Is Fouts now a parking lot?

Have the areas which were formerly occupied by Fouts Field and the adjacent practice fields been converted into a parking lot? Are the lots completed, or will they be completed by football season?

Parking was a real issue the last time we hosted Houston in 2011. A significantly larger crowd is expected for this season's game, and these additional lots would certainly help the situation.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Have the areas which were formerly occupied by Fouts Field and the adjacent practice fields been converted into a parking lot? Are the lots completed, or will they be completed by football season?

Parking was a real issue the last time we hosted Houston in 2011. A significantly larger crowd is expected for this season's game, and these additional lots would certainly help the situation.

So, NOW we have the added Blue Lot that was completed, ehhh around mid to end of last season?   But trying to remember, seems like all of the ORIGINAL Blue Lot wasnt 100% completed by that first game, like it got expanded some a year or so after? 

.Maybe I'm remembering it wrong?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I suggested to Wren that a plaque be placed at the goal lines or at midfield to let people know what was here for over 50 years.  

I agree. I hope they do what a lot of places do and make some markers on the pavement that outline where the field was.

• Upvote 3

I am sure the players can provide much more insight, but having played in at least one gmg.com bowl game (benefiting the Andrew Smith scholarship fund), I can attest to the fact that Fouts Field WAS a parking lot. If even for just the post-death penalty $MU game and the Booger Baylor game, that parking lot will hold sentimental longings until I pass. But it WAS a parking lot.

GMG

• Upvote 5

On 7/22/2019 at 7:26 PM, meangreenlax said:

I hope they intend on dressing up that sea of asphalt with trees or something. The only thing worse than a lack of parking is a big ugly multiacre patch of cheap asphalt. 

Long term plan is to have a parking garage, a bus terminus, and intramural fields there.  Remember, the plan is for all students, and most staff, to park across the highway and bus onto campus.

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Long term plan is to have a parking garage, a bus terminus, and intramural fields there.  Remember, the plan is for all students, and most staff, to park across the highway and bus onto campus.

My understanding is that it could be 20+ years before they build a garage on that location. I was in a talk with the director of transportation or whatever a couple years ago and he said they're still paying off the one they built on the other side of campus. The cost per parking spot is almost cost prohibitive.

img847-S.jpg

I remember the huge Mean Green Eagle on Fouts that faced I-35 for decades.

I also remember how sad it was when I saw the dismantled eagle components sticking out of the construction dumpster during renovation.

I wish I had at least kept the head for prosperity's sake. Oh wait, I did.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ADLER said:

img847-S.jpg

I remember the huge Mean Green Eagle on Fouts that faced I-35 for decades.

I also remember how sad it was when I saw the dismantled eagle components sticking out of the construction dumpster during renovation.

I wish I had at least kept the head for prosperity's sake. Oh wait, I did.

Prooooove it

• Upvote 3

On 7/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, greenjoe said:

I suggested to Wren that a plaque be placed at the goal lines or at midfield to let people know what was here for over 50 years.  

I was hoping that some of the architectural features - mainly those column-toppers would be incorporated into Apogee somehow, even if it was just one of them as a historical marker.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I was thinking, drama students have a theater, voice students get an opera house, music students have the Murchison. Shouldn’t our Jazz students have a speak easy in which to hone their craft?

look up GIF by Hootsuite

17 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

My understanding is that it could be 20+ years before they build a garage on that location. I was in a talk with the director of transportation or whatever a couple years ago and he said they're still paying off the one they built on the other side of campus. The cost per parking spot is almost cost prohibitive.

Debt service on parking structures is massive as those buildings cannot serve any other purpose - the way the load distribution and bearing is designed, etc. It's just nearly impossible to make any other kind of building out of a parking structure, so it would require complete demolition for something else to be there.

• Upvote 1