You tell me if you think they are.  Donald Trump is a racist and a sexist.  Donald was not raised the same way I was or he would not talk like he does.  My parents raised me in a different manner, Church is and was a part of my upbringing.  My reading of the Bible does nor approve of the actions of this person.  My parents raised me that if you do not have anything good to say about someone do not say anything at all.  I will be quiet now...........

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

49 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

You tell me if you think they are.  Donald Trump is a racist and a sexist.  Donald was not raised the same way I was or he would not talk like he does.  My parents raised me in a different manner, Church is and was a part of my upbringing.  My reading of the Bible does nor approve of the actions of this person.  My parents raised me that if you do not have anything good to say about someone do not say anything at all.  I will be quiet now...........

I agree, but a person in a leadership position also has to make difficult decisions and sometimes that includes making comments that others do not like. 

Donald Trump is sexist.  I struggle with the racist comments considering that state of minorities under his administration, low unemployment, etc..., and I feel like his comments, while insensitive, regarding Baltimore and other areas are not racist.  I would ask you to provide me with a specific example of his racism.

I am also a Christian and thus understand that there is not one person walking this earth that is without faults/sin.  To walk around ignoring the issues is as much a crime as supporting a racist agenda.  Trumps comments were about the town of Baltimore and were directed at Mr. Cummings, who in being one of Mr. Trump's greatest critics, has failed his constituents for years.  In my opinion, they are not racist but aimed at someone critical of what they perceive as Mr. Trump's shortcomings.  His response?  Highlight the individual that should not be casting stones.

So my question remains, were his comments about the plight in Baltimore racist?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would ask you to provide me with a specific example of his racism.

Exactly. I challenge you to come up with anything racist between the times of when he called for five innocent black men to be executed and when he told four members of the US Congress to go back to their own countries. Since we're using those as the cutoff dates, they don't count. Also Baltimore doesn't count, because it comes after the 'go back to your own countries' end date.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Exactly. I challenge you to come up with anything racist between the times of when he called for five innocent black men to be executed and when he told four members of the US Congress to go back to their own countries. Since we're using those as the cutoff dates, they don't count. Also Baltimore doesn't count, because it comes after the 'go back to your own countries' end date.

He called for the state of New York to reinstate the death penalty at the time of the conviction, at which time people didn't realize these young men were wrongly convicted.  His comments, at that time, relate to his hate of these people due to the act they committed and had nothing to do with their race.  Seems odd to me considering he just reinstated the Federal Death Penalty and of the 5 on the list, 3 are white, one Navajo and one African American.  Two others being considered are the Boston Marathon bomber/terrorist and Dylann Roof, a young white man convicted of a racial killing.

By the way, you applied the cutoff dates, not me. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He called for the state of New York to reinstate the death penalty at the time of the conviction, at which time people didn't realize these young men were wrongly convicted.  His comments, at that time, relate to his hate of these people due to the act they committed and had nothing to do with their race.  Seems odd to me considering he just reinstated the Federal Death Penalty and of the 5 on the list, 3 are white, one Navajo and one African American.  Two others being considered are the Boston Marathon bomber/terrorist and Dylann Roof, a young white man convicted of a racial killing.

By the way, you applied the cutoff dates, not me. 

What's worse is his insistence after they were exonerated that they were still guilty...he spends his time pointing out the flaws/crimes committed by those in minority communities or non-Christian faiths, but barely a whisper about mass shootings committed by those with white nationalist/supremacist beliefs.

Pointing out flaws in various cities/parts of America is not inherently racist. It's the way Trump does it, only in reference to minority areas and using dehumanizing language like infested and saying no human would want to live there (the people that do aren't human?). It's not like he spends his time pointing out how bad things are re: poverty and drug epidemic in say a more white area, like Kentucky. Let's not even get into the fact that Trump's own son in law is a landlord in Baltimore with numerous violations for substandard living conditions.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Also not even getting into the fact that he must have never taken and/or legitimately passed a basic civics class if he believe U.S. representatives have that kind of control over their districts as it relates to directly impacting living conditions. Their job is to represent their district in creating federal laws (with the hope that those laws have a positive benefit for their constituents and represents their wants and needs). It's not like he is out there appropriating money for fixing pot-holes, funding the police force, etc.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He called for the state of New York to reinstate the death penalty at the time of the conviction, at which time people didn't realize these young men were wrongly convicted.  His comments, at that time, relate to his hate of these people due to the act they committed and had nothing to do with their race. 

What, exactly, gives you the insight that it had "nothing to do with race"? As @meangreenacct added, Trump never admitted to being wrong about this and doubled down that 'they must have been doing something' if they weren't guilty of the rape. Now, you could take that back to Trump being absolutely incapable of admitting he was wrong, which is most definitely a personality flaw he has. Except, this is not an isolated incident and instead part of a well documented pattern of behavior.

Seems odd to me considering he just reinstated the Federal Death Penalty and of the 5 on the list, 3 are white, one Navajo and one African American.  Two others being considered are the Boston Marathon bomber/terrorist and Dylann Roof, a young white man convicted of a racial killing.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. The AG greenlighting a policy that also happens to kill convicted white people along with PoC doesn't absolve Trump of racism.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

What's worse is his insistence after they were exonerated that they were still guilty...he spends his time pointing out the flaws/crimes committed by those in minority communities or non-Christian faiths, but barely a whisper about mass shootings committed by those with white nationalist/supremacist beliefs.

Pointing out flaws in various cities/parts of America is not inherently racist. It's the way Trump does it, only in reference to minority areas and using dehumanizing language like infested and saying no human would want to live there (the people that do aren't human?). It's not like he spends his time pointing out how bad things are re: poverty and drug epidemic in say a more white area, like Kentucky. Let's not even get into the fact that Trump's own son in law is a landlord in Baltimore with numerous violations for substandard living conditions.

So every white person that insists OJ is guilty is a racist (just following your logic)?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I cut and pasted the relevant parts for context and content. Sorry for it reading kind of weird.  It was tricky trying to get a clean quote.  This is from June 2016.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1606/05/sotu.01.html

TAPPER: I want to ask you about comments you made about the judge in the Trump University case. 

TRUMP: Sure. Sure.

TAPPER: You said that you thought it was a conflict of interest that he was the judge because he's of Mexican heritage, even though he's from Indiana. 

TRUMP: OK. Yes. Yes.

TAPPER: But I don't care if you criticize him. That's fine. You can criticize every decision. 

What I'm saying is, if you invoke his race as a reason why he can't do his job...

TRUMP: I think that's why he's doing it. 

TAPPER: But...

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: I think that's why he's doing it. 

TAPPER: Is it not -- when Hillary Clinton says, this is a racist attack -- and you reject that -- if you are saying he can't do his job because of his race, is that not the definition of racism? 

TRUMP: No, I don't think so at all. 

TAPPER: No?

TRUMP: No. He's proud of his heritage. I -- I respect him for that. 

TAPPER: But you're saying he can't do his job because of that. 

TRUMP: Look, he's proud of his heritage. OK? I'm building a wall. Now, I think I'm going to do very well with Hispanics.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So every white person that insists OJ is guilty is a racist (just following your logic)?

Apples and oranges my friend. It’s not like they were just acquitted or had their case thrown out on a technicality...they literally found the person who actually did it and his dna matched, along with other evidence. So yea in the OJ case if they subsequently found the person who did it and had irrefutable evidence that they did it and yet you still insisted he was “guilt of something” in relation to the crime, that would be racist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/29/2019 at 10:25 AM, MCMLXXX said:

When Bernie Sanders compared Baltimore to a third world country, and made other negative statements about the city, was that racist? 

So, when Obama called the rioters in Baltimore criminals and thugs, was that racist?

https://nypost.com/2015/04/28/obama-calls-baltimore-rioters-criminals-and-thugs/

Was this filmmaker racist for the name of his film?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bs-fe-rat-film-20180226-story.html

Trump went after Eljiah Cummings because Cummings has been pushing for impeachment.  He became a target of Trumps as a result of his comments.

Is it racist that the last four mayors of Baltimore have been busted for corruption of some manner?

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So what about his point did you disagree with?

The guy is known for being devoid of intellectually honest debate and analysis. It would be akin to me asking readers if Breitbart what they think of this Daily Kos article. His premise is flawed. While some on the left view America as racist, overwhelming majority of them do not. While certainly there are instances of people crying racism when there is none to be found, he of his ilk fail to see racism where it does exist and short of the KKK burning a cross in someone’s front yard they fail to see it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So, when Obama called the rioters in Baltimore criminals and thugs, was that racist?

https://nypost.com/2015/04/28/obama-calls-baltimore-rioters-criminals-and-thugs/

Was this filmmaker racist for the name of his film?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bs-fe-rat-film-20180226-story.html

Trump went after Eljiah Cummings because Cummings has been pushing for impeachment.  He became a target of Trumps as a result of his comments.

Is it racist that the last four mayors of Baltimore have been busted for corruption of some manner?

Why would calling people who are committing crimes criminals be racist? If people were peacefully protesting injustice and he called them criminals and thugs...like say Trump did with the NFL players, that would be different.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

The guy is known for being devoid of intellectually honest debate and analysis. It would be akin to me asking readers if Breitbart what they think of this Daily Kos article. His premise is flawed. While some on the left view America as racist, overwhelming majority of them do not. While certainly there are instances of people crying racism when there is none to be found, he of his ilk fail to see racism where it does exist and short of the KKK burning a cross in someone’s front yard they fail to see it. 

I will say the one thing in the article I didn’t agree with is what you said. I don’t believe EVERYONE on the left thinks ALL Trump supporters are racist. That is a big part of the narrative though put out by the media. But I don’t believe it. 

I was more interested in his “test” 

I think that it’s more of an ideological disagreement between the left and right that gets labeled as racism. Even with Trump. He can attack Jerry Brown or Adam Schiff or Chuck Schumer and it’s “meh he’s just a jerk” but when he attacks Elijah Cummings or AOC or Omar it’s ONLY because he’s racist. Seems he attacks everyone on the left but his motives get questioned when he attacks certain people. Surely we can see the double standard? 

And I’m not a big Trump supporter by the way. I honestly try to look at things objectively. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, UNTLifer said:

Just curious. Were these comments racist as well?

I'm from suburban Baltimore, and I grew up in MD-7. Yes, Trump's statements are racist. There's a lot to unpack when it comes to Baltimore, but its clear that Trump's strategy for 2020 is to go back to his dog whistle attacks that rile up the base, but allow more "moderate" folk to assert plausible deniability: Big dirty city full of THOSE people? Bad, dirty and infested. Rural areas with REAL Americans? Good, clean, beautiful.

Baltimore is the prototypical post-industrial Rust Belt city. Industry left, and they've been stuck circling the drain since. Redlining, disinvestment by the historically suburban controlled state government, and white flight to the suburbs has only made things worse. It's right on I-95, making it a perfect stopping point along what is considered one of the main drug trafficking corridors in the country. The Baltimore Police Department has historically been heavy handed and blatantly corrupt, so there is no community trust. If you're in Baltimore City, you don't even bother calling the cops. It's not worth your time. If you've seen The Wire, you'll understand the basic dynamic. It's a spot on depiction. 

Where Trump goes into racist territory is when he says that the district "is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess," where "no human being would want to live there." 

1. All cities have garbage and rats. Have you ever been to New York, or San Francisco? I have a hard time believing that he is really worried about the cleanliness of the town. "Infestation" is commonly used by racists to refer to majority-minority places. This is not new.

2. No human being would want to live there? 600,000 Americans choose to live in MD-7. Are they not human beings? It's worth noting that MD-7 is about 160 out of 435 congressional districts in median household income. Meaning there are a lot worse off places in this country. What does Trump say about that?

My final point, Trump is the chief executive of the US Government. If he cared so much, where is his plan to help such "shithole" places?He doesn't care. As long as he can use struggling Americans as a political tool, he is getting what he wants. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4