Fouts Reliefs

3XNTGRAD

40 minutes ago, 3XNTGRAD said:

I don't think anyone else has posted this, but as I was driving down North Texas Blvd. this morning I noticed that it looks like the Fouts reliefs are on the back of the new structures being built at the bus stops in the Fouts parking lot. You can see them as you drive down North Texas Blvd. right where it intersects with Highland. I was driving so couldn't snap a photo.

pic? thanks

29 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Nice, but I wish they were more elevated/prominent.

Upon further review, I think the reliefs would have been better used if incorporated into Apogee Stadium.  Playing our athletic history forward, if you will.  And I mean visible at Apogee.  Just hate seeing all of that UNT/Fouts history displayed at some insignificant bus stop.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

13 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Upon further review, I think the reliefs would have been better used if incorporated into Apogee Stadium.  Playing our athletic history forward, if you will.  And I mean visible at Apogee.  Just hate seeing all of that UNT/Fouts history displayed at some insignificant bus stop.

Yep, this seems like a major afterthought and that there was no plans for them until the AD got pushback from the public.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yep, this seems like a major afterthought and that there was no plans for them until the AD got pushback from the public.

I think that there could have been thought that they are being put into the vicinity of where Fouts once stood. Apogee is not exactly where Fouts was. Although I understand how a "Bus Stop" can impact how we honored our history too.

Maybe not the best use of the reliefs, but definitely not the worst.  It would have been cool to have them used in some way at Apogee, but I also kind of like the idea of leaving them where Fouts stood.  Considering the location will be a parking lot, the options on using them there were certainly limited.  Hopefully there is/will be some type of plaque that explains their history, if not, most people won't have a clue.  

• Upvote 1

If leaving the reliefs at the Fouts location was the intent all along, this is what should have been done.

Build a nice monument, somewhere in the vicinity of Fouts, with an appropriate inscription as to the history of Fouts Field, surrounded by a water fountain feature made of and incorporating the stainless steel men’s urinals laid out to hold the flowing water from the fountain.

Bam!  Everyone’s happy!

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2

Let's see it when it is finished.  Outside of @DeepGreen recommendation above, nothing really makes sense.  They don't really fit in at Apogee, so they are staying in the area of Fouts.  Does this front North Texas Blvd. across from the Super Pit?  If so, basketball fans will get to see them.

• Thanks 1