DRC Tuesday practice notes: Battles in secondary shaping up

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

disappointing hearing of players not coming in shape, Reffett has no problems calling it out, really no excuse to not be in shape coming into camp unless there was an injury.

Remember, he was the guy who was working to qualify academically.  He wasn’t here for the Summer like a lot of the other guys were, working with the strength program & dietary program.

He could have been working out every day at home and still come in ‘out of shape’ because he wasn’t here for the summer.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Remember, he was the guy who was working to qualify academically.  He wasn’t here for the Summer like a lot of the other guys were, working with the strength program & dietary program.

He could have been working out every day at home and still come in ‘out of shape’ because he wasn’t here for the summer.

This is true, but I had a friend of mine that was a DB at Memphis. They send you a workout to try and stay with the team. It’s your choice to follow it or not. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, SigmaGreen said:

This is true, but I had a friend of mine that was a DB at Memphis. They send you a workout to try and stay with the team. It’s your choice to follow it or not. 

I want to believe this, but wonder how a kid is expected to have the same resources they can provide on-campus.

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

I want to believe this, but wonder how a kid is expected to have the same resources they can provide on-campus.

I’m not saying it’s the exact same resources like nutrition and collegiate strength coaches. However the strength coach makes a program and sends them out. Then the player typically gets a personal trainer or does it at the local high school.  This is just what I encountered for my friend.

3 hours ago, SigmaGreen said:

I’m not saying it’s the exact same resources like nutrition and collegiate strength coaches. However the strength coach makes a program and sends them out. Then the player typically gets a personal trainer or does it at the local high school.  This is just what I encountered for my friend.

He could have followed all of that to a T, and still be considered "out of shape" by the coaches, simply due to the drastic differences in what is available to him at home VS here.

Or, he could have sat around all summer eating donuts & pizza and playing Fortnite.  Who knows?   

But I don't fault the guy.  If he's for real, he'll take his redshirt this year, and be ready for Spring Practice.  If he's lazy, that will show up in results as well.

• Upvote 2