Coach's Show

UNTLifer

I sat next to a young man named Preston.  He said he was a writer for the Daily.  He seemed surprised that the Coach shows had been going on for so long.  That got us discussing how long the Coach Show had been going on.  I remember it used to be at what is now called "The Dive."  Someone mentioned that the show started at the first version of Sweetwater Grill.   Good crowd.  Always fun.

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN 

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I sat next to a young man named Preston.  He said he was a writer for the Daily.  He seemed surprised that the Coach shows had been going on for so long.  That got us discussing how long the Coach Show had been going on.  I remember it used to be at what is now called "The Dive."  Someone mentioned that the show started at the first version of Sweetwater Grill.   Good crowd.  Always fun.

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN 

The Corky Nelson show was always filmed in the Student Union.

Rick

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN 

the first year that Hooters was open they hosted the coaches show.  that was 2006.  

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Show started, as best I remember in 1983 as Corky's Corner in the Rock Bottom Lounge (with free beer) in the basement of the old Union and was always hosted by Bill Mercer. It was several years later that George Dunham and Craig Miller took over, and that was at a place called TJ's Sandwich Shop on Eagle & Bernard. Then Dunham hosted it for many years at the Sheraton/Radisson,  Texas Pick Up, Tia's, El Guapo's, Hooters, Sweetwater Grill, and finally Rudy's by the start of McCarney's tenure.

Hank and George have been doing the shows together since the mid 90's and Dave Barnett joined Hank a few years ago. I have witnessed what started out as one coach, one host, one school reporter, and often one fan (me) gradually turn into what must be one of the better, and most professional, coach's shows in the country.

I also don't think my frustration was too veiled when the only promotion for this season's shows was "somewhere out there in the twitterverse" 

***Oh, and I still wish they'd do post-game shows from the Alumni Pavilion. This is a HUGE missed opportunity every week.***

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Went to the KNTU website this AM expecting to listen to a recorded version of it, all I found was the last one from last season.

I’m told KNTU is going through some transitions and it may be a bit before they are able to get their website updated with this. 

• Sad 1