8 hours ago, Rudy said:

Serious question @ColoradoEagle, how is it racist to expect someone to learn enough English to be able to communicate if they move to this country?  Shouldn't ANYONE who moves to another country be expected to learn the language of the country they move to?  It's not a race issue. 

Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "enough English." Someone should know enough to be able to navigate or call emergency services in my opinion. Beyond that, it's a lot more gray of an area. There's not an official language in this country, and there are certainly areas where a person can live very happily knowing very little English (eg. Spanish in border towns in Texas, Mandarin in certain areas of Los Angeles, French in parts of the east coast, etc). 

Also, it's one thing to say someone might want to learn enough English to get by. Not an opinion everybody shares, but I don't personally see anything malicious about it. I'd say it's another to say they should learn English. That implies a sense of superiority and is a way of degrading someone.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

23 hours ago, Rudy said:

So I guess everyone's cool with Biden saying poor kids are just as smart as white kids?

nope : https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/why-joe-bidens-gaffes-matter

that is racism. it comes from a place of white privilege...more specifically, old white man white privilege. had that line been delivered in the 80s or 90s, few would've batted an eye (mind you, it still would have been racist). 

of course, the difference here is he walked his gaffe back immediately rather than doubling down on an overtly racist statement.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

On 8/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

nope : https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/why-joe-bidens-gaffes-matter

that is racism. it comes from a place of white privilege...more specifically, old white man white privilege. had that line been delivered in the 80s or 90s, few would've batted an eye (mind you, it still would have been racist). 

of course, the difference here is he walked his gaffe back immediately rather than doubling down on an overtly racist statement.

Walk back or not he needs to be cancelled.

If you ever make a mistake or say something out of line, it's your ticket to eternal damnation. Never have another job, lose all of your possessions, and destroy any semblance of a normal life you might aspire to have. That's the only reasonable way

• Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Walk back or not he needs to be cancelled.

If you ever make a mistake or say something out of line, it's your ticket to eternal damnation. Never have another job, lose all of your possessions, and destroy any semblance of a normal life you might aspire to have. That's the only reasonable way

huh?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

huh?

Not familiar with Cancel culture?

It's the thought that if you've ever had a racist/inappropriate/unacceptable joke, comment, or view at any point in your life, then you are permanently attached to that thing, regardless of any apology or personal growth since then. It's who you are, and you can never change that.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/entertainment/kevin-hart-oscars-step-down/index.html

If there's anything I know about Kevin Hart, it's that he's a raging homophobe and will continue to be for the rest of his life based on one tweet he made 10 years ago.

Same applies to creepy Joe. Once a racist, always a racist. 

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think he's commenting on how society outcasts people who are busted with recordings of them using racist language (see the likes of Paula Deen & Papa John).

Yes and no.

It's more the culture established on social media where people contact employers, family members, etc. to try and ruin your life based on something you said 15 years ago that you may not agree with or believe anymore.

I'm just tired of seeing people make stupid comments as teenagers/young adults etc, and getting crucified for them 20 years later. It's really unhealthy, and assumes the worst out of everyone

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

I feel like everybody knows who Biden is. He has questionable views on race and always has to some degree or another. He's also not concerned about associating with racists given his past relationships in Congress.

None of that is really worrying in 2019. What's worrying is that his 'gaffes' seem more like the onset of senility than "whoops, didn't mean to say that."