Is Fouts now a parking lot?

I was told that the cost per vehicle to build a parking garage was $10,000 per parking space.

I was under the understanding that Richardson Parking Systems built the parking garage near the Union Building and that after some time period (20-25 years) that it would be turned over to the University.  Former NT Police chief Dan Martin was a principle with Richardson and this is where I get my information. 

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I was told that the cost per vehicle to build a parking garage was $10,000 per parking space.

That tracks with the information I was given way back on President's Sustainability Council when the Highland Street garage was built. In comparison, surface lot spaces are at best $1,000 per vehicle. That's why they're preferred but are a massive tradeoff. When space is a premium, we'll always want to build vertically. There are just stark financial realities that come with that decision.

I’m an idiot: why are parking garages so much?

I would think with the minimal build (concrete, no need for plumbing, basic electricity), they’d be simple/cheap and the payback from parking fees would payoff the cost in a couple years.

Obviously, I’m wrong/oversimplifying.  Would like to know why it would be $10K/spot.  That’s wild to me.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I’m an idiot: why are parking garages so much?

I would think with the minimal build (concrete, no need for plumbing, basic electricity), they’d be simple/cheap and the payback from parking fees would payoff the cost in a couple years.

Obviously, I’m wrong/oversimplifying.  Would like to know why it would be $10K/spot.  That’s wild to me.

I think it’s because of the structure itself.  They take way more concrete & rebar to build because of the weight of all the cars that would be parked in it.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, MrStrange18 said:

Prooooove it

TX_Denton_Fouts_Field-The_Super_Pit_CON_

img847-S.jpg

4BDF433A-CB37-43B5-B476-17635033659A.jpeg

I viewed the eagle on the stadium as a North Texas icon for decades and didn't want to see it unceremoniously discarded during the renovations. I would have liked to have kept the entire bird, but my bride is not quite that lenient with my fanaticism.

(pictured with it are a rare NTSU bobblehead, and an ultra-rare NTSC eagle statue on which the bobblehead is based)

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3