Mack Brown idea to revamp the CFP

As Andre Ware said on College Football Live last week...I'm sure Mack didn't think that when he was at App St or Tulane.

But regardless, this is going to continue to pick up steam...

P5s are starting to schedule more P5 non conference games in the future. I"m surprised they haven't just outright "colluded" and made an agreement to eliminate games vs G5s all together. 

Forget P5 vs G5.....what are they going to do about the top 3rd of the P5 vs the rest of the P5. That hurts their credibility for these arguments for separation IMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Where this idea will fail to gain approval is the schools that are on the low end of things. Interestingly, UNC is one of those schools, so not sure why he is saying this. Either way, those schools need to try to build wins through schools with a lower profile and fewer resources. Why would they approve this kind of plan? It will just hurt them, so I don't see this kind of thing building any steam.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, the money would just roll in like it did as a member of 1aa football.  

As bad as it is being a second class institution in D1, a separate division would be a disaster.   

Anyone who followed the program during the 1aa years, knows that the designation as D1 matters. 

If you want NT to return to single digit average football attendance and reduce national coverage by about 90%, a G5 football organization and playoff is a good plan.   

I tend to agree. But I have a question about that.....

If there was a split (an official split) and FBS/Div 1/whatever it’s called, was 50-60 teams (which is what they want anyway) would the result be a disaster? 

We’re not talking about being in a division with current FCS teams....would it be in a division with current G5’s? A playoff with them? CUSA/AAC/MWC etc. reorganized via geography? 

The difference in then and now is we’ll have company this time. 

UH isn’t gettin in the new D1. SMU isn’t. Memphis isn’t. Etc. 

****Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not ADVOCATING for that. Just asking the question****

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, the money would just roll in like it did as a member of 1aa football.  

As bad as it is being a second class institution in D1, a separate division would be a disaster.   

Anyone who followed the program during the 1aa years, knows that the designation as D1 matters. 

If you want NT to return to single digit thousands average football attendance and reduce national coverage by about 90%, a G5 football organization and playoff is a good plan.   

Things have changed dramatically.  Same type arguments made with P5 playoffs and bowl games! Old school!  From high school, P5 , Pro’s, Canadian and the new leagues coming out we are the only Conference that doesn’t have some type of playoff with a champion.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If there was a split (an official split) and FBS/Div 1/whatever it’s called, was 50-60 teams (which is what they want anyway) would the result be a disaster? 

We’re not talking about being in a division with current FCS teams....would it be in a division with current G5’s? A playoff with them? CUSA/AAC/MWC etc. reorganized via geography? 

****Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not ADVOCATING for that. Just asking the question****

The reality is that the G5’s will have to be split off, with the lower G5’s going first, then eventually the folks in the AAC and MWC, as well as the Big XII leftovers. The sooner this happens, the better it will be. We shouldn’t be playing those bodybag games just like we shouldn’t be playing FCS opponents. It’s ok to accept that Houston, SMU, and all the rest of us aren’t getting invited in and the legislatures and networks are not going to ever make it happen. The NCAA doesn’t want to lose the basketball tournaments or the college World Series, so they will let the Power Teams and their networks dictate it.

And it would be the best thing for us. Our level of play would get the same amount  of coverage, plus we can have a playoff all to ourselves, during the time we play most of the spare G5 bowls anyway. Our kids, our coaches, and our fans deserve to play for a national championship. Not having that chance now is absolutely unfair. And asking those Power Teams that have 5x more fans and revenue we have shouldn’t have to change it just because...that’s AOC territory, folks...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Things have changed dramatically.  Same type arguments made with P5 playoffs and bowl games! Old school!  From high school, P5 , Pro’s, Canadian and the new leagues coming out we are the only Conference that doesn’t have some type of playoff with a champion.

Maybe because G5 is not a conference or for that matter, anything but a moniker for conferences that are not in the d1 bowl alliance.  Technically G5 schools are eligible for the championship bowl arrangement. 

It would be interesting if an organization of G5 conferences did occur.  I think their focus would be in getting more inclusion in the D1 decision making, not in separation.   

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It would still be second tier with a better cast than the old 1aa system.  Yes, I do think it would be akin to the old split of D1 between 1a and 1aa.   

NT was lucky to survive their stint in 1aa and it took years to recover.   I doubt there are any D1 programs that want to be designated to be in a lower level of competition.  

As far as a Mack Brown forced separation, not going to happen.    Can you imagine the lawsuits? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Maybe because G5 is not a conference or for that matter, anything but a moniker for conferences that are not in the d1 bowl alliance.  Technically G5 schools are eligible for the championship bowl arrangement. 

It would be interesting if an organization of G5 conferences did occur.  I think their focus would be in getting more inclusion in the D1 decision making, not in separation.   

It would still be second tier with a better cast than the old 1aa system.  Yes, I do think it would be akin to the old split of D1 between 1a and 1aa.   

NT was lucky to survive their stint in 1aa and it took years to recover.   I doubt there are any D1 programs that want to be designated to be in a lower level of competition.  

As far as a Mack Brown forced separation, not going to happen.    Can you imagine the lawsuits? 

Name one scenario where the lawsuits would get a win for the G5’s to get “equal” treatment with the P5s...

• Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

As Andre Ware said on College Football Live last week...I'm sure Mack didn't think that when he was at App St or Tulane.

But regardless, this is going to continue to pick up steam...

P5s are starting to schedule more P5 non conference games in the future. I"m surprised they haven't just outright "colluded" and made an agreement to eliminate games vs G5s all together. 

Forget P5 vs G5.....what are they going to do about the top 3rd of the P5 vs the rest of the P5. That hurts their credibility for these arguments for separation IMHO.

Mack Brown also supports making the "Horns Down" sign a flag-able and fine-able offense... just saying...

• Upvote 1

I really doubt any Big 12 schools would get left behind, but if that did happen wouldn’t the demotion of schools like TCU/Baylor destroy any type of momentum or fan interst these programs have spent years building? After already making it to the Big 12, you could not sell TCU fans on competing with the likes of UTEP, Texas State, SMU, UH or UNT etc. Sure it sounds nice as a UNT fan to be associated with TCU, Baylor or possibly Tech/Okstate, but these programs would just be a shell of what they used to be. 

Edited by Mab2015
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mab2015 said:

wouldn’t the demotion of schools like TCU/Baylor destroy any type of momentum or fan interst these programs have spent years building?

Very valid point you make.  And welcome to the site.

The other side of it is, given how much they have put into the programs would they just let them wither and die?  No I think they would try to keep winning and building them as best they could.

The fact is, programs like Baylor, TCU, Kansas, OSU, Kansas State etc benefit MIGHTILY from being associated with the likes of Texas and OU.  Go look at their attendance rolls and tell me which home games they sell out and make the most revenue with?

University of Houston had every right to be considered in the expansion talks with the Big 12. But they were booted out because these smaller programs knew UofH would surpass them quickly given their size and being in such a hotbed of recruiting.  That is not competition that is a perverse, monopolistic type of cartel mentality.   On the other hand you have a program like SMU which is basically trying to buy their way to relevance. 

I also understand why the grandfathered programs like Baylor and TCU want to keep things the way they are. 

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Name one scenario where the lawsuits would get a win for the G5’s to get “equal” treatment with the P5s...

Stated nothing about such a lawsuit.

The possible lawsuits I was referencing to, would be for damages from a rule barring P5 teams playing non-P5 teams.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Stated nothing about such a lawsuit.

The possible lawsuits I was referencing to, would be for damages from a rule barring P5 teams playing non-P5 teams.  

It’s the same thing...name the judge who’s going to make a college program have to play another college in a different category. There’s nothing to make Texas have to play us now. No judge will change that.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It’s the same thing...name the judge who’s going to make a college program have to play another college in a different category. There’s nothing to make Texas have to play us now. No judge will change that.

Your making a point that has almost nothing to do with my post.  

There is a lot of difference between barring teams from playing each other, versus one mandating they play each other.  

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Your making a point that has almost nothing to do with my post.  

There is a lot of difference between barring teams from playing each other, versus one mandating they play each other.  

I apologize for not understanding your point then about lawsuits. What is your point?

• Eye Roll 1