ESPN: Why Mason Fine is the best QB you don't know

jperg2

I remember the first spring game Fine came out at. He took over the drive for another QB and the offense just responded as if he'd been their starter all along. Like, you just knew this QB was *the* guy for the job from how he carried himself to how he passed.

When he came in for Morriss against SMU, it was the same deal. The guys saw him, snapped-to, and they worked with him to deliver. 

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 4

I remember going into his sophomore year and during the player adoption period I pick him on the third page of players.  I remember when he was freshman he was straight out of high school and would only get better.  Come senior day I don't know if will cheer or cry , maybe both.  Fine has represented UNT very well.  Next guy up will have been shoes to follow.

We had a lot of doubters after his freshman year.  Mason wins again!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

When I first saw and read articles on MF before NT offered...I knew he was the underdog we needed to push this underdog program out of its funk it was in! Great article and wish all the luck to MF in accomplishing the goals he has set for himself this year.

• Upvote 2

"Fine -- coming off back-to-back C-USA Offensive POY honors and tabbed by coaches in the preseason to make it three years in a row -- brushes off the campaign as a necessary evil.

He agreed to it only after the school convinced him it would be good for his teammates and the program."

I am going to miss this man after he leaves.

• Upvote 4

Mason is just a classic case of what a struggling program like ours needed. After middling around for so long and not making much progress, we finally found a guy who could command respect for his abilities, and respect as a person because of his demeanor. I talk up Mason Fine pretty much every chance I get, and I'm currently in a battle with the UT sheeple here in Austin that he's the best QB in the state. 

They'll never admit to that, but I'm almost 100% confident that with a healthy season, he'll prove me right. GO MEAN GREEN!

P.S. If you aren't ready for this season to start, I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to fix that.

• Upvote 5

Just so there's not another chance for miscommunication, let's be clear: At no point did Harrell try to take Fine with him to USC.

But that doesn't mean he hasn't thought about it.

"I don't know if you've seen Coach lately, he's a state championship wrestler and now he looks like a professional weightlifter," Harrell said of Littrell. "He might have literally tried to kill me if I planted that seed.

😂

• Haha 2

But, as Harrell noted, they weren't exactly turning away quarterbacks at the time. They were excited to finally have someone excited about them.

Harrell asked Fine when he could visit. He and his parents were in Denton that Saturday. Littrell offered and Fine immediately accepted.

Back in the car, they let it soak in. Years of waiting had led to this. Mom was crying in the passenger seat. Dad couldn't stop grinning.

"There was something about him," Littrell said. "There was an edge about him that you knew he wasn't going to fail."

Unbelievable, so great

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

But, as Harrell noted, they weren't exactly turning away quarterbacks at the time. They were excited to finally have someone excited about them.

Harrell asked Fine when he could visit. He and his parents were in Denton that Saturday. Littrell offered and Fine immediately accepted.

Back in the car, they let it soak in. Years of waiting had led to this. Mom was crying in the passenger seat. Dad couldn't stop grinning.

"There was something about him," Littrell said. "There was an edge about him that you knew he wasn't going to fail."

Unbelievable, so great

It tells you all you need to know about the QB situation here that SL inherited when he offered a scholarship on the spot to Mason Fine to be ready to play ASAP. That collection of QBs we saw in the McCarney/Chico last two seasons was easily the worst I’ve ever seen a FBS team roll with. Not one of them could play at this level and I’m not sure that any of them could play at the FCS level, either.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

It tells you all you need to know about the QB situation here that SL inherited when he offered a scholarship on the spot to Mason Fine to be ready to play ASAP. That collection of QBs we saw in the McCarney/Chico last two seasons was easily the worst I’ve ever seen a FBS team roll with. Not one of them could play at this level and I’m not sure that any of them could play at the FCS level, either.

Damarcus Smith could definitely PLAY... but his work ethic was probably lower than any player I'd ever seen before.   He worked harder at planning parties than football.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1