C-USA trending back to body bag games

Harry

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Personally I would love a yearly matchup with TCU while continuing the SMU series. But I know that’s very unlikely.

My preference would be to avoid playing both every year.  OOC games are an opportunity to spread our brand and establish a growing perception.

Taking up two OOC spots every year to beat two hyper-local teams....every year....seems very limiting IMO.

Alternate them every other year.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

My preference would be to avoid playing both every year.  OOC games are an opportunity to spread our brand and establish a growing perception.

Taking up two OOC spots every year to beat two hyper-local teams....every year....seems very limiting IMO.

Alternate them every other year.

Fundamentally disagree.

It could be a huge benefit to each school of a yearly competition for “The Golden Triangle”. Bragging rights abound, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Fundamentally disagree.

It could be a huge benefit to each school of a yearly competition for “The Golden Triangle”. Bragging rights abound, etc.

I've seen this benefit: it worked very well between UNM, UTEP and NMSU...increible history and rivalry among those three.

...30 years ago.  Before conference realignments were a thing.  Before national branding was a thing.

Maybe having this would help our national brand? I don't know.

It would def be fun.

The forgotten aspect of money games (hate the term body-bag) is that the players actually want to play them.  Playing a top twenty team should be seen as an opportunity not a punishment.  Playing in front of crowds of sixty thousand plus, are a thrill for the players.   

My guess, is that the current NT team, is not the one Cal thought they signed up to play.  That is not technically a money game because it is part of home and away series, but presents a real opportunity for NT to be noticed.  

Because of instant replay and advanced coverage, it is much harder to have a games stolen like the UT and Arkansas contests of the past. 

Victories are rare but sweet, Arkansas of last year and Fry's win over Tennessee are examples.  Loses against Clemson, Georgia , and others did nothing to diminish NT's reputation. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The forgotten aspect of money games (hate the term body-bag) is that the players actually want to play them.  Playing a top twenty team should be seen as an opportunity not a punishment.  Playing in front of crowds of sixty thousand plus, are a thrill for the players.   

My guess, is that the current NT team, is not the one Cal thought they signed up to play.  That is not technically a money game because it is part of home and away series, but presents a real opportunity for NT to be noticed.  

Because of instant replay and advanced coverage, it is much harder to have a games stolen like the UT and Arkansas contests of the past. 

Victories are rare but sweet, Arkansas of last year and Fry's win over Tennessee are examples.  Loses against Clemson, Georgia , and others did nothing to diminish NT's reputation. 

I have pretty strong opinions on scheduling, but I agree, we should play one a year. These teams aren’t going to come here, so if we have to go there, take a shot and get a check so be it. But only once a year. 

• Upvote 3