DRC: It's time for the annual "Get Your Rear on the Record" contest

Brett Vito

I see us with games we should win over ACU, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, and Charlotte. I don’t see any certain losses. But I figure we will lose 3 or 4, so I’ll say 8-4, with losses to Cal, UH, La Tech, and USM. LT wins the West and we go bowling in either Birmingham or Tampa against a MAC or AAC opponent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Venson said:

12-2 with losses to Cal and Houston.

This is the most likely outcome, so I'll go along with this. 

HOWEVER, if we beat Cal, SMU and Houston, then it's most likely a 14-0 season. 

I kind of made the same prediction last year when I was talking to KingDL1 at the first game's tailgating event. I remember saying that if we beat SMU and Arkansas, then we'll go 12-0. He looked at me like I'd had just taken the Lords name in vain in the middle of a revival meeting. I believe he thought that I had jinxed them.........and I probably did. 

HOWEVER (2) They SHOULD HAVE gone 12-0..........................😠

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

i am looking forward to the season and I love that we can be disappointed with a 9-4 record regardless of our schedule.  However I think a lot of these predictions are overlooking the fact that our offensive line and defensive unit are a GIANT question mark and a work in progress at best, don’t kid yourself.  We might have more depth at OLine, that doesn’t necessarily mean we are better, that means we have more players at roughly the same ability level (which is still an improvement).

- we haven’t proven we can protect Fine or create running lanes with any consistency

-  we don’t have anyone that can consistently  put real pressure on the QB without blitzing

- not much depth at DL

- question marks at LB

Those things don’t normally add up to overachieving or winning games against better teams.  We will have a winning record because we have very good skill players for our level on offense, and play some weaker teams in our conference.

We are still a few years away from really taking another step up.  These better recruiting classes we are landing don’t make an impact for another year or 2.  i know I will get lots of downvoted for being realistic, but there it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

i am looking forward to the season and I love that we can be disappointed with a 9-4 record regardless of our schedule.  However I think a lot of these predictions are overlooking the fact that our offensive line and defensive unit are a GIANT question mark and a work in progress at best, don’t kid yourself.  We might have more depth at OLine, that doesn’t necessarily mean we are better, that means we have more players at roughly the same ability level (which is still an improvement).

- we haven’t proven we can protect Fine or create running lanes with any consistency

-  we don’t have anyone that can consistently  put real pressure on the QB without blitzing

- not much depth at DL

- question marks at LB

Those things don’t normally add up to overachieving or winning games against better teams.  We will have a winning record because we have very good skill players for our level on offense, and play some weaker teams in our conference.

We are still a few years away from really taking another step up.  These better recruiting classes we are landing don’t make an impact for another year or 2.  i know I will get lots of downvoted for being realistic, but there it is.

Physically....this team is more athletic than last year's on both sides of the ball. The strength program is doing wonders for this team. 

As for protecting Fine....I think Reeder's offense will be the key to protecting him. A lot of Fine's sacks came from staying in the pocket too long....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

- not much depth at DL

- question marks at LB

The offensive line will be BETTER than last year.   The entire interior of last year's line returns, including 3 different all-conference caliber guys.  DeAndre Plantin will be an upgrade over Murray, and Brammer will be able to replace Mayfield on the right side.   Don't worry about the line.

As for "we don’t have anyone that can consistently put real pressure on the QB without blitzing"... that's the scheme of the defense.  We have 3 down linemen, of course we're going to be blitzing for pressure.  The beauty of coach Reffett's scheme is that the offense never knows where that pressure is coming from though.   Don't worry about DL creating pressure.

However, I would add "CB" to your question marks as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, keith said:

12-2.  SL finally gets the monkey off his back with a bowl win.  Two losses will be by a total of 8 points....a magical season, but oh, boy, what could have been.

I have as strong suspicion that if we win CUSA West, that championship game will be SL's last in Denton as the head coach at UNT. Its just how life is for G5s. Matt Wells at Utah State, for example, became Matt Wells of Texas Tech as soon as Utah State's regular season ended. 

29 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I have as strong suspicion that if we win CUSA West, that championship game will be SL's last in Denton as the head coach at UNT. Its just how life is for G5s. Matt Wells at Utah State, for example, became Matt Wells of Texas Tech as soon as Utah State's regular season ended. 

But Matt Wells was at Utah State for 6 years and had two, 10 win seasons and 2 bowl wins (I guess technically he coached 1 bowl win....but his team won another) before he went to TTech.  Littrell wasn't even a candidate for that job was he?

Littrell has only been here 3 years and doesn't have a 10 win season or a bowl win.

He could be in the big 12 right now but he stayed. There are 2 tiers of P5 jobs. Blue Bloods (Bama, OU, UT, USC, etc) and others. He turned down an "other." The question is, at this point in his career, has he done enough to get a "blue blood" job? I don't think so. And I think his actions say he's staying here and building his resume until he can get one. Everyone knows OU is his dream job. But if it came opened next season....I don't see Littrell getting it yet. I know Mike Gundy's seat is getting a little warm but I don't see them firing him after this year.

• Upvote 1

A few observations:

Houston is not that good, their defense is as big a question if not more than NT, Fine is a better and much more consistent QB than King projects to be.  

NT's defense was also a question mark in 2018, now it is like NT can never match it.

NT defense should be better and deeper than last year, but there will be a learning curve in the first few games

Cal will be a close loss, Cal wins based on across country home field advantage

SMU is in total disarray, but will be a tough game, NT must take them serious

Fine's stats will go down due to a much more balanced NT attack

Guyton was great last year, but will hardly be missed this  year, the receiver cast is going to be stellar

NT is loaded at rb

NT's offense will be the best in the conference

NT will be the best team in the conference but will lose an away game they should not

A lot of picks for other conference teams to win the league

UAB is a favorite but lost most of their elderly starters

FAU, another strange pick based on their last year performance

USM, returns more starters than any team; but has lost 3 straight to NT, USM will have home field advantage

La Tech is always a tough game for NT and this is away

NT goes 10-2 in regular season

NT wins CUSA championship and goes to 11-2

Not going to speculate on Bowl results

Littrell will get an offer he can't refuse

Fine will be harder to replace than Littrell

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4