"Official" (?) Cal Travel/Event Plans Thread

Matt from A700

I've been really wanting to somehow get to this game. It looks like if I'm able to, it will be a solo trip. So wanted to ask you folks going to the game:

What hotels are you staying at?

For those going to the Giants game the night before, what section are y'all sitting in?

Have y'all already purchased tickets for the UNT game? And therefore what section?

Edited by Matt from A700

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

I've been really wanting to somehow get to this game. It looks like if I'm able to, it will be a solo trip. So wanted to ask you folks going to the game:

What hotels are you staying at?

For those going to the Giants game the night before, what section are y'all sitting in?

Have y'all already purchased tickets for the UNT game? And therefore what section?

I'm going with my bride and have a VRBO about a half mile from the stadium.  We've bought tickets, but am not sure of the section.

We need to find a good bar where others in green will be hanging out--any ideas out there?

Friday and Saturday night at the Berkley Marina Doubletree.  Flying into Oakland after work on Friday evening flight with the lady.  Taking Uber to hotel, will use Uber and BART to get around.

Buy your tickets from the ticket office so we all sit together.  We're always more impactful as a group and it looks better on TV.

• Upvote 2

Staying at Hotel Griffon in San Francisco.

Giants Game Friday Night- LB 119 behind home plate.

Alcatraz early on Saturday morning

Trying to decide if I should take the BART or an Uber to the Stadium.

Sitting in section I at Cal Memorial.

No plans on Sunday 

I've had to budget a bit since I'm going to Boston in October for our anniversary trip. But I think this is where I'm at:

Flying to OAK early Thursday. Full day in the area until a concert at Chase Center that night.

Another full day in the area Friday until Giants game. Seat in Section 105 on the first base line.

Ordered my game ticket from the UNT box office this afternoon.

Eyeballing a hotel in downtown Oakland, a block from the BART train to save on Ubers.

Taking a 11:00 p.m. flight out of SFO on Delta to ATL and ultimately land back in Dallas at a reasonable 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning. More importantly saving a bill on an extra night at the hotel.

• Upvote 1

7 of us heading out -- most of us getting in on Wednesday

Staying at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf hotel.

Muir Woods National Monument on Friday followed by the 7 of us going to the SF Giants game that night (like a lot of others apparently!)

Saturday game time all day of course.

Not sure on Thursday.  Sonoma wine tasting?  Still planning that one ... looks like a lot of people are going on this trip.  Game on!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, BearInsider said:

Great options here:  Muir Woods, Napa, Alcatraz all great pre and post game spots.

BART ride is easy from SF or Downtown Oakland hotels to Berkeley.  Shuttles will pick you up there to take you to the stadium.  The best nearby hotel is the Claremont followed by the Graduate.  

BART train seems clutch. I'm staying in downtown Oakland at the Clarion.

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, Withers940 said:

Im Staying in Napa two night but staying at the Claremont Hotel and its a cheap Uber ride to the stadium. I was debating between this hotel and The Graduate which is right down the road and its a cool older hotel thats a 7 minute walk to the stadium. 

you can absolutely walk from the claremont to the stadium btw.   it's a great hotel.   the cal team stays there (or used to).   fyi it can be a pain getting an uber after games.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

BART train seems clutch. I'm staying in downtown Oakland at the Clarion.

bart is always the best option to get to cal games.   you can walk through campus to the game in 20 minutes (beautiful walk) or take the shuttle.    popular bars are: pappys, jupiter, or ralieghs.    the faculty club (open to everyone) is a nice place to go pregame with decent food, good booze prices, and a short walk to the game.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, oski said:

you can absolutely walk from the claremont to the stadium btw.   it's a great hotel.   the cal team stays there (or used to).   fyi it can be a pain getting an uber after games.   

Ok, thanks for the heads up. We wont be walking through any bad areas will we? 

Also, what are the laws in Berkeley in regards to alcohol consumption on public streets? Like walking with an open container

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:42 AM, FirefightnRick said:

TripleRock has been a suggestion to try.  I think it’s walking distance from campus?.  

http://www.triplerock.com/

it's walking distance to campus, but on the opposite side of the stadium and personally i find the food and beer to be subpar.    

Edited by oski
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Withers940 said:

Ok, thanks for the heads up. We wont be walking through any bad areas will we? 

Also, what are the laws in Berkeley in regards to alcohol consumption on public streets? Like walking with an open container

no absolutely not.   just avoid the people's park area as there are a lot of homeless.

it's somewhat frowned upon, but if you are drinking out of a cup rather than a bottle it's unlikely anything gets said.  you won't get bothered if you are drinking from a cup on campus either.   lots of people "tailgate" on campus (just no open flame or tents etc, think a picnic).

• Upvote 2