Jamario Thomas

Harry

6 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Very cool. But who’s the guy at the end?  Could it be?

Ha.  That was a fun trip.  I think it was the double header on ESPN that due to the earlier MAC game that went to OT...didn’t kickoff till around 9 p.m.?  And when the teams came out for the second half a heavy dew had settled on the field.  Had never seen that before.

Great game by SPJ and the Mean Green.

Rick

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Venson said:

Was the music from Galaga or something?

gotta add this - it's probably what inspired them to use the 8 bit video game music:

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stix said:

gotta add this - it's probably what inspired them to use the 8 bit video game music:

Ahhh Mario. I knew it was video game music. It just sounded similar to Galaga, but Galaga was a little different. Especially when you let your fighter get captured to save it so you could have two fighters. Haha

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I still say that freshman Jamario was the best back I’ve ever seen at North Texas.  The hamstring injury, and having to share a backfield with Cobbs, kept him from obliterating the rushing record.  

Yes, one of the best running back years in NCAA history.

If Jamarios' seasons could be reversed, his freshman numbers to his senior year; etc: he would undoubtedly be thought of as a much better player.  

He never recovered the quickness of before the injury.  If he had, he would not having been sharing the ball with anyone. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

His "break out" game at Colorado was legendary.  That game and the run where he lost his shoe at Fouts stand out to me.  Hope he is doing well.  

Wasn't his first touch at Colorado a 50+ yard TD scamper that involved a lost shoe?

I heard he looked so fast, a kid no-one knew about, that the looks on the Buffs players' faces were hilarious. @FirefightnRick were you there?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Wasn't his first touch at Colorado a 50+ yard TD scamper that involved a lost shoe?

I heard he looked so fast, a kid no-one knew about, that the looks on the Buffs players were hilarious. @FirefightnRick were you there?

Not sure if he lost his shoe, but I remember him hurdling a Colorado player during that run.  I bet FFR was there.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not sure if he lost his shoe, but I remember him hurdling a Colorado player during that run.  I bet FFR was there.

Found the full play-by-play

Opening drive: CO quick 3-and-out
UNT answer:
1st snap: (14:20 - 1st) Scott Hall (UNT) pass left side complete to Johnny Quinn (UNT) for 16 yards.
2nd snap: (14:10 - 1st) Jamario Thomas (UNT) rushed up the middle for a 60 yard touchdown.
XP: (14:10 - 1st) Extra point by Nick Bazaldua (UNT) is good.

I couldn't find a video of the full run, but I thought this find was really cool.   I love driving Memory Lane.

2005 UNT Video Board Kick Off Video

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

I don’t know if he was truly an “unknown”, at least not to those who were truly plugged in.  

When he signed and Dickey held the signing class event I remember him saying “I almost don’t want to show you this next kid, because the expectations will be ridiculous” or something to that effect.  Then he showed the high school tape and jaws dropped. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

I heard he looked so fast, a kid no-one knew about, that the looks on the Buffs players' faces were hilarious. @FirefightnRick were you there?

I was not.  Watched it from the house.

But.....the worst aspect of that season IMO was when Cobbs re-injured his arm two weeks before in a meaningless blowout loss against Texas(Unfortunately I was there for that one)....and because of that they put SPJ into that game towards the end and he got two carries as the game wound down.  Those two carries were unfortunate because they caused his yards-per-game average to be much lower than what it should have been because his total yards were divisible by 10 games instead of 9.  Had he only played in 9 gamse his yard-per-game average would have been insane at around 200 yards per game.  Whereas it ended up at 180 or so.?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

41 minutes ago, Felozano said:

I have a buddy that was on the team at the time. I forgot the names, but one coach (Dickey?) wanted to play Jamario and another coach didn’t believe Jamario was ready. During the TD run, the coach (Dickey?) screamed, “Is he f***ing ready now?!?!”

Haha, sounds like Dickey. 

Was Zuniga on that line? I would’ve bet money he would play in the league a few years. 

• Haha 1