Brendon Weatherspoon Out For His Health

12 minutes ago, ADLER said:

He's kidding. #quitter is a running gag on gmg.com for any time someone leaves the program.

I think it's quite obvious this decision is being made because of health concerns.

I miss some of the older gags we used to have on here. From El guapo to @Censored by Laurie‘s weekly round up that made fun of the posters on the board and beyond. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

My biggest long-term question mark about this roster is the future of the offensive line. The caliber of commits really hasn’t picked up the last two classes like it has at other positions, and there really are only two non-seniors on this roster who have made any noise since being on campus.

Who is going to start on the line in 2020 besides Brammer and Mose? I get we’re still a year out but our 2020 class seems full on linemen, and none of those guys are very heralded recruits that seem like immediate contributor types. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Our recently signed class had a few pretty highly regarded young OL's in the likes of Byers, Brunner and Cassidy.  I hate this for Weatherspoon.  Seemed like a good young man that had a couple of ACL injuries the past couple of years.  While I am sorry we won't get to see him play, I wish him much success in his future.

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Our recently signed class had a few pretty highly regarded young OL's in the likes of Byers, Brunner and Cassidy. 

Brunner and Cassidy were both rated 2 stars by 247 and only had one other FBS offer each. Doesn’t mean they won’t be good, but I don’t see how that classifies as highly regarded. Byers had 4 other FBS offers and was rated a 3-Star on 247. He could qualify as highly regarded, depending on what your parameters on highly regarded are.

Year before that it was Redfearn, Carroll, and Brown who all were 2 stars and all had zero other FBS offers. And none of them showed up on the 2-deep, which did have a 270 lb third-year sophomore at both backup tackle spots and a walkon at backup center. The other two guys on the 2-deep were a senior and a fourth-year junior. Need a few of the young guys to step up and show they can play on this level, preferably soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Brunner and Cassidy were both rated 2 stars by 247 and only had one other FBS offer each. Doesn’t mean they won’t be good, but I don’t see how that classifies as highly regarded. Byers had 4 other FBS offers and was rated a 3-Star on 247. He could qualify as highly regarded, depending on what your parameters on highly regarded are.

Year before that it was Redfearn, Carroll, and Brown who all were 2 stars and all had zero other FBS offers. And none of them showed up on the 2-deep, which did have a 270 lb third-year sophomore at both backup tackle spots and a walkon at backup center. The other two guys on the 2-deep were a senior and a fourth-year junior. Need a few of the young guys to step up and show they can play on this level, preferably soon.

We're going to keep depending on transfers to plug in the holes. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ll admit my eyes have diminished with age, but these look like 3 star ratings for Brunner and Cassidy to me.  

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’ll admit my eyes have diminished with age, but these look like 3 star ratings for Brunner and Cassidy to me.  

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Their composite ratings are 3 stars, but 247’s stand-alone rating for each of them is a 78.

Rivals also rated them as 2-stars. The reason they have composite 3-Star ratings is because ESPN gives out 3-Star ratings to basically everyone. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

My biggest long-term question mark about this roster is the future of the offensive line. The caliber of commits really hasn’t picked up the last two classes like it has at other positions, and there really are only two non-seniors on this roster who have made any noise since being on campus.

Who is going to start on the line in 2020 besides Brammer and Mose? I get we’re still a year out but our 2020 class seems full on linemen, and none of those guys are very heralded recruits that seem like immediate contributor types. 

I know different coaches have different recruiting zones so they may be looking at players who don’t play the position they coach.  But who pulls the trigger on offering?

Say, for instance, coach Scott (a LBs Coach) finds an OL prospect on one of his visits to a HS in his zone.  Does he look at the tape and offer himself?  Or does he send the tape to Langston & Reeder to review first before offering?

• Upvote 1

I really believe our O line has finally stabilized at a much higher level. When was the last time we had 2 OL picked as all conf players. The key for us is to be able to continuing to develop. Have some size with length and we will put the lbs on them.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know different coaches have different recruiting zones so they may be looking at players who don’t play the position they coach.  But who pulls the trigger on offering?

Say, for instance, coach Scott (a LBs Coach) finds an OL prospect on one of his visits to a HS in his zone.  Does he look at the tape and offer himself?  Or does he send the tape to Langston & Reeder to review first before offering?

I don’t know this staff’s procedures that well. But I’m pretty sure all the offensive coaches will watch the film together before they offer a player. And Littrell will sign off on every offer

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t know this staff’s procedures that well. But I’m pretty sure all the offensive coaches will watch the film together before they offer a player. And Littrell will sign off on every offer

Bingo

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Live action shot of coaches scouting a future commit:

hobbit-day-20171.jpg?w=1200

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, BillySee58 said:

Their composite ratings are 3 stars, but 247’s stand-alone rating for each of them is a 78.

Rivals also rated them as 2-stars. The reason they have composite 3-Star ratings is because ESPN gives out 3-Star ratings to basically everyone. 

And the rating system used to rate each team in CUSA and in FCS is the 247 Composite rating. The same one we get all excited about because our class is highly rated and ranked first or second in conference. 

• Upvote 1

Hate to suggest this, but we should be bringing in some JC linemen(both OC and DC) for the past several years.  I don't like to do that but top shelf linemen are at a premium theses days.  To me, they are a big part of making or breaking a great season.  At this state of the Seth Littrell era, we should not have this much trouble bringing in top linemen.

• Thanks 1