5 breakout candidates for North Texas in 2019

29 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

I dunno if #5 will even see the field.  If we're wanting to put hopes on a Freshman, I would probably choose Wood instead.  But I think KD Davis would be a good candidate to 'break out' if he can do even 75% of what Ejiya did.

• Upvote 1

Taylor Jacobs is coming off an injury to his foot or ankle. I remember him having a boot on for at least one of his visits to campus after his senior season. I'd be surprised if he was physically prime enough to execute all the new stuff he's learning in the scheme, but he sure does look like a guy who will contribute significantly sometime soon! 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno if #5 will even see the field.  If we're wanting to put hopes on a Freshman, I would probably choose Wood instead.  But I think KD Davis would be a good candidate to 'break out' if he can do even 75% of what Ejiya did.

Wood at 200 lbs playing LB?

I think if anyone needs a RS season, it's him. In fact, the relative light weight of our starting LB's is a bit concerning to me.

I think Gaddie has a better chance of getting significant playing time

27 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I think if anyone needs a RS season, it's him. In fact, the relative light weight of our starting LB's is a bit concerning to me.

Based on Fall Camp reports, Wood is really showing out.   Moreso than any of the other incoming LBs.  So I would not be surprised to see him in the mix, even ahead of last year's RSFr like Nixon, who I had some high hopes for this season.

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Quick reaction time is much more important than size in the linebacker position.   Few lb's are going to overpower offensive linemen, the trick is staying away from that contact. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

K.D. Davis

Tyreke Davis 

Nick Harvey

Jyaire Shorter

Oscar Adaway

I like this list, but I'm not sure I see Adaway having a major breakout season this year.  There are only so many touches to go around, and I expect Torrey and Easley to get the lions' share, Nick Smith a good number, and at least one other with whom to share the scraps.

That said, I remember when as a sophomore Lance Dunbar was Cam Montgomery's backup, then he had that one start when Cam was hurt...after that, Lance couldn't be a backup again.  He was too good to leave off the field.

• Upvote 2

On 8/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

If #5 doesn't see the field we may go undefeated.  He played in all 13 games last year; starting 10.  He was sixth in total tackles with 50.  He is very good in pursuit and tackling technique.  

His problem may be that he is still a little awkward at linebacker since he played nickel last year.  I believe that he will adapt and he's a pretty good fit for Reffit's defense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

If #5 doesn't see the field we may go undefeated.  He played in all 13 games last year; starting 10.  He was sixth in total tackles with 50.  He is very good in pursuit and tackling technique.  

His problem may be that he is still a little awkward at linebacker since he played nickel last year.  I believe that he will adapt and he's a pretty good fit for Reffit's defense.

Sorry Gray,

I meant #5 on Vito’s list: Taylor Jacobs, not jersey #5: Tyreke Davis, who should have a nice year if he can transition up closer to the LOS.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1