• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt from A700

"Official" (?) Cal Travel/Event Plans Thread

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Happy to help. Around here, when we see something thrilling, we do tend to go on a bit. 

Has anyone ever told you about the 1988 game against the Texas Longhorns? 

i think i'm good thanks

• Haha 2

We are coming in from Houston on Thursday and staying at the Claremont with another alum from Denton.  Was thinking of a gathering at the graduate hotel. I was told they have a nice patio maybe pre or post game. I think the location is good for campus and the stadium 

• Upvote 1

The Graduate is about two blocks south of the campus and about the same distance to the stadium.  My parking space is in a university lot a block away so I know it is a very central location.    If you get there about 1.5 hours before kickoff, stop by the student union and you will see and hear the Cal Band perform on the Sproul Hall steps before marching up to the stadium.   The campus is located on a slight uphill up to the stadium so bring your walking shoes.   Saturday looks beautiful, as it usually is in the Bay Area and it may be in the high 70s, which is warm for this time of the year.   We drive from Sacramento, like thousands of others, as we are about 80 miles away to the east so it is mostly a nice 1.5 to 2.0 hour trip one-way.  The only really scruffy area around campus is at People's Park so make sure you don't park there.

Enjoy your stay in the Bay Area.

4 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

As a shamed aspiring internet humorist, but studious and enthusiastic student of the UNTLifer School of Online Comedy and Postive GMG Contributions, allow me to help more remedial students interpret the humor and appreciate the craft. 

The joke here is based on the first axiom that San Francisco has a mass transit system known as Bay Area Rapid Transit. That system is more commonly known by it's acronym, BART. 

Axiom two is that San Francisco also has been historically known throughout the past 50 or so years for having a disproportionately large homosexual population, and also an exceptionally open and uncloseted one as well. The one factor reinforces the other, and so the city is known not just as a major port, a hub for Asian immigrants, and a technology and internet hotspot of world influence... But it's also "The Gay City" when one makes lazy gay stereotype jokes. This shorthand is essential to consider in the context of Axiom #3...

Bart (note the lack of capital letters) is also a man's name of declining commonality in modern usage and assignation. 

When we combine the three, we understand the joke in full flower and power: That to "ask" to ride BART (as a polite visitor to any city's mass transit system would naturally do prior to purchasing tickets and using the public transport) would, in the context of a city known for a disproportionately large population of homosexuals, potentially lead to a whimsical misunderstanding whereupon you were misunderstood to be propositioning a MAN NAMED "Bart" for a "ride". 

By that, obviously, we mean the hypothetical "Bart" of comic construction (presumably at or near the entrance to the BART Station?) would assume that you were randomly soliciting him for vigorous anal intercourse. Whereas you were seeking local permission to use the rail or bus system, this imaginary man named Bart (or confused spectators and passersby) would jump to the situationally logical and appropriate conclusion that you wished to mount Bart (the man, not BART the transit system) and, with penis thrust deeply into his rectum, "ride" him (in the common vernacular) for gay male sexual pleasure. 

This is hilarious and well crafted. Because the concept of homosexual pleasure is inherently ridiculous and funny for its own sake. The fact that the joke is structured on the concept of homophones, a word that shares a first syllable and intonation similar to the word homosexual, is a delightful coincidence (OR IS IT? We are working with a comic genius and critic of no small renown here!) multiplies the comedy so significantly that I can hardly contain myself enough to type out this explanation for the benefit of the slow or dimwitted among us. Truly, I am in stitches. Metaphorically. 

So, should you travel to San Francisco, please do be cautious about how you approach the potential utilization of public transit. Because the factors discussed in our introduction make it so that you might be misunderstood to instead be soliciting a man named Bart for an act of public sodomy.

I hope you've all learned and grown as I have through this trenchant, incisive, and still economical joke. Truly we are blessed to be the recipients of not just the hearty guffaws that come through such comic genius... But also the shining example and brilliant tutoring that such a delightful contribution to the general conversation provides for us all. 

Let us all endeavor to follow this example. I know there's room for me to be a better joke-teller and a better GMG contributor. What about you? Can you be more like Lifer? Let the beacon he's lit for us guide you to a brighter tomorrow. 

And, of course, Go Mean Green! 

seth meyers clapping GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Happy to help. Around here, when we see something thrilling, we do tend to go on a bit. 

angry samuel l jackson GIF

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, kingwoodgreen said:

We are coming in from Houston on Thursday and staying at the Claremont with another alum from Denton.  Was thinking of a gathering at the graduate hotel. I was told they have a nice patio maybe pre or post game. I think the location is good for campus and the stadium 

They have a whole outside area in their parking lot for games.  It’s a nice place to go pregame, but can get quite busy.  Great location, near the stadium.  Right next to top dog (famous hot dog and sausage joint) too.  I believe they also rent out tents pregame to large parties too and provide food and booze.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Ahh, another board moderator, one that self admittedly really has nothing to do with our fine university anymore, being cute.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Ahh, another board moderator, one that self admittedly really has nothing to do with our fine university anymore, being cute.  

I don't understand why you're so fixated on the moderating team here... Everyone knows that I won the position in a pie eating contest. It was the greatest achievement of my life, and Harry's darkest day. The courts have repeatedly ruled he can't do anything about it, so here we all are. 

And thank you, I appreciate the validation of being called cute. I know you mean that as me being charming or funny, but I'm going to take it as a compliment of my physical attractiveness because I would really appreciate the boost. I never did quite lose all that pie contest weight. 

Just don't think you'll be getting a BART ride from me! 

14 minutes ago, greenminer said:

May I make a suggestion? If you have a problem with the mod team, take it up with the people who own the board. Privately.

Buddy, I have tried. But whenever I complain to @Harry about @KingDL1 and his uncomfortable insistence on lap-sitting at staff meetings, nobody seems to ever take any action. 

My advice to anyone upset about the moderation team is to just pretend the mod that's making you uncomfortable is Santa Claus. It's not a perfect solution, but so far it has gotten me through my most difficult interactions with admins. 

2 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

My advice to anyone upset about the moderation team is to just pretend the mod that's making you uncomfortable is Santa Claus. It's not a perfect solution, but so far it has gotten me through my most difficult interactions with admins. 

These are difficult times, but this just might work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Soo back to cal plans. Looks like a lot of the bars will be closed before the game Saturday. Is there a place y’all have talked about going in the morning or is everyone just going to wing it? I wish unt was doing something official on game day instead of just the night before.

4 minutes ago, northtexassigep said:

Soo back to cal plans. Looks like a lot of the bars will be closed before the game Saturday. Is there a place y’all have talked about going in the morning or is everyone just going to wing it? I wish unt was doing something official on game day instead of just the night before.

Guess we have to crash a frat house.

• Haha 2

Hope to see as many of you Saturday as I can.  We're driving up first thing tomorrow.  Will see a friend that night after we get there, make the game Saturday, Sunday do the John Muir stuff and drive back to LA that night.  Quick trip, but c'est la vie.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 1:00 AM, UNTLifer said:

Lifer, I like your posting style, but man, you make some serious gmg.com enemies very easily. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, northtexassigep said:

Henry’s should be open.   Pappy’s and Kip’s too.   Jupiter won’t open early for games which I’ve always found to be throwing away money..  faculty club will be open early too.

Edited by oski
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, northtexassigep said:

Hope to meet up somewhere on game day. Beta Theta 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Gotta try  me a Top Dog some time?

Rick

it's a berkeley institution and is actually quite good.  The one on durant next to the stadium gets quite busy on game days, but it's pretty fast moving.   i would not go to fat slice if you are looking for some quick food.  it's awful pizza.

• Upvote 2