Cal Secondary - best in the nation???

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/13/cal-bears-secondary-jaylinn-hawkins-ashtyn-davis?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&fbclid=IwAR0vnMgeeEOnOYUzCG2T_VyYNciU8BbP4HoiVL2jN4mf3w58_wt1GZH3US0

"In 2018, the unit allowed 200 fewer yards a game to rank 15th nationally, the best finish for the program since 1994."

"But as Cal's defense has improved, the offense has regressed. It’s gone from one of the best (ranked 10th in 2016) to one of the worst (115th last season)."

• Upvote 4

I remember seeing previous article that Cal defense was considered "elite." This will be a true test of where we are at with our high-flying offense. If we move the ball effectively/efficiently on the Cal defense, we can move it on anyone else on our schedule this season. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Yep. And their linebackers are no joke as well.

Our first six games present a slew of interesting benchmarks and narratives.

08/31, ACU - how have we adjusted to Bodie Reeder’s offense? Are things clicking? Is Fine comfortable? Can we maintain the appropriate amount of separation from an FCS program and put away this game by early in the second quarter?

09/07, at SMU - what is the comparable rates of progression between Littrell and Dykes? Is it apples to oranges with their rate and quality of P5 transfers? I feel this one is among the closest analogs our teams have to each other.

09/14, at Cal - do we show up again in a big way this year? Can the offense be elite enough to diversify and control one of the toughest defenses known to this level of play? I will be thrilled if Fine has 250 passing yards in this one.

09/21, UTSA - can we finally not let these posers get under our skin and hang around? Separation, separation, separation.

09/28, Houston - Against arguably even defenses, how do two of the top-5 G5 QBs grade out against each other? Who is more established in their new offensive schemes by week 5?

10/12, at Southern Miss - are we tired by week 7? Will we not get beat by the Bye? Can we prove the critics wrong and show that SoMiss does not deserve the presumptive West crown?

Houston, 9-28-19—Did the Coogs QB after his knee injury last Fall regain full speed?  If so, IMHO he will be the fastest QB with skins on the wall to ever play at Apogee Stadium. Even if he lost a step he’ll still be a mover.   Can’t wait for that game & is why I bought my tickets for it last Monday.  

I can’t see any other game in Texas that day that even the P5 folks will not avoid  casting a watchful eye as UH vs North Texas.  Should easily be a sellout no matter what each team’s records are. 

. Spoke with an area UH fan who said DFW Coog fans are already (or planning) on buying group tickets.  They had about 4K (?) UH fans at Apogees debut in 2011 so our fans need to step up & buy now & buy many to keep as much 🔴out of the stands as possible.  

➡️ In closing, we don’t  need Houston fans (& their Spirit of Houston Marching Band) make Apogee look like Gerald J. Ford Stadium at SMU will look like on September 7’th with all the sea of Green-clad fans everywhere. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1