ODU's new stadium

Here is a link to ODU's new stadium. They began the work immediately following their last game of the season against VMI and have been working nonstop for the past year. It has to be ready for their first game on the season against Norfolk State so they have about four weeks to go.

BTW, The Virginian Pilot's former ODU beat writer and my old high school classmate, Harry Minium is now a writer for ODU. He puts out some good stories on their behalf. 

ODU Stadium

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

It's a nice looking stadium.  I'm impressed that they did the work so quickly and kept so much of the old stadium.  I looked and I'm sure I missed it...What was the old seating capacity and what is it now ? 

Foreman Field, the original stadium, held 15,000. When ODU began playing football, seating was added at the end zones raising the capacity to about 20,000. The new stadium will hold about 22,000 but can be expanded to 30,000 later if needed.

There was not much else they could do other than build the new stadium on the bones of the old. Norfolk is such a densely populated city, surrounded by water, there was no place to build a new stadium.

I admit, it is impressive that they did this all within a year. One nice touch, when the last game in the old stadium was over, they invited relatives of A.H Foreman, an early backer for the Norfolk Division of William & Mary which was the forerunner of ODU, to turn off the stadium lights for the last time.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Looks a little small but I think it’s an improvement. Still hate ODU though...after last years debacle. 

Agreed. There are Texas high school football stadiums bigger than theirs. Unfortunately, they are locked in that spot with no room to expand due to the neighborhoods and houses around them. 

25 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I blame Harrell. 

If anyone gets bent out of shape when NT happens to get blamed for "running up the score" in any game, that person simply needs to be reminded about the ODU game.   

Even a 28-point lead is not safe.  The guys took their foot off the gas and it cost them the magical 10-win season.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adamhenry said:

I see this video for a long time but don't realize what's going on. But I enjoy it so much.

In case you aren’t familiar with the spitting incident that occurred at last year’s game against ODU:

Spitting incident got ODU "fired up" in win over North Texas | ODUBlitz | pilotonline.com - https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/article_b9f6ef72-e6c1-11e8-bf9f-5b2e23a45e05.html