@ Cal Sept. 14th

26 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

worth every penny

244100_10100207545189810_4539082_o.jpg

Agree...but as a course...I think Spyglass was much better than Pebble Beach. A better challenge to the golfer as well.  If you are a golfer, you definitely need to play the Pebble Beach courses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I just bought my Cal-Berkley tickets.  $35. ea

Did you get a message saying no delivery and to pick up from Apogee the day of the event? That stopped me from buying on the UNT ticket web site.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

image.png.27958e8abb6e95ed3a70e765fd9877ad.png

Purchase here - http://bit.ly/UNTCalTrip

Just in case you all have not seen this deal?

Kudos to the University for putting this together... The price seems high (especially for two), but using Kayak/Hotwire/Expedia can escape some folks.  Hope they continue to organize these sort of travel packages.  Maybe with time the package costs will track closer to the Average Joe's cost of booking. 

Anyone know what hotel the team hotel is?  I probably won't get there early enough for a Friday night event, but just in case.  I'd might just change my reservation there anyways.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Kudos to the University for putting this together... The price seems high (especially for two), but using Kayak/Hotwire/Expedia can escape some folks.  Hope they continue to organize these sort of travel packages.  Maybe with time the package costs will track closer to the Average Joe's cost of booking. 

Anyone know what hotel the team hotel is?  I probably won't get there early enough for a Friday night event, but just in case.  I'd might just change my reservation there anyways.

The hotel for that package is the Walnut Creek Marriott

Address: 2355 N Main St, Walnut Creek, CA 94596

• Upvote 2

I am a California newbie. Flight is booked, flying into San Fran Friday afternoon. Game tickets are bought. 

I am going with 3 of my recent Alumni buddies, need recommendations on hotels to stay at either in San Fran or close to Berkeley.

Where is the main college bar strip for Cal?

Top two places to sight see/eat in the Bay because only there until Sunday night.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Yikes... Thats a haul inland from Berkley.  Do they normally stay that far away from the town they're playing in?  Is it a cost thing?

Oh my bad, I misunderstood I thought you meant the main hotel that the athletic department booked for the fans. Hopefully the team staying closer to stadium.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I thought it was a little high also, but it really isn’t too bad. A quick google flights search shows that if you don’t want to fly Spirit, flights will be around 450-500. Hotel is going to run 300-400. Game tickets 35. And this includes transport to and from both the Oakland airport and the game, which you have to figure is worth a minimum of 100, probably up to 200 if you were doing taxi/Uber/shuttles. 

So it isn’t a bargain per se, but not too far out of range. Plus you have to figure there is going to be pretty good access to AD officials. Also some people don’t want to deal with arrangements and this provides everything for a good experience. 

(Now if they are booking everyone on Spirit then all my above praise is canceled.)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I thought it was a little high also, but it really isn’t too bad. A quick google flights search shows that if you don’t want to fly Spirit, flights will be around 450-500. Hotel is going to run 300-400. Game tickets 35. And this includes transport to and from both the Oakland airport and the game, which you have to figure is worth a minimum of 100, probably up to 200 if you were doing taxi/Uber/shuttles. 

So it isn’t a bargain per se, but not too far out of range. Plus you have to figure there is going to be pretty good access to AD officials. Also some people don’t want to deal with arrangements and this provides everything for a good experience. 

(Now if they are booking everyone on Spirit then all my above praise is canceled.)

Hmm. We did:
AA flights Friday and Sunday: $390
An incredibly nice AirBnB that is within 200' from the stadium: $343
Rental car reservation and fuel estimation: $110
Game tickets: $70
So heading into the weekend around $920 minus food and drink.

I dunno - I'd hope a lot of that price exceeding $1000 would be for the convenience of not having to plan these details, but if the hotel is really that far away...

• Upvote 3

On 7/21/2019 at 12:14 AM, NT93 said:

We were in SF a couple of years ago in late May and went to a Giants game and I agree that the ballpark is great.  Bring a jacket though, much cooler than we expected.

We also drove around campus and went by the stadium.  I told my wife that I bet it’d be an awesome place to watch a game.  The location is very cool and I thought that before knowing about the view from the east rim.  I bet that is a fantastic!

Unfortunately is not in the cards for me to make this game. And even more unfortunate is that work may keep me from most games this year😢😢😢

Actually, the west rim might be the better vantage point now because of the large press box they built during the remodel. 

2398E758-52FD-440B-9558-C46A0CB4AA0F.jpeg

157BEAD1-8460-4638-ADD5-152052D8F72A.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:22 AM, TheNewEra said:

I am a California newbie. Flight is booked, flying into San Fran Friday afternoon. Game tickets are bought. 

I am going with 3 of my recent Alumni buddies, need recommendations on hotels to stay at either in San Fran or close to Berkeley.

Where is the main college bar strip for Cal?

Top two places to sight see/eat in the Bay because only there until Sunday night.

Telegraph Avenue is the main strip but there are many options right near campus. If you want more upscale, there are restaurants and bars on the Northside of campus in an area called the “Gourmet Ghetto”.

Berkeley has world class dining and no shortage of places with endless variety. The two must go places for me are Chez Panisse, the birthplace of the American farm to table movement and one of the most influential restaurants in the US (make a reservation way in advance. I prefer the more casual and a la carte upstairs cafe to the more formal, set menu downstairs restaurant) and Top Dog. Simply, some of the best hot dogs and sausages you’ll ever have. Top Dog is where every student for 50 years has eaten and is iconic. I dream of the place. New York hot dogs leave me hugely unsatisfied. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, NYCGOBEARS said:

Telegraph Avenue is the main strip but there are many options right near campus. If you want more upscale, there are restaurants and bars on the Northside of campus in an area called the “Gourmet Ghetto”.

Berkeley has world class dining and no shortage of places with endless variety. The two must go places for me are Chez Panisse, the birthplace of the American farm to table movement and one of the most influential restaurants in the US (make a reservation way in advance. I prefer the more casual and a la carte upstairs cafe to the more formal, set menu downstairs restaurant) and Top Dog. Simply, some of the best hot dogs and sausages you’ll ever have. Top Dog is where every student for 50 years has eaten and is iconic. I dream of the place. New York hot dogs leave me hugely unsatisfied. 

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely prob check out telegraph ave one of the nights & top dog. Chez Panisse looks awesome but I will prob save that for my second trip back when I have more time.

Going to check out GG bridge and was told Fort Point is the coolest view for picture?

Also booking alcatraz tour shortly. Those are probably all we will have time for besides the Tailgate & game.

• Upvote 3

On 7/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, TheNewEra said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely prob check out telegraph ave one of the nights & top dog. Chez Panisse looks awesome but I will prob save that for my second trip back when I have more time.

Going to check out GG bridge and was told Fort Point is the coolest view for picture?

Also booking alcatraz tour shortly. Those are probably all we will have time for besides the Tailgate & game.

Fantastic. Yeah, smart to not plan too many things. Go with the flow and see what you bump into. 

Fort Point is beautiful. You’ll love the view.

It’s a little ways from campus (easy uber ride) but some of my favorite bars are on San Pablo Ave. If you have time, do a short crawl there either at the beginning or end of your night. 

Although all the sausages at Top Dog are great, my favorite thing to order is a hot and a brat (hot link & bratwurst). Being a Texan, you know what great ones taste like and I’m sure you’ll enjoy them. Please let me know and have a great time... other than the game, of course. 

Edited by NYCGOBEARS
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 2:15 PM, KRAM1 said:

Agree...but as a course...I think Spyglass was much better than Pebble Beach. A better challenge to the golfer as well.  If you are a golfer, you definitely need to play the Pebble Beach courses.

Try Lincoln Park in SF for a much cheaper golf option-Great views.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, jacksondf said:

Try Lincoln Park in SF for a much cheaper golf option-Great views.

Will definitely give it a go if I find myself out that way.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Damn, KRAM, somebody has their finger on the downvote button just waiting for you to post. 

Yes. Pretty funny, isn’t it? I give it no mind. Just petty people being petty. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 7