Future non-conference schedule changes

vpackrats

Baker alluded to an open date to fill during the Mania event Saturday.  Mentioned the need to have 6 home games every year, and if possible, 7. 

He did not specify targets for the open dates, but did mention Texas-region FCS teams, as well as the usual FBS schools such as Baylor.  Additionally, he answered a question about an off-campus (which I read as: Jerry World or Cotton Bowl) game by saying it's something the AD would consider if it gave the program requisite exposure.  I took that to mean regional/national TV coverage against a major P5 foe, but I emphasize that's complete speculation on my part.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Baker alluded to an open date to fill during the Mania event Saturday.  Mentioned the need to have 6 home games every year, and if possible, 7. 

He did not specify targets for the open dates, but did mention Texas-region FCS teams, as well as the usual FBS schools such as Baylor.  Additionally, he answered a question about an off-campus (which I read as: Jerry World or Cotton Bowl) game by saying it's something the AD would consider if it gave the program requisite exposure.  I took that to mean regional/national TV coverage against a major P5 foe, but I emphasize that's complete speculation on my part.

What I heard in that last bit was that he would consider it in addition to 6 games at Apogee, not replacing a true home game. It sounded to me like he is in favor of 6 true home games and a neutral site should not be at the expense of on of those. Same speculation, but that is how I heard it.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

What I heard in that last bit was that he would consider it in addition to 6 games at Apogee, not replacing a true home game. It sounded to me like he is in favor of 6 true home games and a neutral site should not be at the expense of on of those. Same speculation, but that is how I heard it.

This is also what I heard.   So, there will never be a 5-game schedule at Apogee with a 6th "home" game at AT&T Stadium or the Cotton Bowl.  It will have to be 6 home games plus the neutral site game.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is also what I heard.   So, there will never be a 5-game schedule at Apogee with a 6th "home" game at AT&T Stadium or the Cotton Bowl.  It will have to be 6 home games plus the neutral site game.

Yeah, that sounds right to me too.  Probably wasn't clear in my post.

23 hours ago, vpackrats said:

A few minor future non-conference scheduling notes for you while we're waiting for the real football season to get here.

*  Noticed that we replaced Rhode Island with Northwestern State for 2021.  That should make some people on the board happy as I know many were not enthused with Rhode Island.  Also, getting a former Southland Conference mate to play here will definitely bring more people than Rhode Island would have.

*  Speaking of Southland Conference teams, SFA has been moved from 2022 to 2023 creating one more open date for us in 2022.

image.png

I would highly encourage everyone to make the trip up in 2021 to face Missouruh if you can. Columbia is an excellent college town that rallies around the school and the game day atmosphere is electric. I went to Mizzou - Vanderbilt last year, planning on attending Mizzou - Florida this year. Guaranteed I will be there in 2021

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, drycreek said:

I THOUGHT baylor WAS ON FUTURE SCHEDULE SOMETIME, ANYBODY KNOW WHEN IF TRUE?

2028/2029.... so right at the start of the Alexandria Ocasio Cortez presidency 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

2028/2029.... so right at the start of the Alexandria Ocasio Cortez presidency 😂

Not sure how that's gonna work out considering the Earth is a ticking time bomb and only has about ten years left.

• Haha 3