Abilene Christian Scouting Reports

Coach Andy Mac

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/college-football/north-texas-vs-abilene-christian-8-31-19-college-football-pick-odds-and-prediction

North Texas should end up having one of its better seasons in recent memory with the returning talent and what its done the last two years with less. However, the Abilene Christian Wildcats have a lot of key pieces returning in their own right and could be very dangerous offensively. The is also a squad that hung with Baylor in last years season opener, trailing at halftime 20-38. The Abilene Christian Wildcats should be better with a year of experience and have the offensive ability to put a scare in the Mean Green. 

• Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/college-football/north-texas-vs-abilene-christian-8-31-19-college-football-pick-odds-and-prediction

North Texas should end up having one of its better seasons in recent memory with the returning talent and what its done the last two years with less. However, the Abilene Christian Wildcats have a lot of key pieces returning in their own right and could be very dangerous offensively. The is also a squad that hung with Baylor in last years season opener, trailing at halftime 20-38. The Abilene Christian Wildcats should be better with a year of experience and have the offensive ability to put a scare in the Mean Green. 

This writer is a moron, ACU to scare UNT but the line is UNT winning by 19.5 points? Lol come on

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Big Z said:

This writer is a moron, ACU to scare UNT but the line is UNT winning by 19.5 points? Lol come on

The betting line has moved to 20.5. This seems about right to me. 

I don’t know how the writer defines “scaring” UNT. Maybe he meant UNT fans who bet on The Mean Green and spot ACU 20.5 points should be scared of losing their money. ACU is 6-1 since transitioning to FCS vs the betting line when playing FBS opponents but only 1-6 in actual wins.

It should be an entertaining game if you like lots of touchdowns. ACU has the offensive weapons to keep the game closer than a lot of UNT fans imagine. While I don’t think ACU is a serious threat to pull out a W unless UNT has a really bad day, the Wildcats could well cost you some money if you bet on UNT -20.5. 

The better bet for this game is the 58 point over/under. The over looks like a good call here since both teams are capable of scoring points and neither is known for stellar defense. 

UNT 48-ACU 31 

Edited by OscarWildeCat
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Lol, and that is a Baylor team that finished the season losing to a horrible Texas Tech team down to it's third string QB at halftime, and barely pulled away in the second half. I'm so scared... 🤣

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Down 38-20 at half time is hanging in there? New to me.

This, so much this.

Some ACU fans are believing a lot of predictions for a poorer NT defense.

IF ACU gets anywhere close to 31 points, it could be a long year for the Green.  

I predict there are going to be a lot of surprised people when NT's defense turns out to be as good or better than last years.  

NT's secondary should be the strength of the defense.   With the Davis's speed, linebacker should be at least the equal of last year.  I think the defensive line is the biggest question mark.  

Also, ACU's forte on offense is passing, so they will be going against the strength of NT's defense.  

• Upvote 7

Just now, GrandGreen said:

I predict there are going to be a lot of surprised people when NT's defense turns out to be as good or better than last years.  

NT's secondary should be the strength of the defense.   With the Davis's speed, linebacker should be at least the equal of last year.  I think the defensive line is the biggest question mark.  

Also, ACU's forte on offense is passing, so they will be going against the strength of NT's defense.  

ineedthisforreactions GIF

• Upvote 4

After years of over-performing the under-performance - I never take anything for granted. 

This board last year was semi-convinced that IW could/would be a viable challenge and they are a near 1A level.  I don't see how ACU is any different... It is hard to try and predict across the boundaries. 

I fully expect we win. I have doubts about our running game. That's the only thing I need proven - I suppose. 

GMG. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Agree.

Rick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You’re not respecting EJ enough when you state that.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, OscarWildeCat said:

The betting line has moved to 20.5. This seems about right to me. 

I don’t know how the writer defines “scaring” UNT. Maybe he meant UNT fans who bet on The Mean Green and spot ACU 20.5 points should be scared of losing their money. ACU is 6-1 since transitioning to FCS vs the betting line when playing FBS opponents but only 1-6 in actual wins.

It should be an entertaining game if you like lots of touchdowns. ACU has the offensive weapons to keep the game closer than a lot of UNT fans imagine. While I don’t think ACU is a serious threat to pull out a W unless UNT has a really bad day, the Wildcats could well cost you some money if you bet on UNT -20.5. 

The better bet for this game is the 58 point over/under. The over looks like a good call here since both teams are capable of scoring points and neither is known for stellar defense. 

UNT 48-ACU 31 

If this is the score I am going to be a little disappointed. @GrandGreen already stated the defense sitch, but 31 points given up by our defense, will not get us to undefeated or a respectable record when we play UH in our goal to sell out Apogee in Sept. 

I wish you all the best though, you all are a classy bunch when it comes to a fan base. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

We are going to explode on offense.   I am seeing something like 52 - 24 good guys.

ACU won't have much tape on our offense with a new OC either.  The uptempo is going to wear down ACU.  Lots of big plays coming.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, akriesman said:

We are going to explode on offense.   I am seeing something like 52 - 24 good guys.

ACU won't have much tape on our offense with a new OC either.  The uptempo is going to wear down ACU.  Lots of big plays coming.

Tapes from Eastern Washington should give ACU some idea about schemes if not personnel. 

• Upvote 1

I think we'll learn much more about NTs defense than offense in this game. i expect Reeder to keep a good number of cards close to the vest for the games the 2 weeks after. It should be possible to score without giving the next opponents lots of info there.

However on defense we will learn whether the basics are really already there in this game I suppose.

Still should be an unquestioned win come the third quarter. If ACU can scare them a tiny bit however, to teach them that even less talented opponents need to be taken seriously when they scratch claw then that may be a good thing, not necessarily a bad one.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

You’re not respecting EJ enough when you state that.

Very strange logic  

Or maybe you are not respecting Ozougwu, the Davis's, King, etc. enough. 

I wonder how in the world anyone thinks that believing the lb position is going to be as good as last year is disrespecting anyone.   

Ejiya was a great lb for NT last year.  That does not mean that there won't be another just as good or that overall the position won't be stronger this year. .

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

That's what I'm talking about GMG!!!!

Abilene Christian at North Texas, 7:30 p.m. ET

Abilene Christian is going nowhere fast, and North Texas should have one of the best scoring offenses in the country with Mason Fine (QB), Deandre Torrey (RB) and Rico Bussey Jr. (WR) all returning. The Mean Green could be awful on defense, though, so get ready for a lot of high-scoring games after this one.

Prediction: North Texas 60, Abilene Christian 21

ttps://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850700-college-football-picks-week-1-predictions-for-every-game#slide8

• Lovely Take 1