From TulsaWorld Newspaper—Suggestions For College FB Attendance Problems

PlummMeanGreen

From the article, item #1 is investment in bandwidth, i.e. WiFi in stadiums.

It's amazing that our stadium that is named for a major(?) provider of network services to universities doesn't provide a WiFi service in said stadium.

Anybody ever checked out their website?  Front page has a scrolling banner of 10 schools.  Guess which school isn't in the list.  If you stay on the page long enough, there is a fly-by selection of case studies that does have a panel for UNT.

Of course, the answer is at the bottom of the page.

CORPORATE
HEADQUARTERS

1905A Kramer Ln.
Austin, Texas 78758

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Regarding the article, it was pretty spot on with some good ideas.

Of the 10 suggestions, they essentially broke into:

• let the fans do something other than watch the game (4)
  • stop gouging the prices (3)
  • relate to fans (1)
  • don't play nUTSAck (1)
  • ??? (1) Item 1 was to add more BW for phones, but item 10 is to go listen to a coach that says phones are the biggest problem.  I don't disagree with him, but that is an interesting way to end a list.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If fans are there to watch the game, then why is there a need for WiFi services?  It is sad to look in the stands and everyone is staring down at their phones. 

We are encouraging it with some of the promos.  For example, if you post a picture online with a particular hashtag, you might have your picture shown on the scoreboard.  That’s a thing. 

Some people want to be able to communicate with others that they aren’t sitting next to in order to share game perspective.   See the in-game text circle that @Harry, @Evan, and @BeyondTheGreen get into.  

In the end, social media is embedded in a lot of people’s lives.  They want to checkin at big events and send selfies from said event.  If they want to shout to the world about the great time they are having at Apogee Stadium, I’m all for it.  

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

We are encouraging it with some of the promos.  For example, if you post a picture online with a particular hashtag, you might have your picture shown on the scoreboard.  That’s a thing. 

Some people want to be able to communicate with others that they aren’t sitting next to in order to share game perspective.   See the in-game text circle that @Harry, @Evan, and @BeyondTheGreen get into.  

In the end, social media is embedded in a lot of people’s lives.  They want to checkin at big events and send selfies from said event.  If they want to shout to the world about the great time they are having at Apogee Stadium, I’m all for it.  

I am all for that, but it the ones that disconnect from the game that bug me.   Plus, I'm old and the need to "check-in" or provide "selfies" is beyond me.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If fans are there to watch the game, then why is there a need for WiFi services?  It is sad to look in the stands and everyone is staring down at their phones. 

This capability isn’t going to motivate a ton of new people to stare at their phones.

I think people are already doing what they’ll do, this will just make it easier for them to do it.

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

This capability isn’t going to motivate a ton of new people to stare at their phones.

I think people are already doing what they’ll do, this will just make it easier for them to do it.

My recommendation would be to have good WiFi for Mean Green Club members only. Even at the $25 level you would get a members-only network inside the stadium. 

Have an even better one in the Club for those members. 

Everyone else battles for broadband on their phone networks. 

Might add 500 new members at the low level? Low-level members help our numbers and can lead to higher donations later. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1