Travel Trailer Tailgating Questions

Grant.UNT

Hey everyone. Feel free to move this thread wherever it belongs, please. Wife and I bought a travel trailer today and the purchase was primarily for  UNT tailgating. Been talking about it for years. I have a few questions as I'm brand new to it. I bought a 26' for travel trailer. It has a 15,000BTU AC unit, tv, stove, fridge, microwave, etc. The standard stuff. I've pulled boats before, but never a travel trailer. I have a 2015 1/2 ton crew cab chevy Z71 with 9,200 lbs towing capacity and sway control. I bought the Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch, and now I need a generator to run the ACs at night. I was told to buy a dual-fuel with no less than 4500 watts. Can I do smaller? Is that starting amps, or running amps? What brand is good? Where to buy from? I just don't won't to buy junk and regret it. I see a lot of people buying 3,500 watts. I like electric with recoil as backup vs recoil only. I don't know what I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Feel free to respond here or text me directly. Grant Gilbert 214-310-8412

Thanks in advance

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I have a similar travel trailer I camp all over the country in during the summer (wife and I are both teachers) but have never tailgated in it. Is your trailer set up for 30 amp or 50 amp. Ours is 30 amp and a 3,500 Champion will run it with no problem. I can actually run it on 20 amp outlet as long as I don't try to run the a/c and microwave at the same time. In a pinch your refrigerator will run on propane for days or 12 volt for hours.

There is a Facebook group called RV Atlas that is a good place to ask questions like this if you don't mind a few irrelevant responses before getting the right answer.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

I run a Honda 3000 and it handles my 15000 AC with no problems and is super quiet.  I think if i had to do it over again I would buy 2 Honda 2000’s and run them in parallel.  Besides making sure you buy a generator that can handle your trailers load the next three most important things you want are quiet, quiet and portability.  I know inverter generators are expensive but they are worth every penny.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1