What Would Be Your Ideal Conference For UNT? Part 45

DeepGreen

If I'm being honest....I don't care who in the current CUSA/Sun Belt we're with...

I want to be in a conference with SMU, Houston and La Tech. From a regional/rival aspect....that's the best scenario. Fill in with Rice and UTEP for a division if you must. Bowl contracts and TV deals are up soon....D1 is going to blow up. I know the topic is just CUSA/Sunbelt but G5 is going to explode....I would put it back together like this:

West: UNT, UH, SMU, La Tech, Rice, UTEP, UTSA 

East: UAB, Troy, Ark St, Memphis, MTSU, USM, ULaLa

You know....if it were up to me

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If I'm being honest....I don't care who in the current CUSA/Sun Belt we're with...

I want to be in a conference with SMU, Houston and La Tech. From a regional/rival aspect....that's the best scenario. Fill in with Rice and UTEP for a division if you must. Bowl contracts and TV deals are up soon....D1 is going to blow up. I know the topic is just CUSA/Sunbelt but G5 is going to explode....I would put it back together like this:

West: UNT, UH, SMU, La Tech, Rice, UTEP, UTSA 

East: UAB, Troy, Ark St, Memphis, MTSU, USM, ULaLa

You know....if it were up to me

I've seen a lot of the 16 team super conference scenario thrown out....

We could get there by adding TX St in the West and...maybe South Alabama  in the East?

Good rivalries, close travel. I think it would actually have local interest

UNT/SMU

UNT/La Tech

UH/Rice

UTSA/TX State (or UTEP)

Ark St/Memphis

UAB/USM

MTSU/Memphis

La Tech/USM

Troy/S Alabama

There are some teams there that don't like each other.....

SMU, Houston and Memphis would have to give up on their hope of being in the new Div 1 (that will probably have 40-50 teams)

image.png.10fe9583036cacfad3017ec6af0a7e32.png

Edited by TheColonyEagle

On 7/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, DeepGreen said:

Short of moving to the AAC or MWC, based on "swapping teams" with the Sunbelt and being more regionalized, what would be your ideal 10 team conference?

UNT, La Tech, Arkansas State, USM, UTEP, UAB, nutsak, WKU, Tx State, RICE

Edit:  Forgot about Rice.  Eliminated Troy

I just can't see why anyone would want to be in a conference with these teams. Is it more important that we can travel to a few of the games rather than playing an opponent that generates pride if we beat them because they are not a small regional school? These teams do not travel well, we do not travel well when we play them. Why? Simply because not many care about them, have heard of them, or care to see our school play them. Period. I feel like people who want this small regional conference are really disconnected about what the students want. The majority want to see UNT playing higher caliber, better known teams. That's what they will show up to see. What do you think the attendance will be when we play ACU? Probably not very good. 

This tired and worn out discussion is still taking place despite us moving to a marginally better conference. Let's move on. Let's set our sights a little bit higher than Arkansas State and Texas State...please. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, Daddy Dumpsalot said:

I just can't see why anyone would want to be in a conference with these teams. Is it more important that we can travel to a few of the games rather than playing an opponent that generates pride if we beat them because they are not a small regional school? These teams do not travel well, we do not travel well when we play them. Why? Simply because not many care about them, have heard of them, or care to see our school play them. Period. I feel like people who want this small regional conference are really disconnected about what the students want. The majority want to see UNT playing higher caliber, better known teams. That's what they will show up to see. What do you think the attendance will be when we play ACU? Probably not very good. 

This tired and worn out discussion is still taking place despite us moving to a marginally better conference. Let's move on. Let's set our sights a little bit higher than Arkansas State and Texas State...please. 

Daddy, I couldn't agree with you more.  The discussion I created had more to do with where we are(CUSA) and what teams we might consider lining up with should a CUSA/SBC merger take place.  Would such a merger move us upward?  I don't think so either.  Would being a member of the AAC or MWC be an upward movement for UNT?  Absolutely!  I'm just trying to be practical about our current conference affiliation and how we can possibly improve it, or make it easier for the fans.  Sure, going the MWC route would be a tougher trip for our fans, as would an AAC affiliation.  But I would take either of those conferences in a heartbeat.  The reality is, as far as I know, neither of those conferences have contacted UNT about moving West or East to CUSA.  

Edit: Make that East to the AAC.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Daddy, I couldn't agree with you more.  The discussion I created had more to do with where we are(CUSA) and what teams we might consider lining up with should a CUSA/SBC merger take place.  Would such a merger move us upward?  I don't think so either.  Would being a member of the AAC or MWC be an upward movement for UNT?  Absolutely!  I'm just trying to be practical about our current conference affiliation and how we can possibly improve it, or make it easier for the fans.  Sure, going the MWC route would be a tougher trip for our fans, as would an AAC affiliation.  But I would take either of those conferences in a heartbeat.  The reality is, as far as I know, neither of those conferences have contacted UNT about moving West or East to CUSA.  

Get a room

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1