night, and what little I saw of last night's game, Chan Ho was rolling. Today they face Barry Zito who is awesome, and even more awesome at home.

What happend to Oswalt the other day? He is on my fantasy team and I was watching the live updates and he was rolling, and next time I check it, BAM, he has a higher ERA and doesn't get the win.

Guest e-bone

The Rangers have lost a couple of close games out in Oakland.  Very frustrating.  Two losses by a combined 3 runs.  Jeff Nelson flat out lost the game after a great performance by Kenny Rogers the other night, and what little I saw of last night's game, Chan Ho was rolling.  Today they face Barry Zito who is awesome, and even more awesome at home.

What happend to Oswalt the other day?  He is on my fantasy team and I was watching the live updates and he was rolling, and next time I check it, BAM, he has a higher ERA and doesn't get the win.

They left Oswalt in to face Barry Bonds and Bonds hit a home run on him.

I watched the Rangers game and Chan Ho Park pitched really well minus a short stretch in the 6th when he gave up a triple, single, and home run in a row. But the triple really could have been an out or a double at the worst if Mench was a better fielder. It hit off the wall and he just wasn't tall enough or able to jump high enough to get it. He should have played the bounce off the wall but thought he was Ken Griffey Jr. or something and cost the Rangers a triple.

Even though Chan Ho got the loss, he still pitched really well. He struck out 8 through 7 2/3 and only had 95 pitches I believe. If he can keep his ERA in the 4 area this year it would be huge for the Rangers.

MHO:

Rogers

Solid effort and got betrayed by the pen.

7 IP and several Ks.

Chan Ho-

I thought he pitched really well, and had real good control 85-90% of the time.

The ump had a little but of a large strike zone, and Park was able to take advantage of it. We will have to see what happens when the zone is small or normal size.

On the 6th inning, the ball Mench misplayed probably should have only been a double. Because the runner was on 3rd and not 2nd, the Rangers tried to save the run and play up. Had he been on 2nd, the ball probably would have been fielded and you would have had a runner on 3rd with 2 out leading 1-0.

The Dye HR was not lacated where he wanted it, but still was high and in, a ball that only a hitter in a groove can hit, let alone drive out.

He went 7.2 and had 95 pitcher and only about 20 of those were balls. 8 Ks and only 1 BB.

Cobra Lewis

Decent control, but 4 BB too many. 5 Ks is good for 5.1. Pitch count hight for only 5.1.

One bad mistake all game and it was the only run OAK got, a high tight fastball to Dye.

All his pitches were working, just as Parks were.

Homerun to Dye was last hit he allowed, but only faced 1-2 after him.

Bullpen

Was terrible on Monday, but was terriffic today.

Walked maybe 1, but gave up 0 hits with about 3 Ks.

Props to Cordero. He had over 30 pitches in the 1.2 inning save and was able to overcome the Soriano error.

Fielding

3 games. 3 errors. 3 errors by Soriano, but deserved only 2.

Mench more than made up for Tuesday with some plays he made today.

Nivar is also playing very well, running into the wall and covering for Soriano today and picking up Mench yesturday.

Hitting

Not too good, but against the 3-headed monster they faced, not too shabby.

---------------------------------

3 games in, the Rangers have an ERA of 3.24

I was pleased with the way the Rangers played in Oakland, especially today.

Too bad there isn't a break in the AL West. I'm very jealous of the Astros getting to play the Reds, Pirates, and Brewers that often...

Colby Lewis' pitch count was WAY too high for 5 and a third but hey, he did a good job and when it comes to starting pitching we need to take what we get.

On another note, break up the Tigers! biggrin.gif

Has anybody looked at the standings?

I thought it was weird to see the whole National League East division tied at .500 and the every other win lose Streak, I don't remember seeing that before.

Team..........W..L.. Avg..GB..Home..Road..East....Cent...West....L10....Strk

Atlanta.........1..1_.500...-......1-1.....0-0.....1-1......0-0.......0-0......1-1......W 1

Florida..........1..1_.500...-......1-1.....0-0.....1-1......0-0.......0-0......1-1......L 1

Montreal.......1..1_.500...-......0-0.....1-1.....1-1......0-0.......0-0......1-1......W 1

N.Y. Mets.......1..1_.500...-......0-0.....1-1.....1-1......0-0.......0-0......1-1......L 1

Philadelphia...1..1_.500...-......0-0.....1-1.....0-0......1-1.......0-0......1-1......W 1

Copyright © 2004 SportsLine.com, Inc. All rights reserved. CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc.