What Would Be Your Ideal Conference For UNT? Part 45

DeepGreen

Short of moving to the AAC or MWC, based on "swapping teams" with the Sunbelt and being more regionalized, what would be your ideal 10 team conference?

UNT, La Tech, Arkansas State, USM, UTEP, UAB, nutsak, WKU, Tx State, RICE

Edit:  Forgot about Rice.  Eliminated Troy

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

If it's just teams from CUSA and Sunbelt, I suppose the below..

UNT, LaTech, Ulala, Arky State, UTEP, USM, UTSA, Rice, TX State

I would go ULM over USM on this... other than that, I would be down for this

or add them to this list to make it an even 10 members

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

I would go ULM over USM on this... other than that, I would be down for this

or add them to this list to make it an even 10 members

I'm curious as to why you would pick ULM over USM? The golden eagles have more of a deep-rooted football program IMO. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, drycreek said:

I COULD BUY INTO THIS

This would be a dream scenario. I think Texas Tech will go wherever UT goes, which is going to be out West most likely.

Baylor and TCU are the teams the MWC probably waits on for the league to get back into Texas.

My guess is that the AAC will continue to be more regionalized, as UConn and probably Temple leave to keep their hoops programs at the top end of the college basketball world. Their TV deal continues to prioritize TV markets, so I'd expect them to add in two programs from markets that would be attractive to ESPN. Right now, that would be one of the following NIU (Chicago), MUTS (Nashville), F_U (Miami, FLL) or UTSA (San Antonio). While we rightfully know that we would bring waaaaayyyyy more to the AAC than current member SMU, the league and ESPN relies on SMU for DFW exposure, which I laughable for many reasons, but they have been snowed by the SWC media here to believe that SMU brings that market.

If MUTS or an F_U got invited, our replacement for them will probably follow the current CUSA trend of getting bigger markets, which would probably mean that Georgia State in Atlanta would be at the top of CUSA's priority list of someone more accomplished like Appy State, Arky State, or Troy. Ridiculous, but that is what CUSA leadership has deemed as important in the last several years of realignment. See Charlotte, ODU, F_U, UTSA, and us. If UTSA got invited, Texas State would easily get added to replace them, which would be fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I'm curious as to why you would pick ULM over USM? The golden eagles have more of a deep-rooted football program IMO. 

I pick them over USM if we were going regional is all.  Would seem weird to leave ULM out.  USM would make sense with a more eastern-centric conference with MTSU, ODU, F_U... all those guys

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

UNT 

Texas

Rice

Houston

UTSA

KU

TX State

SMU

UMass

Colorado

A&M

Harvard

Advantages: When I visit in-laws (Houston/KC) I have the excuse of going to UNT football and avoiding them for 2-6 hours pending tailgates. Fiancee loves cape cod/other ritzy northeast areas, so drop her off and go to UMAss/Harvard vs UNT game. Denver to Austin is direct and cheap on Southwest and I like running. 

Every road game is south on 35 or in Austin, which means all texas roadtrips are less than 3 hours, which means roadtrip wont be more than $28 in gas pending OPEC. 

"You can't spell BLUNT without UNT" shirts could be popular in boulder. 

Disadvantages: Yale may get jealous that Harvard is in our conference. No one likes UMass. UT/ A&M  might not have enough of a regional footprint to compete and really add anything to a school of our stature. We might lose players who decide to float the river in San Marcos rather than play the football game. Too many clips of Necessary Roughness might be shown. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

La Tech has said they won’t join a conference with ULM in it I believe.

LaTech.. The SMU of Conference USA.. Would this apply to La Lafayette?

27 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

I pick them over USM if we were going regional is all.  Would seem weird to leave ULM out.  USM would make sense with a more eastern-centric conference with MTSU, ODU, F_U... all those guys

ULM I guess I could see, USM is only an 8 hour drive from Denton.. So I consider local. Since UTEP is much longer distance wise,, 

• Upvote 1

While this would be my fifth choice (behind B12, AAC, MWC and taking the top teams from the SBC) I believe that this would be the most fair.

Let me qualify this by saying I prefer 12 team conferences so I would make CUSA and Sun Belt each 12 team conferences, taking five from the SBC and giving them seven in return.

My revised CUSA would be UTEP, North Texas, UTSA, Rice, LaTech, and Texas State, in the west and ULM, Louisiana, Arkansas State, Southern Miss, UAB, and South Alabama in the east.

That would give the Sun Belt Troy, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina in the south and Charlotte, Appalachian State, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion and Marshall in the north.

Regional conferences, at the lower G5 level, would save a lot of travel expenses and most could drive to any conference foe.  We would gain somewhat on attendance average and the SBC would gain in total attendance with two more members. 

Incidently, that would make all G5s 12 member conferences with five independents. 

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

While this would be my fifth choice (behind B12, AAC, MWC and taking the top teams from the SBC) I believe that this would be the most fair.

Let me qualify this by saying I prefer 12 team conferences so I would make CUSA and Sun Belt each 12 team conferences, taking five from the SBC and giving them seven in return.

My revised CUSA would be UTEP, North Texas, UTSA, Rice, LaTech, and Texas State, in the west and ULM, Louisiana, Arkansas State, Southern Miss, UAB, and South Alabama in the east.

That would give the Sun Belt Troy, Florida Atlantic, FIU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina in the south and Charlotte, Appalachian State, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion and Marshall in the north.

Regional conferences, at the lower G5 level, would save a lot of travel expenses and most could drive to any conference foe.  We would gain somewhat on attendance average and the SBC would gain in total attendance with two more members. 

Incidently, that would make all G5s 12 member conferences with five independents. 

Would there be a way to keep conf members as is and schedule  conf play between the C- USA and the SBC based off of east and west locations  and still have a SB Champ game and a C-USA Champ game? PS I would like to see 1-1 with MWC teams.

11 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I love this...so perfectly drawn up. Kudos, GrayEagle. This would make so much sense.