DRC: 10 things UNT fans should know about DeAndre Torrey

Brett Vito

Torrey has earned the starting nod, but just about every back is going to see lots of action. If Easly is back to where he was before his injury, he will be next in line. But the real story will be our being able to truly customize our running game to any opponent and any situation during a game. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I feel like Torrey unfairly caught some criticism on our short yardage failures (and there were some critical ones that cost us games) last season. I look forward to seeing how Reeder will use him. He likes to run the ball (as does Littrell) The short yardage problems can be fixed with creative play calling....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I feel like Torrey unfairly caught some criticism on our short yardage failures (and there were some critical ones that cost us games) last season. I look forward to seeing how Reeder will use him. He likes to run the ball (as does Littrell) The short yardage problems can be fixed with creative play calling....

....and improved O-line play.

• Upvote 4

Loren should have a good shot to get his starting job back as you aren’t supposed to lose those due to injury. I expect they will get some reps for Torrey as well as Nick Smith and the kid from Arkansas.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Loren should have a good shot to get his starting job back as you aren’t supposed to lose those due to injury. I expect they will get some reps for Torrey as well as Nick Smith and the kid from Arkansas.

Addaway is a real Wild Card in the backfield as of now.   
He got here over the semester break, so he was here for Spring Practice, which is huge.   This puts him ahead of any of the other incoming Freshmen.  Plus, he already looks bigger than any of our other RBs, including Easley. 
(L-R: Addaway, Torrey, Easley, Johnson, Wyche, Smith, Siggers)
D9DlUEBWkAUKx4q.jpg:large

Addaway is definitely a candidate for breakout Freshman.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Quite honestly maybe too deep.  Probably will need someone to play another position no?

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They just moved Siggers back to RB from his brief experiment at Safety last year.  Seems Littrell wants a bunch of RBs.

I mean outside of special teams I can't imagine Evan Johnson and Wyche will get much playing time. Siggers is fairly unknown but was a highly rated recruit out of HS. Addaway is a true freshman but clearly the biggest of the group, and Easly is coming off an injury.

Right now we only have Torrey and Smith as "known" commodities(Johnson looked good his freshman year). Everyone else is questionable to a certain degree. Which probably lends to having such a deep backfield. Plus it doesn't hurt to have the best situational players available.

Bill Belichick talked about it this past season with his RB's. He would never ask Burkhead to do James White's job, and would never ask Sony Michel to do Rex Burkhead's job. Everyone is good at something, let that guy do what he's good at, and let the others do what they're good at

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Addaway is a real Wild Card in the backfield as of now.   
He got here over the semester break, so he was here for Spring Practice, which is huge.   This puts him ahead of any of the other incoming Freshmen.  Plus, he already looks bigger than any of our other RBs, including Easley. 
(L-R: Addaway, Torrey, Easley, Johnson, Wyche, Smith, Siggers)
D9DlUEBWkAUKx4q.jpg:large

Addaway is definitely a candidate for breakout Freshman.

I call Wyche the "player that won't go away".  After Wyche came to NT they kept bringing in other RB's that got more press and notice, and one would assume that Wyche would have just taken the hint and moved on. The next thing you know, your watching a scrimmage (spring or fall) and suddenly there he is,  busting out with a big run. I truly admire the guy......he never gives up.

• Upvote 3