Efforts to counter-act "Mother F'in Eagles"

Ran by the stadium tonight to observe some of the good ol' indoctrination of the new students from the band, cheerleaders, Talons, and football team.

I noticed during playing of the fight song that at the usual "U... N... T... {motherf'in} Eagles!", the Green Brigade members were yelling "{super awesome} Eagles!"

I giggled.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I attempted to attend the scrimmage last Saturday but was initially turned away (later on I found a way in), so I noticed that the Band was practicing near by and decided to go watch. Well it seems that I got in on Mr. Cooks very first practice......which was really a exercise session to get band members used to the type of marching that will be expected of them  I had a very nice visit, first with Mr. Cooks grad assistant, and then later during a break Mr. Cook came over to see who the hell I was.  Believe it or not, we had a very nice visit. 

I could already tell that he was going to expect energy, school spirit,  and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE from the Band. So I seriously doubt that the MF will ever surface from any of the band members. A few things....

The Band is going to have somewhere around 450 members (ugh)

He plans to have a REAL pre-game including a fanfare that he has written for North Texas. We discussed a few very large Bands and how they did pregame. He mentioned several Bands from the Southeast Conference, but he said that his favorite pregame was the one Florida State does. 

He was a bit concerned about the gate leading into the stadium. He had concerns about it limiting the band in their pregame entrance.

SO, for this to really work and be BIG TIME the crowd needs to be in there long before the pregame starts AND PARTICIPATE.

I always get frustrated when I go see the state championship games in Arlington and see their bands have a better pregame than we do. Happy to hear that may change. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

I attempted to attend the scrimmage last Saturday but was initially turned away (later on I found a way in), so I noticed that the Band was practicing near by and decided to go watch. Well it seems that I got in on Mr. Cooks very first practice......which was really a exercise session to get band members used to the type of marching that will be expected of them  I had a very nice visit, first with Mr. Cooks grad assistant, and then later during a break Mr. Cook came over to see who the hell I was.  Believe it or not, we had a very nice visit. 

I could already tell that he was going to expect energy, school spirit,  and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE from the Band. So I seriously doubt that the MF will ever surface from any of the band members. A few things....

The Band is going to have somewhere around 450 members (ugh)

He plans to have a REAL pre-game including a fanfare that he has written for North Texas. We discussed a few very large Bands and how they did pregame. He mentioned several Bands from the Southeast Conference, but he said that his favorite pregame was the one Florida State does. 

He was a bit concerned about the gate leading into the stadium. He had concerns about it limiting the band in their pregame entrance.

SO, for this to really work and be BIG TIME the crowd needs to be in there long before the pregame starts AND PARTICIPATE.

I'm anticipating that Mr. Cook draws inspiration from the FSU pregame, but I'm sure what he develops will be uniquely ours. However, here is a sample of his stated favorite....

I've posted this before, but this is how Texas does it.

Still my favorite........

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Or have some class and understand there are also kids at the games.  So tired of this discussion every year and why people think this is acceptable.

I yelled it on the student side when I was in school and if you’re not listening for it you don’t know what they’re saying. I don’t use it on the home side precisely bc of kids but complaining about it every year is pointless. I’d rather the whole stadium including the kids yell mother F’in eagles than “really awesome” eagles. Go ahead and kick us back to the sun belt if we go that route. 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Or we could just act like we have some class.

Bingo!!  This is exactly what I thought before I got to your post. 

The correct response from the University is to remind students that they should have a little bit of class and this doesn't show it. 

Yeah, I was 20 once too and spent some time in the corner of the Pit razzing the visitors until we got a reaction.  We didn't do things that other fans would find offensive.

• Upvote 10
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4