DRC: UNT ranks second in revenue among C-USA schools, per USA Today

Brett Vito

IIRC, Old Dominion and most of the other Virginia schools are prohibited from receiving direct subsidies such as we use so they rely on student fees to support their programs.  At the vast majority of schools, someone has got to pay the bills, either the universities themselves, the students, or a mix of the two. At ODU, the students are paying.

PS. I just checked ODU's tuition and fees page and the students pay 121.69 per credit hour. Wow.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

IIRC, Old Dominion and most of the other Virginia schools are prohibited from receiving direct subsidies such as we use so they rely on student fees to support their programs.  At the vast majority of schools, someone has got to pay the bills, either the universities themselves, the students, or a mix of the two. At ODU, the students are paying.

PS. I just checked ODU's tuition and fees page and the students pay 121.69 per credit hour. Wow.

ODU tuition and fees s $356 a hour per their site.   I think your number is just the fees.

The amount ODU gets from students fees is about $2.3m more than the total that NT derives from fees and institutional support. 

They have a real problem because Va. has capped the amount of the athletic budget that can be derived from student fees.  ODU is currently in non-compliance and has been given a few years to get under the limit.    

I doubt ODU is going to reach that objective and be competitive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

ODU tuition and fees s $356 a hour per their site.   I think your number is just the fees.

The amount ODU gets from students fees is about $2.3m more than the total that NT derives from fees and institutional support. 

They have a real problem because Va. has capped the amount of the athletic budget that can be derived from student fees.  ODU is currently in non-compliance and has been given a few years to get under the limit.    

I doubt ODU is going to reach that objective and be competitive. 

Yes, I should have been more clear. The $121 figure is just the student activity fee.  As in many things with college athletics, the cap on student fees was politically motivated as UVa and Va Tech did not want their new FBS cohort to get too big for their britches. Before ODU, those were the only FBS programs in the entire state. Now there is also Liberty (private) and I suspect it will not be too much longer before James Madison joins FBS. Richmond (private) could join as well if they wanted. That school has a huge amount of money.

• Upvote 1