SMU Mustangs 2019 season preview

Harry

2. North Texas (Sept. 7): SMU holds a massive 31-6-1 lead in this all-time series, but UNT has had two very convincing wins over the Mustangs since the series resumed five years ago -- a 37-point win in 2014 and a 23-point victory last fall in Denton. And last year's 46-23 win by North Texas wasn't even as close as the final score indicated -- the Mean Green actually led 36-0 after three quarters and SMU scored 23 fourth-quarter points to make the final score a little more respectable.

3. Will SMU's transfer portal reliance pay off?

According to the 247Sports transfer portal database, SMU has brought in 16 transfers this offseason, most in the AAC. Houston (12) was the only other conference school to have double-digit transfers. Seventy-five percent of AAC schools brought in six or fewer transfers this offseason. While this is a great way to quickly improve the talent on SMU's roster, it's also a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to chemistry. Will new pieces fit well with old ones? Will players who were recruited out of high school feel slighted?

read more:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/08/19/smu-mustangs-season-preview-breakout-candidates-key-questions-projected-results

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

2. North Texas (Sept. 7): SMU holds a massive 31-6-1 lead in this all-time series, but UNT has had two very convincing wins over the Mustangs since the series resumed five years ago -- a 37-point win in 2014 and a 23-point victory last fall in Denton. And last year's 46-23 win by North Texas wasn't even as close as the final score indicated -- the Mean Green actually led 36-0 after three quarters and SMU scored 23 fourth-quarter points to make the final score a little more respectable.

According to the 247Sports transfer portal database, SMU has brought in 16 transfers this offseason, most in the AAC. Houston (12) was the only other conference school to have double-digit transfers. Seventy-five percent of AAC schools brought in six or fewer transfers this offseason. While this is a great way to quickly improve the talent on SMU's roster, it's also a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to chemistry. Will new pieces fit well with old ones? Will players who were recruited out of high school feel slighted?

read more:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/08/19/smu-mustangs-season-preview-breakout-candidates-key-questions-projected-results

Since smuT's return from the death penalty, they lead the series 4-6.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Image result for evil yes gif

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

So they have 1st round NFL talent?

Buchele is no slouch.  He has a couple of very dangerous wide receivers to throw to.  It's going to be a back and forth game I think.  Last team with the ball wins type of deal.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

Its not out of the question for us to go 1-3 in OOC play and I'm not sure how the fanbase will handle it if we do. While everyone looks at Fine running SL's offense, the defense will determine if this thing has any chance of making us take the next step up.

SMU will be MUCH better than they were in last year's opener here in Denton. Their offense will be much better, with Buechele at QB. Dykes is a very good coach and he has probably shown them the ass-whipping they took last year in Denton all off-season for motivation. This will be no repeat UNT blowout, IMO. Because we have Mason Fine and the fact SMU will have no home field advantage from the fans because we will show up big at Ford, that's why I think we will win a close one. But I will not be surprised at all if it goes the other way, either. I know very few here want to read this, but its a 50/50 game to me.

Cal will also be a very tough game to win for many of the obvious reasons. We could win, but I think this is a game that could get very ugly if our defense can't make stops. And its also how I feel about UH here. Their offense is going to be the best we face all season. Don't think that Army bowl thrashing even matters here--Applewhite being a lame duck and not being motivated to play Army led to a game that was easy to see turning into what it did. I doubt a road trip here will be anything like that for UH.

This isn't to say we can't win them all, but this year's OOC is MUCH harder than last year's. Going 2-2 against the OOC schools would make me feel a ton better about competing with La Tech and USM for the CUSA West title.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1