Why can’t we seem to do this?

Coach Andy Mac

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Probably because we don't want to.   2-for-1's suck.

Again, a 2-for-1, where you have a game at SMU to make up the difference is way better for our program now than beating an FCS spare. For example, let's just say for shits and grins we had a 2 for 1 right now with Arky. Our schedules could have looked something like this:

2018: SMU, @ Liberty, @ Arkansas, Lamar + CUSA play--6 home games

2019: @SMU, UH, Arky, @Cal + CUSA play--6.5 home games

2020: SMU, @ UH, @ Arky, Cal + CUSA play--6 home games

2021 @SMU, Upper P5, @G5, G5 + CUSA play--5.5 home games

2022 SMU, @ Upper P5,  G5, @G5 + CUSA play--6 home games

2023 @SMU, @Upper P5, @G5,  G5 + CUSA play--5.5 home games

You give your fans the chance to see someone like Arkansas or Oklahoma State or Kansas State every couple of years over watching spares like Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Bethune-Cookman, Portland State, Lamar, Incarnate Word, ACU, etc...all while giving us a easy chance to watch our team play 6 games in person in the Metroplex every year, including names of teams that might actual move the needle with both the media and fence-sitting fans, students, and citizens in the area. Again, FCS games provide zero benefit to your team. They should get you a win that you pay for, while either not giving you decent competition or making you realize that something is definitely wrong with your team (see Portland State). We saw tons of people act like Dajon Williams was gonna be some awesome QB here because we literally slaughtered a Nicholls State team that at the time couldn't beat Denton HS. Shockingly, when he played any other FBS squad, he sucked. I just think our fans deserve better scheduling at a great venue like Apogee than we have had, albeit its getting much better with Wren's leadership.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

When you play a 2 for 1, you have to buy a home game... usually against an FCS opponent.

Instead we have home and home with Texas Tech, Cal, Baylor, Tulane, Memphis, and Houston.

We don't need 2 for 1.

If we won't treat ourselves as equals, why would any P5?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Again, a 2-for-1, where you have a game at SMU to make up the difference is way better for our program now than beating an FCS spare. For example, let's just say for shits and grins we had a 2 for 1 right now with Arky. Our schedules could have looked something like this:

2018: SMU, @ Liberty, @ Arkansas, Lamar + CUSA play--6 home games

2019: @SMU, UH, Arky, @Cal + CUSA play--6.5 home games

2020: SMU, @ UH, @ Arky, Cal + CUSA play--6 home games

2021 @SMU, Upper P5, @G5, G5 + CUSA play--5.5 home games

2022 SMU, @ Upper P5,  G5, @G5 + CUSA play--6 home games

2023 @SMU, @Upper P5, @G5,  G5 + CUSA play--5.5 home games

You give your fans the chance to see someone like Arkansas or Oklahoma State or Kansas State every couple of years over watching spares like Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Bethune-Cookman, Portland State, Lamar, Incarnate Word, ACU, etc...all while giving us a easy chance to watch our team play 6 games in person in the Metroplex every year, including names of teams that might actual move the needle with both the media and fence-sitting fans, students, and citizens in the area. Again, FCS games provide zero benefit to your team. They should get you a win that you pay for, while either not giving you decent competition or making you realize that something is definitely wrong with your team (see Portland State). We saw tons of people act like Dajon Williams was gonna be some awesome QB here because we literally slaughtered a Nicholls State team that at the time couldn't beat Denton HS. Shockingly, when he played any other FBS squad, he sucked. I just think our fans deserve better scheduling at a great venue like Apogee than we have had, albeit its getting much better with Wren's leadership.

2 for 1's are awful. 

FCS games do have a benefit. It's called a tune up. Bluebloods do them, we do them. Just about everyone does them. 2 for 1's are straight out of the book of How to be a Nobody. 

• Upvote 3

I didn't like losing the Army series, but I do think that Wren Baker is doing an outstanding job with scheduling.

I hated the days of being cannon fodder for the power programs, and feel sorry for the UTSA fans as their program is quickly sinking to that level.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Just keep doing what we are doing: winning and changing the culture, and it won’t matter who we play. What will matter is that fans can see their team in Denton at least 6 times every season.

Bingo! Wren is building a fan base the correct way.

Grabbing the easy money from continually scheduling bodybag games is for athletic departments that either can't manage effectively.or they simply refuse to work.

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Without 2 for 1 series, you’ll never get a bigger name here than Tech or Baylor. Maybe an OSU or KSU, but nothing bigger—-certainly not an Arkansas-type name. 

You think Arkansas is a bigger name in Texas than Tech or Baylor? I honestly don't see that. And for sure Baylor and probably Tech have been more nationally relevant over the last 15 years. (nationally relevant meaning weeks in the top 25). If I ranked P5 opponents on a scale from 1-10 from a fan interest standpoint, I would have Baylor, Tech and Arkansas all in the 7/8 range. A 2 for 1 would only make sense for UT Austin, A&M and maybe OU. Outside of that group, I'm not for it.

Also, mathematically consistently doing 2 for 1s ensures you'd have 5 game seasons. On average, that philosophy ensures 2 road games and 1 home game. If the 4th game is a G5 home and home then every other year would be a 5 home game schedule.

• Upvote 3