Cal Bear Fans discuss Mason Fine

Coach Andy Mac

53 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

I looked through their past 4 recruiting classes. Besides some 5 and 4 stars who aren't on the team anymore they are 3 stars with some 2 stars.

Unless cal can be like Florida, Iowa, and Arkansas who got to our QB with only rushing 4 I think Fine will pick them apart.

Not sure about stars, but I think I read they have NFL talent all over their defensive back 7

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

46 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Not sure about stars, but I think I read they have NFL talent all over their defensive back 7

Yep, that backfield is elite.

Steele says, “Following a subpar performance in 2017 where they finished at just No. 76 in our pass defense ratings, Cal exceeded expectations a year ago by catapulting all the way up to the No. 1 spot by allowing just 175 yards per game through the air with an outstanding 13-21 ratio. This year, the starters return intact giving them the capability of defending their title as the nation’s top secondary.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Best-defensive-backs-college-football-LSU-Alabama-Michigan-133204703/#133204703_10

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:
“Good stuff on Mason Fine. No big or elite QB camps or private coach. Really interested to see him play. Of course I want the Bears to drop NT like a hot turd but easy to pull for a kid like that.”

Link: https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/89835

mood i hate them GIF

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

That's my point. Mason is so smart and accurate that if he has time he will pick any defense apart. 

This CAL game will be his ticket to the 3rd round!

• Upvote 1

I looked through some of their games last year to see what passing teams did against their "stellar" defensive backfield.  They did give up a high completion percentage but not many touchdowns through the air in the games I looked at.  It will be a good match up and require a good game plan by Reeder to knock them off.

• Upvote 2

I might be throwing stones in a glass house here. But Cal doesn't exactly have the foundation to be talking like they run the P5 world. These guys probably would be last place Pac12 if Oregon State or Colorado wasn't in the conference. I have heard a lot about this year's defense for Cal, but our offense will be stacked. 

I do admire that a lot of them gives credit where it is due. Arkansas did not give us the time of day before they got throttled, they were SEC. Top tier P5 conference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

But Cal doesn't exactly have the foundation to be talking like they run the P5 world.

Last season Cal beat North Carolina, BYU, Oregon State, Washington, USC and Colorado.  The lost 10-7 to TCU in their bowl game.  They aren't Bama but they beat some pretty damn good programs last season and also had some close losses against good teams.  Holding TCU to 10 points tells me their defense is stout.

https://calbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1561

13 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I might be throwing stones in a glass house here. But Cal doesn't exactly have the foundation to be talking like they run the P5 world. These guys probably would be last place Pac12 if Oregon State or Colorado wasn't in the conference. I have heard a lot about this year's defense for Cal, but our offense will be stacked. 

I do admire that a lot of them gives credit where it is due. Arkansas did not give us the time of day before they got throttled, they were SEC. Top tier P5 conference. 

Ahhh... the Pac 12 is no good narrative. Take a close look at our schedule, especially our Pac 12 North foes and tell me, which games do you win?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Last season Cal beat North Carolina, BYU, Oregon State, Washington, USC and Colorado.  The lost 10-7 to TCU in their bowl game.  They aren't Bama but they beat some pretty damn good programs last season and also had some close losses against good teams.  Holding TCU to 10 points tells me their defense is stout.

Your post stated my point much better than I. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Washington is the only outstanding win here. Look at the records of the rest of the teams and they are .500 or losing records. The low scores on those games is a cause of worry, Their defense is very concerning. The #1 PAC12 team only won by 2 points!

6 minutes ago, NYCGOBEARS said:

Ahhh... the Pac 12 is no good narrative. Take a close look at our schedule, especially our Pac 12 North foes and tell me, which games do you win?

My post was not meant to downgrade the Pac12 conference as a whole. Cal plays I think 4 ranked in conference opponents this year. Will be a tough schedule for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Looking at last year's schedule....looks like their D really improved in the 2nd half.

The Washington St game has me scratching my head. They really handled Leach and that offense. However they still lost because their own offense was so bad...

Feels like if we can get into the upper 20s we'll have a good chance to win. They could be one of the weakest offenses we face this year.

Also....they have Washington the week before and a road game at Ole Miss the week after followed by Arizona St and Oregon. They won't be focused on us. Feels like a fast start would be helpful in our game....

Looking forward to watching should be a good game.

• Upvote 3

This Cal team, as far as I can tell, is much much better than 2018 Arkansas.

I don’t understand why people think we should win it.  We certainly can, but it will be a dog fight.  This will probably get me some downvotes, but I can also see us getting run out of the building.

If we win by 21+ points, that would be enough for me to believe we can crack the T25 this year.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3