Dane Brugler article at The Athletic

pastorgrant

Dane Brugler just put out a way too early scouting rankings of senior QBs and had Mason Fine at 14th among senior QBs. This is as an NFL prospect, not a college QB. There weren't any notes on the reasoning, but I assume size is the main concern.

Hopefully he won't get overlooked, but he will be a steal for someone if he does.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, pastorgrant said:

Dane Brugler just put out a way too early scouting rankings of senior QBs and had Mason Fine at 14th among senior QBs. This is as an NFL prospect, not a college QB. There weren't any notes on the reasoning, but I assume size is the main concern.

Hopefully he won't get overlooked, but he will be a steal for someone if he does.

That's not a fair ranking in my opinion.  Add this guy to a long list of non-believers.

Or is it something else.  Could it be they perceive more clicks if they provid coverage of bigger school or P5 QB's.

Cause the size thing is horseshit,  look at the last two OU QB's that went to the NFL they were both Fine's size...

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Cause the size thing is horseshit,  look at the last two OU QB's that went to the NFL they were both Fine's size...

I thought those OU quarterbacks were all-world athletes, like ran a 4.3 40 and were high baseball draft prospects. Is Fine identical to them in every tangible?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I thought those OU quarterbacks were all-world athletes, like ran a 4.3 40 and were high baseball draft prospects. Is Fine identical to them in every tangible?

Try running at QB in the NFL for any significant time and see what happens.   I put Fine's passing, release and decision making up against either of them.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

14th, just in the Senior class?   So there are even more Juniors (& possibly Sophs) ranked ahead of him in this guy's mind?  I don't have an The Athletic subscription, so I don't know what the article says.

Of course not the whole article, but here's a pull to answer your question:

Pre-season top-20 senior quarterbacks:

1. Herbert
2. Steven Montez, Colorado (6-4, 232)
3. Nate Stanley, Iowa (6-4, 245)
4. Joe Burrow, LSU (6-3, 212)
5. Shea Patterson, Michigan (6-2, 212)
6. James Morgan, Florida International (6-4, 230)
7. Brian Lewerke, Michigan State (6-3, 221)
8. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (6-1, 223)
9. Blake Barnett, South Florida (6-4, 213)
10. Riley Neal, Vanderbilt (6-5, 232)
11. Tommy Stevens, Mississippi State (6-5, 229)
12. Jake Bentley, South Carolina (6-4, 221)
13. Kelly Bryant, Missouri (6-4, 221)
14. Mason Fine, North Texas (5-10, 191)
15. Tom Flacco, Towson (6-1, 207)
16. Bryce Perkins, Virginia (6-4, 218)
17. Case Cookus, Northern Arizona (6-3, 208)
18. Jacob Knipp, Northern Colorado (6-3, 208)
19. Khalil Tate, Arizona (6-2, 216)
20. Nathan Rourke, Ohio (6-1, 211)

Pre-season top-10 underclassmen quarterbacks:

1. Tagovailoa
2. Fromm
3. Love
4. Costello
6. Jacob Eason, Washington (6-5, 230)
7. Sam Ehlinger, Texas (6-2, 234)
8. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M (6-2, 220)
9. Ian Book, Notre Dame (6-0, 208)
10. Brady White, Memphis (6-2, 209)

He also, uh, forgot a Number 5 there in top-10 underclassmen QBs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Of course not the whole article, but here's a pull to answer your question:

He also, uh, forgot a Number 5 there in top-10 underclassmen QBs.

How the hell is FIU QB so far ahead of Mason? Poor list. 

• Upvote 1

Mason has a lot in his favor. He has started a lot of games, his production will get him more than a seriously look, and the height of the last two Heisman winners/#1 overall picks helps as well.

It also helps with the way QB contracts are that if a team can get someone in the third or fourth round to be a starter, they can allocate their money everywhere else. So teams may feel impulsed to role the dice on Fine fairly early in the draft instead of writing him off as an UDFA.

Mason just needs to keep doing what he does.

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Mo Green said:

All we have to do is WIN to change this ranking!

👍

....and beating California would make for a great start in changing that ranking. 

The difference for Fine, if he ever makes it to an NFL team, will be what I observed in fall practice of his freshman year........he just oozed confidence from every pore.  That goes a long way for a savvy coach. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1