Cost of Wins in CBB

jdennis82

Really interesting deep dive into the cost of winning in CBB...

The Cost of Winning: Measuring return on investment in D1 basketball

"...The question I kept coming back to: Which schools are getting the best return on their investment?

To figure this out, I took the EADA data from the ten most recent years available, spanning from 2008 to 2017. The reports are about two years behind, but I think there’s still much to be gleaned from them. Then, I used datasets made available by Sports-Reference to track total wins and winning percentage by year.

In order to determine the relative return on investment, I looked at each school’s average wins over the ten-year span as a function of how much was spent on the program, measured in millions of dollars. To keep the numbers from being skewed by schools with low win totals and even lower investments, I adjusted the numbers to reflect winning percentage over the decade.

The resultant number is what I call “adjusted return on expenses”, or ROE+. (I am using “expenses” instead of “investment” to differentiate between money spent by the universities and revenue earned.)..."

Source: https://dieckhoff66.wordpress.com/2019/07/09/cost-winning-division-i/

Unfortunately, the scope of the review encompassed the entire Benford tenure and, as a result, North Texas came in at #143 in ROE+

School Years Avg. Exp. Avg. Wins ROE+ Win Cost E
North Texas 10 $2,203,743.40 16.6 3.91 $132,755.63

Not sure there's much of a takeaway here, but found it an interesting study nonetheless.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1