• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

At least 31 people dead and countless others injured and this is your comment?

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 6

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

At least 31 people dead and countless others injured and this is your comment?

I've got the number at 90 people dead for the calendar year. 

I was actually hoping now might be the right time to discuss the Poway Synagogue shooting from April of this year. almost 4 months have passed...that's the standard breathing time, right? 

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1836949580

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I was actually hoping now might be the right time to discuss the Poway Synagogue shooting from April of this year. almost 4 months have passed...that's the standard breathing time, right? 

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1836949580

Does that number include the citizens of Chicago?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Does that number include the citizens of Chicago?

It does!

Chicago has had 10 deaths due to mass shootings this year making South Side Chicago more than twice as safe as your local Wal-Mart!

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Sure, what would you like to discuss about the shooting at the synagogue.  I would love to hear your priceless opinion.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

Mass shootings need to be addressed as a mental health issue, not necessarily gun legislation issue.  I think the latter is more relevant to general crime in this country, but I also read that a (the?) dominant cause of gun deaths in this country is suicide...which circles back to mental health.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

@meangreenacct we need to do more to understand how/why some people embrace conspiracy theories, hate speech, etc...and what makes them turn to violence.

agree re: voting & democracy.

• Upvote 6

I’m not dismissing the shooting deaths, but to me the massive number of death on our roads and highways (3300 in Texas alone in 2018) need to also be addressed.  This year we’re nearing 3,000 deaths in Texas as I spent 2 hours this morning digging what was left of five of them from a truck of a 6 person fatal crash.

It was my 7th fatal wreck to work this year..

Just as I don’t understand what makes someone snap and want to shoot innocent strangers I don’t understand how so many careless people are allowed behind the wheel of a multi ton object that can travel at a high rate of speed that kills tens of thousands.

We’ll bury another 40,000 to 50,000 this year in the U.S. due to fatal auto wrecks but since it’s not a political football you’ll hardly hear a word about it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Agree with this take wholeheartedly.

I think you'll find a similar connection--I know you will--when examining situations in Chicago and other hotbeds of gun violence.

"We are quick to settle on narratives that suit our own convictions, because that’s how we make the boogey man go away."--Rod Dreher

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Divorce rate in UK is approx 42%, statistics put US rate somewhere in neighborhood of 45% - not a statistically significant difference...so why is their mass shooting rate basically 0? What is the difference there?

• Upvote 5

Don’t know the answer to that, but young men need strong male role models. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

Divorce rate in UK is approx 42%, statistics put US rate somewhere in neighborhood of 45% - not a statistically significant difference...so why is their mass shooting rate basically 0? What is the difference there?

Basically anything we can blame outside of the availability of assault weapons to the general public.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not anti-gun..(own some and use them to kill snakes etc. . I own rural ranchland.).  I am anti "assault-type guns"... 9 people were killed and 20+ wounded in about 30 SECONDS in Ohio ... that could have NOT happened with  "normal guns".. No one but police, military,  security,  maybe a few others  should have those.. Those are almost always the guns used in mass murders. ...We have extreme control of dynamite and explosives ..  I can not even buy certain fertilizers that I once did anymore.  Why not assault guns.?  ... Guns are not toys.... especially  to most rural type people... Assault types guns were originally designed to kill PEOPLE in combat ... not for sport or any other reason.  

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Don’t know the answer to that, but young men need strong male role models. 

Curious, I would love to know who down voted the comment that young men need strong male role models.  I am truly curious as to your point of view.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

hahahaha --- I can thinks of some "wimps" that think having a gun makes them a "real man" ..... ...maybe even a strong male model to be looked up to... ...hahaha

Anyone that carries one FOR THAT REASON.... has a problem.  

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Curious, I would love to know who down voted the comment that young men need strong male role models.  I am truly curious as to your point of view.

I was one of them. Not having a male role model, playing videogames, being lonely, mental health, or whatever other excuse thrown out there is not responsible for killing all of those people this weekend. A person with hatred killed those people.

Stop making excuses for 'misunderstood' white kids.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I was one of them. Not having a male role model, playing videogames, being lonely, mental health, or whatever other excuse thrown out there is not responsible for killing all of those people this weekend. A person with hatred killed those people.

Stop making excuses for 'misunderstood' white kids.

I am not making excuses.  I found it interesting that 25 out of the past 26 mass shooters were young men without an active father or a male role model.  Boys need men in their lives during their developing years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3