• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

11 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Some good stuff here.  I think a longer waiting period for certain guns is a good idea, FWIW.  But there are plenty of "nobody needs an <insert model here> gun" folks, as well.

There are.  And I don't know if they really think they're going to convince the entire public (or even a majority), or if it's the old negotiating tactic of starting high, then meeting lower.   But yeah, there are going to be people at the polar ends ("nobody needs an 'assault rifle'!", & "I'm a 'good guy', why are you making it harder for me?") who will hate any kind of middle ground compromise because each will believe they're giving up too much.   We just can't let those kinds of folks scream loudly enough to thwart honest efforts, and cause inaction... because we've seen where that has gotten us.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I have owned guns for as long as I can remember.   As a matter of fact I took my son to the gun range a few days ago to shoot the .22 my father bought me when I was 12.   I am not a gun fanatic but I do enjoy hunting and also have a handgun I keep secured in the house.  To me the gun debate is primarily about one thing.  Magazine capacity.

Considering that populations have increased exponentially over time and human living conditions have become more dense.  There will only continue to be more unstable people in our society that intend to do harm to others and have easy access to large crowds.  We can talk about family, mental health, video games and so on but an ever increasing population will only mean there will be more unstable people.  So we must do one of two things in this country.  We either accept that this is a part of life now and lets get on with it.  Which sounds crass but that is a viable option.  Otherwise, we limit magazine capacity to around 5 which should appease most rational hunters and would slow a active shooter down greatly in his endeavor to inflict maximum damage.  Pretty much every other idea is either totally implausible in the United States or is just a band aid fix.  Reducing magazine capacity will help greatly over time and could be stomached by most law abiding gun owners.  

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 3

On 8/9/2019 at 1:49 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

If  you're looking to ban a certain type of weapon that's one thing that has a whole set of consequences, I just think when you start talking about taking guns away from people you're closing in on something that could provide the government with an opportunity to start taking other things that the "majority" believe they should not have. What could be next? I know people will say " where just talking about assault weapons" but what is to keep the government from going after more personal items from the people?

Bought any ammonium nitrate to fertilize your yard lately ..?? .. I once was able to and in fact sold it when I was in college.  You can still buy fertilizer just not that... it is now regulated..  What is keep them from taking more personal things as you mentioned ?? ....... elections. . 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

On 8/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, LongJim said:

Other countries similar to the US have issues similar to ours.  While the UK has notably reduced access to firearms, and this has resulted in fewer mass shootings, they have seen a marked increase in attacks and homicides with sharp instruments, and I believe parallels can be drawn with similar situations in larger cities in the US.  These statistics have been scoffed at as not being relevant to the situation in the US by gun control advocates, but they are what they are, and I believe root causes are similar to ours.  Text has been bolded by me below:

that was actually exactly my point.

violence isn't uniquely American. what is uniquely American is the ability with relative easy to acquire an implement with the ability to kill 10 and injure 27 others in 32 seconds. 

I'm sure Rick will find some deep-web YouTube video of some combat bro flexing mad skill with a bowie, but the point stands

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

that was actually exactly my point.

violence isn't uniquely American. what is uniquely American is the ability with relative easy to acquire an implement with the ability to kill 10 and injure 27 others in 32 seconds. 

I'm sure Rick will find some deep-web YouTube video of some combat bro flexing mad skill with a bowie, but the point stands

Like as easy as placing a key into a little slot, turning it and running over people with a 10,000 lb truck?

Rick  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Back in ‘86 a crazed Cuban made sure everyone on a tour boat in New York City got his point.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/08/nyregion/man-with-sword-kills-2-and-wounds-9-on-si-ferry.html

Rick

• Downvote 1

Reducing magazine capacity may be option.  Until someone learns, if not already, to produce them in his garage, or use 3-D printing and sell higher capacity magazines on the black market.  And for the record, I don't know the answer for this rampant killing of innocent people.  As an Army Veteran, Viet Nam, these sports rifles of the AR16 variety are made for killing people.   I assume most use the .223 round.  They are made to go into a human body, creating an initial hole, then tumbling inside, and exiting the body via a whole lot larger hole.  It's like it explodes when it exits, creating an external cavern many, many times larger.  Serious damage and death.  

Sorry for the graphic description.

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Like as easy as placing a key into a little slot, turning it and running over people with a 10,000 lb truck?

Rick  

On 23 October 2014, the US National Institute of Building Sciences updated its Building Design Guideline on Crash- and Attack-Resistant Models of bollards, a guideline written to help professionals design bollards to protect facilities from vehicle operators, "who plan or carry out acts of property destruction, incite terrorism, or cause the deaths of civilian, industrial or military populations". The American Bar Association recommends bollards as effective protection against car ramming attacks.

so even on this, we're trying. 

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Back in ‘86 a crazed Cuban made sure everyone on a tour boat in New York City got his point.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/08/nyregion/man-with-sword-kills-2-and-wounds-9-on-si-ferry.html

Rick

"The boats, which each carry up to 6,000 people"

he killed 2 and injured 9 and was stopped by a 50 year old retired cop with a .38. swap the sword for an uzi...then re-write the headline. 

18 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

"The boats, which each carry up to 6,000 people"

he killed 2 and injured 9 and was stopped by a 50 year old retired cop with a .38. swap the sword for an uzi...then re-write the headline. 

Those actually ARE illegal.  So I don’t think you’d see the stereotypical psycho terrorist kid with one... because, again, how’s he gonna obtain one?  Black market? On the streets?  

But yeah, your point absolutely stands.  High caliber, semi-auto, large magazine weapons are going to do a ton more damage than a blade.