@ Cal Sept. 14th

If we can take care of business the first two weeks, this one looks to be another defining game for the Mean Green.  

Doing some research, it appears their defense is their strength.  How we move the ball and protect Fine in Reeder’s new offense will obviously be key.  

Your thoughts on how we win this one?  

• Upvote 2

They are not a repeat of the Arkansas game. Not downplaying our win versus Arkansas but they did have qb issues. And the punt return classic did a lot to have the hogs fall apart. So I am expecting a tougher game even with a mid to low level pac 12 team. But I am confident enough to make the trip 

• Upvote 7

This could be the toughest D we’ve faced with Fine. Since Florida his freshman year?

We can’t be predictable. Gonna have to have a game plan. Catch them off guard. The whole point of an offense like ours is to put the ball where they ain’t.

We’re gonna have to put the ball where they ain’t. 

• Upvote 1

Excited to see how the new TE usage increases opportunities for the with other WR's and the running game.  I think this will be a fun game.  Would love to get a win on the road, but the UNT fan in me (late 90's and through the Dickey/Dodge era) hopes for something competitive and not getting blown out by 50 points.

• Upvote 2

Excited for the game... Already bought my plane tickets and I'll be staying at the Doubletree in Berkeley.  I don't think the away game tickets were up on the website yet to buy, but I also haven't looked in 2 or 3 weeks.

I did my masters in PAC12 country (Go Utes) and still follow the conference.  PAC12 always seems to produce entertaining games if you stay up late enough to watch them.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I am coming to the game as well. Staying in San Francisco close to the Giants stadium. We plan on going to a baseball game that Friday night. Alcatraz Saturday morning and then catching an uber to Berkeley for the game. Does anyone know when the away game tickets go on sale?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Did anyone watch the Cheeze-It bowl with them and TCU last year? Might've been quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen. Something like 8 combined turnovers and horrendous QB play

I watched it also and agree.  But I can’t go by bowl game performances to gauge how this one turns out.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Our offense was a clown show all year, culminating in the ignominy that was the Cheez It Bowl. I can’t even bear to eat those any more. 

We’re hoping that this years offense is addition by subtraction in that we hope to have newcomers at the skill positions make a positive impact and our QB’s won’t turn the ball over at every opportunity. 

You guys will have an elite offense but seem to have lost some important pieces to a defensive unit that was trending up. How do you guys feel about your D?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, NYCGOBEARS said:

Our offense was a clown show all year, culminating in the ignominy that was the Cheez It Bowl. I can’t even bear to eat those any more. 

We’re hoping that this years offense is addition by subtraction in that we hope to have newcomers at the skill positions make a positive impact and our QB’s won’t turn the ball over at every opportunity. 

You guys will have an elite offense but seem to have lost some important pieces to a defensive unit that was trending up. How do you guys feel about your D?

My greatest worry is who replaces E.J. and Garner at linebacker.  I think the DL will be better and our CB's about the same although we are breaking in a couple of new players at the CB position.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NYCGOBEARS said:

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm fairly nervous about next year's defense.  I think our D-line will be slightly improved, and you guys will have a load to deal with up front (including the JACK linebackers here since they're usually rushing). 

Behind that, this scheme (3-3-5) relies on playmaking LBs and corners who excel in man coverage.  We had 2 starting LBs & both starting CBs graduate (3 of whom are now in the NFL), and the guys who played sparingly behind them last year left a LOT do be desired.   
Coach Littrell went out and replaced the CBs with 2 grad transfers from A&M & AZSt, so hopefully the dropoff is not as significant as it could have been at those spots.   
We had quite a gap in talent between the 2 LBs who graduated and the underclassmen coming up behind them.  I'm not entirely convinced whoever starts here in our first game of the year will be starting when we play y'all 2 weeks later.

Basically, y'all are going to have to deal with a very potent offense.   Y'all played a HECKUVA game against WASt last year, keeping the Pirate's offense in check for the most part.   If Cal can replicate that performance, you should win easily.  If that bowl game team shows up, NT will win easily.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I expect a much closer game than most do. As with most games, the difference will be who wins the turnover margin. I’d be surprised if Cal wins by more than 7-10 points and wouldn’t be too shocked to lose a tight one. Although, if we do lose to y’all it’s gonna be a long season for us in a stacked Pac 12 North. No offense. 

Edited by NYCGOBEARS
  • Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

hmm...I guess @FirefightnRick doesn't realize that if you tag a poster, hit submit reply and then delete the post, it still alerts said poster. 

I wonder what clever hippie witticism I'm missing out on. 

Yeah, I was gonna defend your hippie honor with the “God hates dirty hippies “ jab above,...but figured you could do it be than I could.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2