• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Moobs

Upcoming Garage Sale

looks like a lot of the same stuff, plus some stuff I’ve not seen for sale before, including chrome helmets. 

60505199-F488-47F8-BFA4-C54F962A0414.jpeg.6dd3ee7996542aca3d37956c3f4bbe68.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  Something I've always wondered-Who makes the decision as to what facemask goes on which helmet ?  I understand that a lineman's helmet usually gets a more dense cage but, for example, the helmets pictured above are similar but different.  How many combinations are there and who decides ?  And there are different brand helmets now.  Who decides and what is the lifespan of a collegiate helmet ? 

6 for Heisman

GO MEAN GREEN

42 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I wonder why three are getting rid of the chrome dome? I liked the look of them!

Change in technology i guess. New helmet that are safer for the player so they get rid of the old ones

• Upvote 2

Need an on line site folks for like me and El Paso Eagle.  And many others.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 5

I agree need an online component for those that live to far to get there. I posted it on there Facebook page but no response.   

Edited by dml7007
  • Ray 1

Save some items for out of town and Make them have an out of town address to send it to.

gmg

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 1

Not sure how many of you have been to the UNT surplus warehouse before.  It’s usually open one day per week to the public.  It seems to be a pretty low budget operation with low prices.  Piles of stuff in a warehouse,  you grab what you want and take it to a guy with an old school cash register.  For those asking for online ordering and shipping, I think this would be a substantial change to how they do stuff.  It would probably impact what they’d have to charge for stuff as well (to cover additional labor and technology).

Texas Government Code Title 10, Subtitle D, Chapter 2175, Subchapter A. 7200+ words of fun, sexy rules and regulations governing surplus and salvage property for State purchasing and services agencies. 

Public schools get a lot of latitude on exactly what methods they want to use to dispense with this sort of surplus property, but they do have a lot of parameters structuring how and why they can work within those options. Feel free to read through it if you really want to... I'd hate to spoil the plot twists and shocking character reveals contained therein. 

UNT system doesn't seem to have their guidelines public like the UT system does. You can read some of their governing restrictions and guidelines in the equally scintillating Rule #80201 of the University of Texas System Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents. Think of it as an equally erotic ~1500 word sequel to the 7200+ word General Code. 

There's also stuff out there for State Parks & Wildlife, various municipalities... You can look up a lot of regulations on the topic if encumbrances and bailments go hand-in-hand with tumescence in your sick, twisted world. 

Basically, it looks like everything gets disposed in either direct public sale, or online public auction. UNT system regulations aren't public, at least not anywhere I can find them, but you can deduce from our Public Surplus setup through the Property Management department that everything is done through public sale, with two required parameters guiding offering and sale of property: 

1) Fixed price

2) First come, first served

That seems to be how we Get Rid Of Stuff as a University without discriminating or showing favoritism or whatever else you need to do to legally Get Rid Of Stuff as a public agency owner Of Stuff. 

Some places that have a lot more one-off items of high dollar value (construction equipment, police and fire vehicles, etc.) do more with online auctions. But we don't seem to have that for the UNT system, presumably because it isn't a great system for getting rid of $5 surplus desks and mildly to moderately stained brown padded lobby chairs for $10. Processing, posting, photographing, managing, and shipping/delivering the sort of stuff we do in UNT surplus isn't well suited to online auction on the hopes that an auctioned "Bag of Various Seasonal Decorations" might go for 75 cents instead of 50 cents through direct sale. 

Even if we did have an online sale system, and the department decided to use it instead of using this event as an attendance and excitement driver for athletics events, you'd just end up having to outbid people in a best-price auction, and people would be pissed off about why come this cost so much, and why come we doesn't git first dibs as donors, etcetera etcetera etcetera. 

So, if you're unhappy with how this system works, make sure you don't hop on the phone with your MGC representative or whatever poor intern renews your tickets. While I'm sure they'll love hearing about belt onions and the like, even Wren Baker has no real discretion on process and legal requirements on how this all gets done. 

If you're unhappy with public sale options for chrome helmets, you need to talk to your state legislators. Find your state congressman and senator, and make sure you tell them exactly what you want changed and why. Make a convincing enough case, and they'll be able to take it up first thing in the morning on Tuesday, January 12th, 2021 when the state legislature reconvenes. 

Then, once that law is changed, speak directly to whatever Regent or Regents you know best... Maybe a child's godparent or a trusted spiritual advisor that also happens to be on the UNT system BOR. They'll need to shepherd the necessary changes through the Board of Regents process to rework our institutional rules governing distribution of surplus property to the public. 

Then, take your lobbying efforts to whoever happens to be the Director of Property Management at the UNT home campus in Denton in (presumably) May or June of 2021. Be clear, be humble, be a passionate orator and advocate of your position. Make sure they know WHY they need to change their departmental systems and processes to suit your shiny helmet needs. And, of course, make sure that they know you've already handled lobbying both at the state legislative level, AND the UNT system institutional compliance policy/rule level. That way, they know they're actually able to do shiny helmet sales in the way you feel would be most appropriate. 

Or, alternate option, just do what @Silent Eagle did when I bought him surplus jerseys, and just ask someone on GMG to help you out because you're out of town. I can think of at least 5 or 6 people that have bought and shipped stuff for strangers here on GMG, and presumably someone with a kind heart will be at this sale and will pick up an item or two for you. 

A few years ago when I was living in Virginia someone this board bought a uniform from the Heart of Dallas Bowl and shipped it to me (I paid for the jersey and shipping, of course).  I'd suggest working out something like that.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Who the F is Tasty?

Some guy that used to work here. 

I think he's Amish now. Can't use the internet or anything. 

5 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Some guy that used to work here. 

I think he's Amish now. Can't use the internet or anything. 

#Sad

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

#Sad

Prithee, English... Tend to thine own fields.

Rejoice, for our leaders have cast aside these wicked, sinful, shiny bonnets, and in the season ahead can instead play in a more Godly straw hat of plain humility. 

2 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Prithee, English... Tend to thine own fields.

Rejoice, for our leaders have cast aside these wicked, sinful, shiny bonnets, and in the season ahead can instead play in a more Godly straw hat of plain humility. 

I respect that. Like my prophet Biggie said “Mo’ money, mo’ problems.”  Also keep your family and your money completely separated. Money and blood don’t mix like 2 dicks and no bitch.”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

How much does stuff generally cost at these things? Like a helmet or off hand polo/sweatshirt?

Here’s a thread from a few years ago when we were lucky enough to get some advance pricing. This should give you an idea. But certainly subject to change.

• Thanks 2