Getting UNT alumnus on board

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I hope those future employers get their blood pumping over that online degree. 

I was going to post a similar snarky comment if no one else did.  Online degrees are racket.  The poster may as well have gotten a University of Phoenix degree, especially if it was cheaper than OSU distance courses.  And if that's a online MBA, the twitter person seems to not understand what so much of the MBA experience is about... which is unique classroom experiences with your cohort.

I received my Masters the old fashioned way, by going to classes for two years at a now P5 school (Go Utes)... I still enjoy supporting the Utah football team, and even will switch to a Utes shirt on Saturday evening after UNT football if there's #Pac12AfterDark game.  But my first love will always be North Texas football.

And since I brought up Pac12... Fire Larry Scott!

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

I never understood why UNT alumni’s root for other teams they have no affiliation with until a couple of years in my college career. It’s all about socializing and following a trend. A friend I work with is a UNT alumni and likes his school and the sport teams, but he is a die hard Arkansas fan because growing up his dad liked Arkansas. I mean he buys more of their merchandise and even has a Arkansas license plate cover. You think after that ass whooping we gave them last year he would leave the dark side and join the good guys again...nope not at all. 

There was a article I read a couple of years ago that 90% of UT fans didn’t even go to UT.....nothing but a bunch of weak bandwagon fans. 

• Upvote 3

For some areas, I can get why there are T-shirt fans. The local college football team may be the only one they can attend and not have to travel 6 hours to see a Pro team. Or there are factors like family who have attended a P5 school, so they show their support in honor of the family. 

UNT is light years ahead of where it was a few years ago though. It's hard to jump on board a program that has notoriously been losing games. I think winning will create lifelong fans. Let's build off of our future students and alumni.  

• Upvote 3

I wonder what if anything this Okie State "fan" does to support Oklahoma State.  If he is/was so removed from Stillwater that he couldn't/didn't attend classes there, how likely is he to send them a check or buy season tickets.

Thankfully, everyone that reads and posts on GOMEANGREEN.com is a member of the Mean Green Scholarship Fund Club and buys season tickets.

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Sadly, the poster is a small sample of the many, many UNT graduates/fans who are result of the 20 year period that UNT endured by falling back to D1AA/FCS.  And the fact that UNT officials back then. did not do their job.

Sadly, Deep, I think that the UNT officials did exactly what they knew the UNT Family’s majority wanted. This town and it’s students, faculty, and alumni either didn’t care about our teams or loathed their existence. Hell, Hayden fry left here because he couldn’t get a 9-2 team that was ranked into a small bowl game back in 1978 because no bowl committee wanted to invite us due to our lack of attendance. Today would be MUCH different, but that’s why the administration has done a 180 on this.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Much more revealing about the poster than the football teams involved. 

I hope those future employers get their blood pumping over that online degree. 

I really hope his on-line football team does well this year. 

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Absolute wankers. How can anyone take pride in bandwagoning the success of a program you have absolutely no affiliation to? Feel like I would be embarrassed if someone asked me why I support a certain school and had absolutely no affiliation or reason for that.

7 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I was going to post a similar snarky comment if no one else did.  Online degrees are racket.  The poster may as well have gotten a University of Phoenix degree, especially if it was cheaper than OSU distance courses.  And if that's a online MBA, the twitter person seems to not understand what so much of the MBA experience is about... which is unique classroom experiences with your cohort.

I received my Masters the old fashioned way, by going to classes for two years at a now P5 school (Go Utes)... I still enjoy supporting the Utah football team, and even will switch to a Utes shirt on Saturday evening after UNT football if there's #Pac12AfterDark game.  But my first love will always be North Texas football.

And since I brought up Pac12... Fire Larry Scott!

Good on you, I got my Masters in England where schools don't give 2 damns about college sports. As a result, North Texas is and will always be number one. I could jump on the bandwagon and say that "My Grad School doesn't have sports so I can support whatever Grad School I want" but I don't.

6 hours ago, Big Z said:

I never understood why UNT alumni’s root for other teams they have no affiliation with until a couple of years in my college career. It’s all about socializing and following a trend. A friend I work with is a UNT alumni and likes his school and the sport teams, but he is a die hard Arkansas fan because growing up his dad liked Arkansas. I mean he buys more of their merchandise and even has a Arkansas license plate cover. You think after that ass whooping we gave them last year he would leave the dark side and join the good guys again...nope not at all. 

There was a article I read a couple of years ago that 90% of UT fans didn’t even go to UT.....nothing but a bunch of weak bandwagon fans. 

I can see the social aspect of it. Living in Kansas, everyone is KU, K-State, or Missouruh. GF (future fiance) went to KU so it does help when socializing to say I follow KU and have something to talk about. It's the same problem here, everyone jumps on the KU basketball bandwagon around basketball season when 90% of people didn't even go there. 

• Upvote 2

Not to burst any one’s bubble but universities - including our’s - are in the business of monetizing education.  They want to find ways to make more money.  It’s of no surprise to me that UNT is now offering online courses (didn’t look: is an online degree in there?).

• Upvote 4

On 7/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, greenminer said:

Not to burst any one’s bubble but universities - including our’s - are in the business of monetizing education.  They want to find ways to make more money.  It’s of no surprise to me that UNT is now offering online courses (didn’t look: is an online degree in there?).

Oh no, nothing wrong with accredited online degrees, not the most respected way to go of course but, this was some sort of get yer PhD in a A 3-hour course for $1,500.  Seems uber sketchy to me. 

• Upvote 1