Getting UNT alumnus on board

22 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I think we need a marketing strategy to go after this type of person, the UNT hard or alum who did not connect UNT to big timE athletics back in the day.  How can we reach out and get this type of prospect engaged?  There are so many!

I actually think it’s more effective to focus on the recent graduates of the last 20 years, alumni who saw SBC championships, an HoD bowl win at the Cotton Bowl, and the SL years. These people obviously care about 100x more about our teams than those who graduated in the 80s and 90s and saw us basically give up. Even in the 1-aa debacle, we fired the one coach who knew what he was doing in Corky Nelson and replaced him with a high school coach who was so far in over his head, it was ridiculous (not Todd Dodge for you newbies, but a guy named Dennis Parker). 

Norval Pohl saw that support for athletics could  keep people connected to the university. Until we hired Smatresk, we did not have that kind of leader in the administration. It took him a while, but getting rid of lazy-ass RV is why this place looks so different today. And it’s the success on the field that is the only advertising those lost generations of fans will ever see to determine if they will drop their love of a power league school and get interested in what we are doing. That’s still got a long ways to go to even scratch the surface of what could be out there if we ever win big. Remember, we have to do two things we have never done—beat a big name power league team or two AND win our conference. That’s the recipe to get people back or get them interested again.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:06 AM, GrandGreen said:

Much more revealing about the poster than the football teams involved. 

I hope those future employers get their blood pumping over that online degree. 

On 7/24/2019 at 7:08 AM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I was going to post a similar snarky comment if no one else did.  Online degrees are racket.  The poster may as well have gotten a University of Phoenix degree, especially if it was cheaper than OSU distance courses.  And if that's a online MBA, the twitter person seems to not understand what so much of the MBA experience is about... which is unique classroom experiences with your cohort.

I received my Masters the old fashioned way, by going to classes for two years at a now P5 school (Go Utes)... I still enjoy supporting the Utah football team, and even will switch to a Utes shirt on Saturday evening after UNT football if there's #Pac12AfterDark game.  But my first love will always be North Texas football.

And since I brought up Pac12... Fire Larry Scott!

Online degree programs are the future for universities, especially for graduate programs wanting to attract professionals. It’s not just University of Phoenix and Devry anymore.

Im studying online at A&M which is a top engineering school. We watch the same lectures as on campus students, it’s just recorded and posted for me later. I have the same hw, reports, projects and exams as well. For the exams, I have to either go to a testing center or have an online proctor which watches me via webcam.

When I was researching schools, almost all had some sort of online equivalent. I guess it depends on the program and school, but their definitely not a joke like you’re implying.

• Upvote 4

On 7/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, brooks91 said:

Online degree programs are the future for universities, especially for graduate programs wanting to attract professionals. It’s not just University of Phoenix and Devry anymore.

Im studying online at A&M which is a top engineering school. We watch the same lectures as on campus students, it’s just recorded and posted for me later. I have the same hw, reports, projects and exams as well. For the exams, I have to either go to a testing center or have an online proctor which watches me via webcam.

When I was researching schools, almost all had some sort of online equivalent. I guess it depends on the program and school, but their definitely not a joke like you’re implying.

The future of college education is an interesting arena ripe for disruption.  If what you claim is is that you get the same education online and then... ultimately finish up with a proctored exam, then who's to stop khan academy from offering a full "common" masters degree across all disciplines via youTube.   It would cost 1/10 the amount of any university and be ultimately just as effective as you sitting through the courses you sat through, no? In the end you're doing what? Sitting though an online "lecture" and then studying on your own and taking a test.  Why even have "professors" in the 1st place.  You see what I'm getting at? 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, Stan R said:

The future of college education is an interesting arena ripe for disruption.  If what you claim is is that you get the same education online and then... ultimately finish up with a proctored exam, then who's to stop khan academy from offering a full "common" masters degree across all disciplines via youTube.   It would cost 1/10 the amount of any university and be ultimately just as effective as you sitting through the courses you sat through, no? In the end you're doing what? Sitting though an online "lecture" and then studying on your own and taking a test.  Why even have "professors" in the 1st place.  You see what I'm getting at? 

Good point, there’s no replacing in class lecture but professors are still available to me. It was difficult getting used to but it can be done.

i would say that Khan Academy is not the same as UNT in any regard though. It’s not an accredited institution that offers degrees employers would value. It’s all about brand and name recognition. Maybe that can change but for now, I see more universities establishing online programs to market to professionals who may have a family or a job that doesn’t allow them to attend a traditional class.

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 1

"I guess it depends on the program and school, but their definitely not a joke like you’re implying."

There's a grammar joke in there. 

I agree with you. The name brand online business school is the future for all the middle career people wanting to jump up. However, does it really help in that effort? Time will tell. I bet it helps in some capacity, but in my experience over the years, boots on the ground OR who you know -- those are the two things that matter in doing serious ladder climbing. 

I had a director level guy come in that my former company hired - he was a Pepperdine grad. I tried to bond with him about Pepperdine and he said he didn't know anything about it because he was 100% remote grad program. He was a douche, but that is beside the fact. If anyone tried to bond about school experiences with that guy, it would go no where -- which is often what those business school degrees do.

I think online stuff can be great for Udacity stuff - to get real world example projects published for developers - but isn't good to list on your resume. 

But really, what do I know? The future is a crazy place. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1