Memphis hires new AD

Harry

To me this means that Wren Baker is looking for greener pastures and will not take an AD job unless it is P5 and a BIG increase in salary etc.  He could have easily landed this job and Memphis pays more money.

27 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Or he can stay here and we can continue to nicely compensate him! I want North Texas to be THE destination, not the stepping stone destination! 

I think we all want that... we're just not there yet.   Thankfully, it appears it's going to take quite a pull to get him out of here, like Littrell (turning down a KSSt offer for whatever reason), but we're not quite to where we want to be just yet.  So we're still a "stepping stone", but at least we're a strong, attractive one that's closer to the 'destination' than most others!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

As with Seth it is going to take a special offer for Wren to leave. He is also close to family, making good money and loves the Argyle area for his kids. Let’s all enjoy the ride. GMG  

I disagree as with Seth Littrell. The hiring of his agent is all there is needed to see in that regard. That may sound a bit anecdotal, but it's not at all. If the administration in Manhattan had given him complete control he'd be coaching in Manhattan right now. There will be, without a doubt, a program willing to give him that control this upcoming off season and he will be gone. The only way that does not happen is if we have a terrible season at somewhere around 5-7 or worse with this loaded roster. Then his shine wears off and we have ourselves a Skip Holtzesque kind of coach. Great coach, pretty dang recruiter, but never quite good enough to really break down the doors. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

There is always the danger of burn out with either of the jobs.  If Wren and Seth cannot fill Apogee and the SuperPit, I think they will say to themselves that they have done all they can for UNT-Denton.  I like them both and hope that they are around for a long time.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I disagree as with Seth Littrell. The hiring of his agent is all there is needed to see in that regard. That may sound a bit anecdotal, but it's not at all. If the administration in Manhattan had given him complete control he'd be coaching in Manhattan right now. There will be, without a doubt, a program willing to give him that control this upcoming off season and he will be gone. The only way that does not happen is if we have a terrible season at somewhere around 5-7 or worse with this loaded roster. Then his shine wears off and we have ourselves a Skip Holtzesque kind of coach. Great coach, pretty dang recruiter, but never quite good enough to really break down the doors. 

Find me a D1 head coach that doesn't have an agent.   Agent's primary function is to negotiate contracts.  This could be with a future or the current team. 

Does it not seem odd to you, that if KSU was really serious about hiring a new hc; that they would put restrictions on the acceptance that would drive away most qualified candidates?  In fact, although they kept younger Snyder on staff, it is much lesser position. 

One thing agents do, is put a positive spin on behalf of their clients.  Is it just possible, that KSU wanted the coach they hired more than Littrell?

Logic dictates that any successful G5 and most P5 head coaches are going to be offered higher paying jobs.   

Substantially more money and the lure of competing at a higher level and the prestige that goes with that, is more than most coaches are going to resist. 

Assuming a successful year, Littrell will get P5 offers and most likely will accept one.   

If that happens that is great and we should wish him well because he left a program that can't even be compared to the mess he took over. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not according to K-State insiders.

The same insiders that said the deal was done?

I still laugh at the “big donors” that said “oh yeah. It’s a done deal. Littrell is coming.”

Personally....I don’t think Littrell was ever going to KState. I think he hired Sexton and Sexton showed him how to stay right here and get more money until a top job comes calling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The same insiders that said the deal was done?

I still laugh at the “big donors” that said “oh yeah. It’s a done deal. Littrell is coming.”

Personally....I don’t think Littrell was ever going to KState. I think he hired Sexton and Sexton showed him how to stay right here and get more money until a top job comes calling. 

It was a done deal at KSU until they asked SL to keep most of their current assistants to avoid the buyout. SL balked, so they hired the NDSU coach instead. 

Make no mistake, assuming we have another winning season, SL will get plenty of other suitors. He applied for the Tennessee job after his second year here. He damn near had the KState job after his 3rd year. I’d imagine that there will be another P5 calling soon enough. If Arkansas has another bad year with Morris, they might just know the person they’d like to replace him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

It was a done deal at KSU until they asked SL to keep most of their current assistants to avoid the buyout. SL balked, so they hired the NDSU coach instead. 

Make no mistake, assuming we have another winning season, SL will get plenty of other suitors. He applied for the Tennessee job after his second year here. He damn near had the KState job after his 3rd year. I’d imagine that there will be another P5 calling soon enough. If Arkansas has another bad year with Morris, they might just know the person they’d like to replace him. 

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not according to K-State insiders.

I have no idea what actually happens between KSU and Littrell, other than what was reported by the media.   Universities have to be really careful with their comments and it is agent's business is to put their client in the best possible light.  

If they asked Littrell to keep most of their current assistants, they certainly didn't have the same requirement for the coach they hired.  The new coach kept two coaches from the old staff and both were in much lesser positions.   Sean Snyder, one of the two retained,  is not even technically an on-field coach, he is in the made up position of Sr. Special Team Analyst.  

My guess is if Littrell turned down the job it had more to do with the salary than having to carry Snyder in a non-essential position.  Yes, the KSU salary is higher than NT, but Littrell may think he can do better than a couple hundred thousand raise. 

Quoting an insider is hardly proof of anything.  It could be the AD or the ball boy.  

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

He had that K-State job (with strings attached) despite never winning his conference or a bowl game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Did he actively apply for the Tennessee job?

• Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Find me a D1 head coach that doesn't have an agent.   Agent's primary function is to negotiate contracts.  This could be with a future or the current team. 

Does it not seem odd to you, that if KSU was really serious about hiring a new hc; that they would put restrictions on the acceptance that would drive away most qualified candidates?  In fact, although they kept younger Snyder on staff, it is much lesser position. 

One thing agents do, is put a positive spin on behalf of their clients.  Is it just possible, that KSU wanted the coach they hired more than Littrell?

Logic dictates that any successful G5 and most P5 head coaches are going to be offered higher paying jobs.   

Substantially more money and the lure of competing at a higher level and the prestige that goes with that, is more than most coaches are going to resist. 

Assuming a successful year, Littrell will get P5 offers and most likely will accept one.   

If that happens that is great and we should wish him well because he left a program that can't even be compared to the mess he took over. 

It's not that he has an agent. Most do. It's the agent he decided to look after his affairs. Jimmy Sexton is a slimeball creep that will meander his clients into the best case scenario for HIMSELF. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have no idea what actually happens between KSU and Littrell, other than what was reported by the media. 

Quoting an insider is hardly proof of anything.  It could be the AD or the ball boy.  

I'm confused.  So I should rather defer to you, even though you admit you "have no idea what actually happened"?

I was not attempting to offer "proof," but it was at least something above a blind shot in the dark.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1