What's Left For Fine to Accomplish?

Harry

DENTON – Senior quarterback Mason Fine has accomplished quite a bit during his three-plus years in Denton. His name is all over the Mean Green record book and several other key categories are in his sights. What else is left before Fine moves on to his next chapter?

Winning his last game(s)

North Texas has resurrected itself quickly from the 1-11 2015 season prior to head coach Seth Littrelland Fine's arrival. The Mean Green have reached three consecutive bowl games for only the second time in program history. Unfortunately, however, the team has fallen in all three – only one of which Fine was completely healthy for.

He missed the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2016 due to injury as a true freshman and last season in the New Mexico Bowl suffered a leg injury in the first quarter that cost the Peggs, Oklahoma, native the remainder of the game, despite a gritty effort to fight through the pain.

The Mean Green are positioned well again to compete for a conference championship and find success in bowl season. One of the only things left on Fine's sparkling UNT resume is a win in his last game.

Wins in the final regular season game against defending Conference USA champion UAB, a conference championship game and then a bowl game are all realistic goals for this team, and Fine will be driving the bus.

read more: https://meangreensports.com/news/2019/8/6/football-whats-left-for-fine-to-accomplish.aspx

How does Fine become one of those journeymen players who are on rosters for several years?   Can he be a 2nd year senior or whatever?  Any baseball teams want to give Fine some cash to play, sit out a season and come back next year?

We need Fine to play one more year - 2020.  Need him for that trip to College Station. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

If Mason, Seth and Co win a title this year (CUSA and/or Bowl), does this become the greatest era of UNT football ever? Would it be the greatest season of football we have ever had?

Greatest season ever would have to include CUSA title, decent bowl trophy in the case, and 10+ win season. We've won bowls, conference titles and hit 10 as a program. Combine them all and it's unarguably the greatest season in UNT history. A very fitting way for Mason Fine to ride off into the sunset. 

11 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

How does Fine become one of those journeymen players who are on rosters for several years?   Can he be a 2nd year senior or whatever?  Any baseball teams want to give Fine some cash to play, sit out a season and come back next year?

We need Fine to play one more year - 2020.  Need him for that trip to College Station. 

Desperately. We'll be in rebuild-ish mode to some degree and A&M will be peaking. Recipe for a not so good game vs an opponent we need to have a respectable showing for to keep program momentum moving forward. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Desperately. We'll be in rebuild-ish mode to some degree and A&M will be peaking. Recipe for a not so good game vs an opponent we need to have a respectable showing for to keep program momentum moving forward. 

If we know we can't even come within 40-ish points of  a win here, I vote we go into full Darrel Dickey Shame Reduction Mode (TM) 

1. Run the ball, run the ball, try to get a first down. Eat clock. Hit them with a surprising long pass - Army style
2. Prevent defense on every down, do not let any big plays happen.  Force them to grind out long touchdowns. 
3. Stuff playbook in pants, scowl at opponents and generally look tough. 

Now I know some will howl that this is "giving up".  And they would be right.  But sorry guys, I'm too scarred by Todd Dodge "play to win" - "lose by 80" style. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

If Mason, Seth and Co win a title this year (CUSA and/or Bowl), does this become the greatest era of UNT football ever? Would it be the greatest season of football we have ever had?

Right.  If Conference Championship + Bowl win = Greatest Season consideration, then we need to beat 2002's accomplishments with an 8-5 record.  So, win both conference title & the bowl game, plus win 9 or more games... and maybe we can consider it up with Fry's 1977 team (even though they didn't get a bowl invite) that I would consider our best ever.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stan R said:

If we know we can't even come within 40-ish points of  a win here, I vote we go into full Darrel Dickey Shame Reduction Mode (TM) 

1. Run the ball, run the ball, try to get a first down. Eat clock. Hit them with a surprising long pass - Army style
2. Prevent defense on every down, do not let any big plays happen.  Force them to grind out long touchdowns. 
3. Stuff playbook in pants, scowl at opponents and generally look tough. 

Now I know some will howl that this is "giving up".  And they would be right.  But sorry guys, I'm too scarred by Todd Dodge "play to win" - "lose by 80" style. 

I get it. But at the same time I am of the mind that we will have a very capable QB starting next season. The A$M game is early and things will just be starting to click. So, it may be a rocky game a la a 2016 @ Florida kind of result. Or even a 2017 Iowa kind of outing if things go well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

To me the kicker is with Fine on the roster we have a chance to make this trip to Aggieville a respectable showing, dare I say possibly a win down there (albeit a long shot).  Without Fine no chance in hell.  

How would Fine still be on our roster?

maybe you’re making a joke that’s flying over my head.

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I get it. But at the same time I am of the mind that we will have a very capable QB starting next season. The A$M game is early and things will just be starting to click. So, it may be a rocky game a la a 2016 @ Florida kind of result. Or even a 2017 Iowa kind of outing if things go well. 

I agree. I think we are starting a QB-U type situation here. I think we will make the Aggies sweat a bit. 

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I like the enthusiasm, but better than the all time leader in just about every passing statistic in NCAA history?

That's a bit of a stretch. 

Totally different system and that system created those numbers.  I think Keenum was fantastic in college, but I just feel Fine is better.  Maybe it is because I get to see him all the time, something I didn't do with Keenum, but I feel Fine is more mobile, more accurate and has a better arm.  Just my opinion.

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Totally different system and that system created those numbers.  I think Keenum was fantastic in college, but I just feel Fine is better.  Maybe it is because I get to see him all the time, something I didn't do with Keenum, but I feel Fine is more mobile, more accurate and has a better arm.  Just my opinion.

Keenan had the most amazing timing when it came to those short-to-mid range passes.   He and the WRs were in sync, on a level I had never seen before.

I’ll have to revisit Fine’s film and watch with those lenses, see if I can compare the two.

• Upvote 1