Wishin’, & Hope’n This Series Could Be An Annual Home & Home

PlummMeanGreen

Read on GMG from one of you that “In Wren We Trust” is actually talking with Army for future games which is great because they bring fans to Apogee & are a fun group to be around at tailgate gatherings & elsewhere.  They are now in the AP Top 25 & that’s the kind of pedigree opponent we need for the exposure with New York & Eastern sportswriters.

• Here is the last time we played them at West Point which some of you said was an outstanding & fun road trip in the Fall in a beautiful part of the USA. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

Army travels far better than any of the other academies. That’s why they’re an independent they can afford to not be in a conference. Yeah some of their players didn’t exactly have good sportsmanship to say the least. The context of that game at Apogee was two teams that have played each other close and had emotional games every time. If you’re strictly talking about national exposure and a challenging opponent then Army fits the bill. The other academies are struggling hard right now. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, drex said:

From earlier comments on this board, they play dirty and we are better for not running across them very often.

A HFC can stop the dirty playing unless that’s part of his Game Plan?   Monken doesn’t seem to be the type, but he could have chewed out one particular player who tried to dismember one of our receivers.  

For over 100 years of which some of us are closing in on half of that number (& some of you well over 50 yrs. as Mean Green fans ); but what Ive noticed in my almost half century is how so few schools we ever play bring any significant number of fans, least of all their marching bands.

The UH game on 9/28 will be a great standard for what UNT should strive for in opponents.  No CUSA school save 2 or 3 will rarely bring fans to Apogee.  

UH could very well be a Top 25 ranked team once the Coogs arrive at Apogee—Army already is (for now). If Top 25 is part of our football program’s mission statement, we’ll need respect &  votes from the eastern part of the USA. 

After the 1975, 1976, 1977 & 1978 seasons I thought we were well on our way up the NCAA D1 ladder a la a few former Missouri Valley Conference—mates but then.....things happened.  

Now will be the new golden age of Mean Green football for UNT students & for UNT’s older alums & fans—the timing of all this couldn’t have been better. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The triple option offense is antiquated and lends no help for the coaches or kids to play against. Not only will they never see that offense run outside of the service academies, but there is trapping/cutting/chop blocking EVERY SINGLE DOWN. That lends to more injuries, and the complete 180 they have to pull in order to prepare for them is a total mental drain as well, especially midseason.

It may make sense for the fans, but Wren is clearly more concerned about his student athletes, and what makes sense for them, and I am completely grateful for that. I would much rather have a front 7 that doesn't have their knees blown out against a team that cuts them every play than travel to the Hudson valley once every other year

• Upvote 4

A fellow Mean Greener & good friend has been touting BYU as an OOC foe at Apogee for years.I told him “we don’t have ample bicycle parking racks to handle their crowd.” 🙄 (Dad joke of the day—but why am I the only one laughing).🤔🙃

Seriously,  there’d be Mormons all over the Apogee pre-game tailgate areas & they’d probably bring more of their DFW contingency to Denton than (maybe) UH will on 9/28. (Wouldn’t sell much beer, though).

Bottom line truth be told is we all like the friendly banter with our opponents fans when they bring a few thousand to Apogee & it just makes for a more complete Game Day experience for all.  After all, NCAA football is still of the entertainment genre & today’s students have to be entertained.

REMEMBER WHEN.....the SWC was still intact, how many of us old timers envied the “built-in” crowds SMU & TCU would get at their respective stadia when thousands of their conference-mates fans would come en mass to Dallas & Fort Worth?  We never had that luxury in Denton in over 100+ years of NCAA football, but maybe one day we could for some OOC games.  I’m beating a dead horse here & I know it, but what’s happened at UNT since Baker & Littrell arrived  many of us who’ve seen everything in Denton except child birth never thought we’d live long enough to see what’s happening in the MG Village today. Never say never on further possibilities. Out.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Army travels far better than any of the other academies. That’s why they’re an independent they can afford to not be in a conference. Yeah some of their players didn’t exactly have good sportsmanship to say the least. The context of that game at Apogee was two teams that have played each other close and had emotional games every time. If you’re strictly talking about national exposure and a challenging opponent then Army fits the bill. The other academies are struggling hard right now. 

Navy travels well and has a great pre-game flyover. Remember this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Navy_vs._North_Texas_football_game

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Read on GMG from one of you that “In Wren We Trust” is actually talking with Army for future games which is great because they bring fans to Apogee & are a fun group to be around at tailgate gatherings & elsewhere.  They are now in the AP Top 25 & that’s the kind of pedigree opponent we need for the exposure with New York & Eastern sportswriters.

• Here is the last time we played them at West Point which some of you said was an outstanding & fun road trip in the Fall in a beautiful part of the USA. 

Crazy how long ago this game feels.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

REMEMBER WHEN.....the SWC was still intact, how many of us old timers envied the “built-in” crowds SMU & TCU would get at their respective stadia when thousands of their conference-mates fans would come en mass to Dallas & Fort Worth?  We never had that luxury in Denton in over 100+ years of NCAA football, but maybe one day we could for some OOC games.  I’m beating a dead horse here & I know it, but what’s happened at UNT since Baker & Littrell arrived  many of us who’ve seen everything in Denton except child birth never thought we’d live long enough to see what’s happening in the MG Village today. Never say never on further possibilities. Out.

GMG!

The thing about that built-in advantage those two had just shows how much it must suck to be a fan of SMU, UH, and Rice. Those teams were in the best conference in the land (or close to it) for decades and then saw it yanked away. Here, we go crazy when an old SWC team shows up in Denton because we rarely  got teams like them in Denton to play. But at SMU, for example, an alum who followed them in those days rarely gives two $hits about them today because they don’t play anyone they care about, except for UH (maybe), in a level of play way below their SWC halcyon (I.e. cheating) days. It’s what TCU will suffer thru again and Baylor will finally feel their pain, too, when the Big XII implodes here in a few years.

• Upvote 2

Your right on, sometimes it is about perspective. I think with the upcoming split we somehow have to just focus on having a program to where we sell out existing stadium and have the best tailgating in the country. These goals are lofty but seem achievable. If some way thru future alignment we can pair up with other schools more to our liking then great. But the die has been cast for the future of p5. And we don’t fit into that vision. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanNGreen89 said:

While We're Daydreaming...How GREAT would it be to catch The Aggies or TCU at Jerry World...Having M Fine carve up

BCS foe on at least Regional TV in a Big League Venue would be Friggn AWESOME!!!

Ok..time to wake up now....

But that would mean we aren’t playing a home game in Denton. We are TOTALLY against that because of tailgating and stuff...

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, Huff said:

Jim, I agree that it was a great series and our two trips to West Point were among the best we have ever done.   Having said that, I believe that ship has sailed and that we will not be playing them in the future.  

Me’thinks you are probably right, Don.

I also remember you & Kathy extolling yalls trips to West Point, too. Such a historic place to see.  See y’all Saturday!!👍

GMG!  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The only - and I mean the only - thing I miss from reviewing this post is the high-quality narrative vérité styled highlights video productions from that season. Were among the best we ever had.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Navy travels well and has a great pre-game flyover. Remember this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Navy_vs._North_Texas_football_game

Navy was 8-5 that year I’m taking about Navy in the present tense. Not even the service academy alumni come out to see their team get stopped. So I say that they travel well is debatable to any game not being the annual Army-Navy game. My point still stands, you want exposure and a quality win then you go with Army because they have the best academy football team at the moment. 

On 8/27/2019 at 1:58 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

I was at that game. It was awesome! That said, I get why coach is not all that hot on playing the series again. Wren might put it anyway somewhere 5 years down the road, thinking that another coach my not mind as much.