Efforts to counter-act "Mother F'in Eagles"

If they want to utter such obscenities at the game (God help us) then let them make up a chant and then use it in the chant.   That way it'll be their own.

It's not just having class,....and it is. But what ever happened to the belief that college was an institution of higher learning. Inserting MF in your school's fight song is an example of "higher learning?". 

One of the old traditions here at good ol' NT was it's very challenging core English requirements. Many a student had to transfer to another school because they could not master the rigors of those NT English professors and their very high standards. Many kids coming out of HS used to go to Jr. College long enough to satisfy the English requirements and then transfer to NT because they knew they couldn't cut it in the English classes at NT. Those professors would be beyond shocked at this current behavior. 

I know that (as Bob Dylan once said) "The times they are a changing". But in this instance......not for the better.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 4

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Approaching my mid 50's, but I was taught by my parents how to act in public.  As my 91 year old mother still says, "You aren't too old or too big to be pulled across my lap!" 🤣

I have yet to see one good reason as to why this should be acceptable. 

I completely agree, too...it shows a very low-character 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

They're kids... let them be kids.

TCU does something similar... I am sure most schools do it too.

If it was high school... i would have more issue with it.  Theyre college kids... let them have some fun

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

Tech does something similar:

"...we will hit 'em, we will wreck 'em, we will f-n kick your ass..."

"Look at me!  I'm 20, and out of the house!"

Yes, because other people are doing it, is such a persuasive argument.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

They're kids... let them be kids.

TCU does something similar... I am sure most schools do it too.

If it was high school... i would have more issue with it.  Theyre college kids... let them have some fun

Texas does the "Give 'em Hell, Give 'em Hell, Make 'em eat S#it!" During their Texas-Fight song, and the Aggise have always sang the same song as "Texas Bites, Texas Bites, Jump up and Bite my A$$!"

It's nothing unique for college students to chant inappropriate language, but that's still not an excuse.

On a similar note, I have heard many times our alma mater sung as "Down the Corridor of Years, we'll Drink lots and lots of Beers....."

Old joke, but I still chuckle.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, because other people are doing it, is such a persuasive argument.

My point was... its nothing new. Nothing that needs to be counteracted.... The fact that we have students coming to games is great. Lets not be picky now

Also.. I wasnt trying to argue.  Just stating facts. Just funny that this is even a topic. 

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

My point was... its nothing new. Nothing that needs to be counteracted.... The fact that we have students coming to games is great. Lets not be picky now

I agree with this. I guess we can all go back to the times where there were no students at games and we never scored touchdowns, then no one will ever have to hear it again.

It's a football game. For those saying it's classless clearly have not been to the student section in sometime at any college football game. Chanting MF Eagles might be the classiest thing being yelled in that section..

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNTMG said:

It's a football game. For those saying it's classless clearly have not been to the student section in sometime at any college football game. Chanting MF Eagles might be the classiest thing being yelled in that section..

Just because this is the lesser of the obscenities yelled is sad and doesn’t make it acceptable. I understand things are yelled that are worse but they are not yelled in unison for the whole stadium to hear and are not part of our fight song.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

A coach cussing you is one thing.  Lord knows I've had my share of butt chewings by many a coach.  My problems with this stupid chant are the following:

1.  It is disrespectful towards our university.

2.  It is yelling MF'er at the top of their lungs during our fight song.  It is easy to tell what is being said from across Apogee.

3.  My youngest looking up and clarifying what he heard and then asking why they would say that about their school.

4.  It is classless.  Don't compare us to LSU.  Their fans are the worst in college football and nothing to aspire to be.

5.  We are North Texas and we are better than that.

This

• Upvote 9
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 8

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

@UNTLifer Lots of things aren’t acceptable....

McDonalds
A show called “American Idol”
A broke college student, plummeting into debt, but making a budget for alcohol

But I still understand why they happen.

Correct and none of those address yelling MF during our fight song.  Taking a bite of a Big Mac and saying MF'er is acceptable.  Walking in to your house to find American Idol is grounds for muttering MF'er.  The last example is a happy MF'er.

Yelling it during a fight song for all to hear...not acceptable.  I just want someone to give one good reason why doing that is acceptable beyond it makes me feel cool because I am 19 and out of the house.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I just want someone to give one good reason why doing that is acceptable beyond it makes me feel cool because I am 19 and out of the house.

It’s a college sporting event.  A bunch of 19 year olds just out of the house.  I don’t think you’re gonna get another reason.  They aren’t obligated to give you any reason.

I don’t like them butchering the fight song either, I’m just trying to understand your position.  If anything, I think the onus is on you to give them reason to care.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I think the best way to get them to stop doing this is to have a bunch of old people be offended by it.

Down vote me all you want, but pull back some of those donations to the Athletic Department, or to UNT itself and Wren Baker and Dr. Smastrek will stop the trashing of our fight song.  Have some class folks!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

2 hours ago, CK2 said:

I dropped an f bomb and now everybody's innocence is shaken. Now lets move onto something thats actually important.

Keep going and hopefully you will be banned from this board like most of the others.   I know that what you want, but it would work better than the ignore button for me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

It’s a college sporting event.  A bunch of 19 year olds just out of the house.  I don’t think you’re gonna get another reason.  They aren’t obligated to give you any reason.

I don’t like them butchering the fight song either, I’m just trying to understand your position.  If anything, I think the onus is on you to give them reason to care.

Because it is classless and makes our students appear that way. I thought that was pretty clear. I also listed reasons earlier in my post and nobody has countered that with anything other than it is a college sporting event which is no reason. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

42 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

I can't imagine being this fragile.

Fragile isn’t the word. I can cuss a blue streak with the best of them but choose not too because it is a reflection on me, and in this instance, my university. I can’t imagine being so dense as to not see that that is the issue. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2