3 votes...

THOR

12 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Not to be a killjoy but if we don't beat SMU, we're not top 75.

Two years ago against SMU I hoped to win. 

Last year I thought we'd win

This year I expect to win. 

Agree with all of that.

The game just seems like a tossup. Maybe I'm overrating SMU and I have to get the 2nd half of last season out of my mind...They did upgrade their QB, are in Dykes's system now and we're playing there. To your point...if we don't beat SMU...we're probably not going to beat Cal.

But I really want to go into the Houston game at least 3-1. (we have a good chance to be 4-0. 3-1 just looks so much better than 2-2 going into a tough game. I don't want to have to beat Houston to avoid being under .500)

It just feels like that's the key game and will show what this team is made of. We win...we're headed toward a sellout against Houston with a good record. We lose...we could be staring at under .500 going to Hattiesburg.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Maybe I'm overrating SMU

👀

No in fact, you are absolutely not overrating them.  The problem with both SMU and Houston is both have added a ton of immediately eligible p5 transfers at many key positions.  SMU did this last year as well but it took their transfers a few games to fully grasp the system etc.  An example of this is linebacker Richard Moore a transfer from A&M who had 9 tackles in our game last season as a junior.  He's going to be a better player this time around.  At QB they have UT transfer Shane Buchele who is a heck of a player for them to land.  He started at Texas until Erlingher took control.  They are a completely different team with all of these transfers and we NEVER play well on the Hilltop. 

Another factor to consider is how SMU fares the week prior in a roadie against Arky State.  Arky State is a 3-point favorite on the Vegas line right now and I think if SMU loses to them they could be pretty down...

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

the first half of our season is tough...

SMU, Cal, UH, @USM

all 4 are tossups....we could go 4-0 or 0-4 in those games. I just don't know....

I don't want to downplay ACU.. Never put down an opponent. But I think our pivotal game is SMU, which you already talked about. Think about what the beat down SMU took last year by us, did to our team's mentality. You could argue that that built our confidence up to destroy Arkansas. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

Expectations are really high this year, I think more so than last year? Just with it being Fine’s last year, probably SL’s as well....great recruiting class coming in. Just a lot of expectations. Which is how it should be. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I don't want to downplay ACU.. Never put down an opponent. But I think our pivotal game is SMU, which you already talked about. Think about what the beat down SMU took last year by us did to our teams mentality. You could argue that that built our confidence up to destroy Arkansas. 

The $MU game always seems like a measuring stick on how talented North Texas is every season. A win at $MU and it will be huge. 

(Yes I know I’m stating the obvious 😅)

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Harry said:

👀

No in fact, you are absolutely not overrating them.  The problem with both SMU and Houston is both have added a ton of immediately eligible p5 transfers at many key positions.  SMU did this last year as well but it took their transfers a few games to fully grasp the system etc

We added 2 p5 cornerbacks 

• Upvote 3

NT has UH at home, NT beat SMU about as bad as a team can get beat last year, and NT has a three game winning streak over USM.

The early schedule is not the murderer's row some of you seem to think it is.  

UH, SMU and USM are teams that NT should beat and Cal is far from a sure loss.   

If coming off two nine wins seasons with the best QB in NT history, is not cause for some optimism; I wonder when is.     

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

the first half of our season is tough...

SMU, Cal, UH, @USM

all 4 are tossups....we could go 4-0 or 0-4 in those games. I just don't know....

4-0 would be amazing, but I definitely do not see 0-4. Not with Fine and Littrell at the helm.  2-2 at the worst.

::knocks on wood::

• Upvote 2