Jamario Thomas

Harry

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Also, I believe Dickey pulled him out of a game when he could have set the NCAA record for yards in the first 10 games

Wasn’t that against Idaho after pulling up on a run out of bounds holding his hamstring?

That was the end of the magic right there.  He never was the same the next three years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I don’t know if he was truly an “unknown”, at least not to those who were truly plugged in.  

When he signed and Dickey held the signing class event I remember him saying “I almost don’t want to show you this next kid, because the expectations will be ridiculous” or something to that effect.  Then he showed the high school tape and jaws dropped. 

IIRC, Thomas chose us because of a program UNT had that helped those with a learning need/disability.  I think he was dyslexic?

He had some quality offers.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Found the full play-by-play

Opening drive: CO quick 3-and-out
UNT answer:
1st snap: (14:20 - 1st) Scott Hall (UNT) pass left side complete to Johnny Quinn (UNT) for 16 yards.
2nd snap: (14:10 - 1st) Jamario Thomas (UNT) rushed up the middle for a 60 yard touchdown.
XP: (14:10 - 1st) Extra point by Nick Bazaldua (UNT) is good.

I couldn't find a video of the full run, but I thought this find was really cool.   I love driving Memory Lane.

2005 UNT Video Board Kick Off Video

I was at Riprock's with a good buddy of mine. When he busted that run, I got so excited that I jumped up and knocked over a pitcher of beer.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Would that have been the same timeframe Littrell was the running backs coach at Tech?

Good thought, but no.

Looks like SL was a GA at KU during Jamario’s HS SR year, plus his FR year at UNT.

He got the TTech gig when Jamario entered year 2 in Denton.

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, UNTLifer said:

Not sure if he lost his shoe, but I remember him hurdling a Colorado player during that run.  I bet FFR was there.

I was there. First words out of CO coach's mouth at half time was "who recruits East Texas?". Ralphie the CO Buff pulled three of his handlers down getting to his trailer at halftime. Standing in concession line one CU fan asked me where North Texas was located. I said we are about as far from Dallas as Boulder is from Denver, but we are about twice your size. A North Texas fan behind him cracked up at my TRUE observation.. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, MeanGreenTeeth said:

It was from Burgertime, dummy.  That's why he was call Jamario "Burger Droppin" Thomas.    It was a play on Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's.

No need to call me a dummy because I didn't know the music. I am sure there are a lot of things you don't know. I just wanted to know where the music came from because it sounded similar to the music from the video game Galaga. I could get nasty back, but I won't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

No need to call me a dummy because I didn't know the music. I am sure there are a lot of things you don't know. I just wanted to know where the music came from because it sounded similar to the music from the video game Galaga. I could get nasty back, but I won't.

It was a joke..sorry for the confusion.  The music is really from Super Mario Bros.   I was (and mistakenly thought you were) being facetious.  No insult was intended.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

It was a joke..sorry for the confusion.  The music is really from Super Mario Bros.   I was (and mistakenly thought you were) being facetious.  No insult was intended.

I apologize as well. I wish I was being facetious. I had genuinely never heard the music before. I never played the Super Mario Bros game before. I stopped playing video games when Galaga was in the arcade and the music sounded similar so I thought maybe that was where it was from.

18 hours ago, Venson said:

I apologize as well. I wish I was being facetious. I had genuinely never heard the music before. I never played the Super Mario Bros game before. I stopped playing video games when Galaga was in the arcade and the music sounded similar so I thought maybe that was where it was from.

I believe the sound you are familiar with is called "EIGHT BIT".

• Upvote 1